Buying Digital Cameras from Amazon and Ship by Borderlinx?

wormz777

Nov 3, 2002
N/A
I am very new to this but the prices can be very tempting!

On amazon, Olympus E-PL5 kit cost USD 599. Plus shipping by Borderlinx adds up to only around S$750 which is like S$200 below local retail price.

Wonder if anyone has tried shipping digicams from US and face any issues?

I have bought lenses before, but not camera bodies.

Please bear in mind for purchases above S$400 there'll be a 7% GST charge by the Singapore customs

Yup, borderlinx charges are inclusive of GST, so S$750 is the final price.

how do u get S$750? USD599 = S$730. I think the GST is calculate base on the final price with shipping but not sure in USD or after convert to SGD.

GST gets applied when the cost (shipping inclusive) gets declared at the customs and it's more than 400sgd.

The only way to avoid it is for your carrier/forwarder to not declare the cost at the customs. I don't think they do that.

I am very new to this but the prices can be very tempting!

On amazon, Olympus E-PL5 kit cost USD 599. Plus shipping by Borderlinx adds up to only around S$750 which is like S$200 below local retail price.

Wonder if anyone has tried shipping digicams from US and face any issues?

Got lithium ion battery in the kit, so there are certain guidelines. I have had trouble shipping lithium ion batteries before, so double-check. I recall Borderlinx has some allowances if the batteries are packed in a certain way that is acceptable to US law or something like that.

Otherwise, I understand that Olympus Singapore honours international warranty so you don't actually lose anything really.

i rather use comgateway. recently Ive had 2 bad experiences with borderlinx.

My bad.

I used the cost calculator on Borderlinx:

Shipping, tax & dutySGD 81.37USD 65.21
Ship[SUP]t[/SUP] protection
info.png
optionaloptional
Total shipping costSGD 81.37USD 65.21
Product valueSGD 747.46USD 599.00

I thought SGD 747.46 was the total cost. Actual est. cost is about SGD $830. Still a good deal compared to local prices?

About the Li-ion battery, Borderlinx has the following clarification:

Lithium batteries unless they comply with the following packaging requirements:
  • Packages containing lithium batteries, or lithium batteries contained in, or packed with, equipment that are properly packaged
  • Packing each battery or each battery-powered device when practicable, in fully enclosed inner packaging made of non-conductive material (such as a plastic bag)
  • Separating or packing batteries in a manner to prevent contact with other batteries, devices or conductive materials (e.g., metal) in the packaging
  • Ensuring exposed terminals or connectors are protected with non-conductive caps, non-conductive tape, or by other appropriate means
  • Batteries should be securely cushioned and packed to prevent shifting which could loosen terminal caps or reorient the terminals to produce short circuits

Having said all this, do you think its worth the trouble/risk?

i rather use comgateway. recently Ive had 2 bad experiences with borderlinx.

+1 comgateway got my vote. Have shipped more than 3 times without any hiccups. They offer discounts too!

+1 comgateway got my vote. Have shipped more than 3 times without any hiccups. They offer discounts too!

yes! so far have shipped 5 times much better