Buying Domke J1 Cam Bag From Adorama

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltiger

Mar 30, 2006
Chinatown
Hi I wish to check have any of CS members have buy the above bag or others stuff from Adorama ? Is it safe cos I wanted to buy the bag & Cathay Photo are selling it @ & $390 & is cheaper to buy online but duno worth to buy online.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...System Bags & Cases&feature1=Domke&Startat=41

Thanks for all help in adv:)

Hi I wish to check have any of CS members have buy the above bag or others stuff from Adorama ? Is it safe cos I wanted to buy the bag & Cathay Photo are selling it @ & $390 & is cheaper to buy online but duno worth to buy online.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...System Bags & Cases&feature1=Domke&Startat=41

those prices stated at in USD (rate is about 1.5 USD to 1 SGD), you also have to factor in shipping charges.

so $168.95 convert to SGD, its actually more ex then cathay photo!

http://www.adorama.com/DMJ1.html

Last edited:
those prices stated at in USD (rate is about 1.5 USD to 1 SGD), you also have to factor in shipping charges.

so $168.95 convert to SGD, its actually more ex then cathay photo!

http://www.adorama.com/DMJ1.html

errrr, your maths fail haha. ;)

on b&h, domke j-1 plus UPS worldwide saver to singapore = USD217.10 = SGD325.50
on adorama, domke j-1 plus UPS worldwide express = USD221.05 = SGD 331.58

don't bother trying to combine orders to split shipping costs, once u cross SGD 400 (inclusive of shipping) u will have to pay GST, which will probably negate any cost savings.

my personal experience with b&h, bought a camera and lens from there and it arrived in 1 week. adorama is pretty equal to b&h in terms of price, speed, reliability.

Did you end up buying this bag?
clear.gif

Hi,

I didn't buy a J1, but i did buy an F2. From Amazon.com

After factoring the exchange rate, and the fact that amazon stupidly packed the bag into a super big box thus inflating the transport cost that was calculated by volume, it was still $50 cheaper than buying locally.

If u specifically request for them to flatten the bag for transport, it can be significantly cheaper. Alternatively group some kakis tgt and import as 1 shipment via vpost, also can save quite alot

Hope that helps.

I think you should just buy air tickets to HK for 332, and buy your bag there better. Sightseeing plus shopping at the same time.

Hi,

After factoring the exchange rate, and the fact that amazon stupidly packed the bag into a super big box thus inflating the transport cost that was calculated by volume, it was still $50 cheaper than buying locally.

If u specifically request for them to flatten the bag for transport, it can be significantly cheaper. Alternatively group some kakis tgt and import as 1 shipment via vpost, also can save quite alot

Hope that helps.

bro yah amazon really stupid. pack my bag until so big, vpost charge me 8.4 kg (actual weight of bag only 2.2kg)!

i emailed to amazon and they agree to refund me the balance from the actual weight and volumetric weight. i think you should email amazon and ask them for refund. :)

if you are looking for the shape, got look at the safrotto?

if you are looking for the shape, got look at the safrotto?

Domke is about more than just the look; the durability of Domke is pretty much one of the best out there.

Domke is about more than just the look; the durability of Domke is pretty much one of the best out there.

I argree with what you say cos I'm using a J1 for about 6 years and mine also ready to change too. If really cheaper by $50 or so sing really can try buying online:D

Hi,

Hope that helps.

You still saved $50, why complain?

Btw, Amazon will not do any special handling for you. Your request is special handling, meaning the cost will be much higher. Are you willing to pay for that? Then at the end of the day, you actual cost will be the same.

I find B&H better than Adorama.They reply to emails and ship much faster.Only problem is that their shipper, UPS, is delivers at very strange times.They state on their tracking app that packages arrive between 9am and 7pm but mine always arrives at 8-9pm.If you are not at home they will leave the package at your neighbour which can lead to trouble...

if want to compare durability, it pales in comparison to army field bag and even china-type medic bag but then they are designed for war so not surprising although the weird part is that they cost substantially less.

if want to compare durability, it pales in comparison to army field bag and even china-type medic bag but then they are designed for war so not surprising although the weird part is that they cost substantially less.

Pales in comparison? That's a rather strong statement. Have you used a Domke for a decade? My friend's Domke F-6 has seen three decades.

bro yah amazon really stupid. pack my bag until so big, vpost charge me 8.4 kg (actual weight of bag only 2.2kg)!

i emailed to amazon and they agree to refund me the balance from the actual weight and volumetric weight. i think you should email amazon and ask them for refund. :)

I'm pretty sure if I emailed them, they would have agreed to a refund, but as deadpoet mentioned, i've already saved some money by buying from them, so no point chasing this issue.

BTW TS, if u do buy from Amazon, they have quite an impressive customer service. Emails get answered pretty quickly, and I even got a free upgrade from the free transportation from their warehouse to the vpost address (takes around 6-10 days?) to the 1 day premium service.

I'm pretty sure if I emailed them, they would have agreed to a refund, but as deadpoet mentioned, i've already saved some money by buying from them, so no point chasing this issue.

BTW TS, if u do buy from Amazon, they have quite an impressive customer service. Emails get answered pretty quickly, and I even got a free upgrade from the free transportation from their warehouse to the vpost address (takes around 6-10 days?) to the 1 day premium service.

Yes I agreed their CS replies is very prompt.

For me i really got to ask for a refund... cos my bag only cost $70USD... but my shipping is in $80! :confused:

Anyway... they just refunded me $64 (not sure if its in USD or SGD but my guess is USD since i paid in USD and they credit it back to my cc).

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.