Buying DSLR : d70 or d40x

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxwayne

Nov 6, 2007
Hi, I am new to digital photography and buying a DSLR, right now I am considering 2 options,

Either a D40x which shares the same sensor as the D200, but which does not have an internal focusing motor / or a 2nd hand D70 which is a good $200 cheaper with a better lens.

Pls advise.
Tks!!!:)

I would say D40x. D70 is really too old. Can start to fail le.

If you can, try to search and get a D50.

Tks Andy, the d50 is only a few mths newer than the d70 though if i am not wrong. Are DSLRs made to last long? Like film SLRs?

Emm, nope. D70 is a lot older then D70s which is then followed by D50.

So my best option would be a d40x? The reviews have mostly been good except that it doesn't have the internal focusing motor which means I wont be able to get lens off the 2nd hand market, thats my main worry actually and why I am considering the d70.

So my best option would be a d40x? The reviews have mostly been good except that it doesn't have the internal focusing motor which means I wont be able to get lens off the 2nd hand market, thats my main worry actually and why I am considering the d70.

If that's your concern, why not try to get hold of a D80 or D50?

d80 is a little too expensive, almost double the D40x, but maybe I will consider the d50. Thanks!

d80 is a little too expensive, almost double the D40x, but maybe I will consider the d50. Thanks!

i think that would be quite a good choice!:thumbsup:cause the d40x can onli take af-s lenses if i not wrong

It's quite hard to find a d70s nowadays. I think I might consider a d80. Is this a reasonable price? $1350 for the body alone new. Anyone selling a good condition d50?

Search the B&S forum ?
I saw someone selling D70s with 18-70 kit lens last week for about 950/- or something.

Some difference bet D70s and D50 :
Age : About the same, the D70s is consider the big brother model of D50 at that time.

D70s has two separate dial for Aperture and shuttle speed.
D50 you need to press a button and dial at the same time to change the shutter speed.

D70s has a button to light up the top LCD, which I find very useful at dark night , D50 does not have this.

Image wise should be about the same between D70s and D50.

D70s use CF card, D50 use SD card which I find a bit fragile.
Lately, someone lose the entire honeymoon photos when he break his SD card during travel.

My 2 cts.

Search the B&S forum ?
I saw someone selling D70s with 18-70 kit lens last week for about 950/- or something.

Some difference bet D70s and D50 :
Age : About the same, the D70s is consider the big brother model of D50 at that time.

D70s has two separate dial for Aperture and shuttle speed.
D50 you need to press a button and dial at the same time to change the shutter speed.

D70s has a button to light up the top LCD, which I find very useful at dark night , D50 does have this.

Image wise should be about the same between D70s and D50.

D70s use CF card, D50 use SD card which I find a bit fragile.
Lately, someone lose the entire honeymoon photos when he break his SD card.

My 2 cts.

I have used D50 & D70s before and is now holding D80.

Personally, APART FROM MORE ADVANCED CONTROL on my D80 (I do not think you need that now), I loved my D50 Most. D70s somehow is still having older sensor then the D50. The noise is more then the D50.

D50 in-built curves is really nice. (To thread starter, if you do not understand what it means, it simply means the colour productions in your JPEG Files)

To me, IF YOU REALLY wanted to get the D40x, I would say get a D40 is enough. I am only shooting on 5MP Jpeg mode with my D80 now. It is more then enough. Smaller files is also good to handle. A 12MP file with an inferior lens will AMPLIFY the errors in fact.:sweatsm:

Thus, my personal advise:
To fit all lenses: D50
If you can compromise: D40

Hi, I am new to digital photography and buying a DSLR, right now I am considering 2 options,

Either a D40x which shares the same sensor as the D200, but which does not have an internal focusing motor / or a 2nd hand D70 which is a good $200 cheaper with a better lens.

Pls advise.
Tks!!!:)

if you consider D70/40, why don't try a D100, much better semi-pro cam!

D70s somehow is still having older sensor then the D50. The noise is more then the D50.
Are you sure ?

D50 in-built curves is really nice. (To thread starter, if you do not understand what it means, it simply means the colour productions in your JPEG Files)
No problem, just download the sreala2 curve and load it to your D70s, your JPEG images automatically come out beautifully.

if you consider D70/40, why don't try a D100, much better semi-pro cam!

Isn't the d100 a little old? released in 2002, so it must be at least 4 years old! I dunno if Dslrs are built to last like the old film slrs therefore not really considering the d100, most probably getting the d40x since its so hard to find the d50 or d70s in good condition and d40 is out of production.

After reading all the posts it seems a d70 is out, I'm worried about the breaking down and repairs. If I get a d40x it's brand new so I will have the warranty, that will likely be my choice this weekend.
Any further advice will be appreciated tks!:)

D50 may still be able to find in Harvey Norman. But its not the Best price you will see. I think may sell at around 1.2k. For that price, you might as well go and get your 1.35k D80. Lol.

You sure you want the D40x rather then the D40? ;-p

Emm, get a Dry Cabinet after you've acquired the camera, if you have not had one.

Lastly, ENJOY YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY!! ;-)

out of curiousity...why andy ang questioninig d40x over d40? other than the 10-6 megapixel,? id d40 every good as d40x?

Status
Not open for further replies.