Buying D700

ahchua007

Nov 17, 2010
Hi,

I m new here.

Currently looking to buy the Nikon D700, but given the used price around 2.8K, which is just about $300 cheaper than new, do you guys advise to get used or buy new? Another alternative is that should i wait for the D800(rumours) or wait for the D700 new price drop further when D800 really launched?

All helps appreciated

Thanks

firstly, if price difference is only 10% btw used and new, get a brand new one pls. and force the 2nd users to sell at an even lower price (so i can get one myself haha).
Wait for d800? we dont even know when its out. pple have been talking about a d90 replacement for a year before it appeared!
If u can convince yourself that your new d700 is perfect for u without getting envy of the d800, then get the d700. If u r the jealous type, wait for d800 and play with your hp camera for now.
cheers

Hi,

I m new here.

Currently looking to buy the Nikon D700, but given the used price around 2.8K, which is just about $300 cheaper than new, do you guys advise to get used or buy new? Another alternative is that should i wait for the D800(rumours) or wait for the D700 new price drop further when D800 really launched?

All helps appreciated

Thanks

Go for new one, warranty 12mth+3mth (register though Nikon spore)

if only $300 difference then get new.

Hi,

I m new here.

All helps appreciated

Thanks
I would consider a 2nd hand set (esp if out of warranty) for 10% discount off street price to be a BAD DEAL.

Not sure what's up with the pricing... I guess, "willing buyer, willing seller".
Am waiting for more news of new release, and hopefully prices will come tumbling down and I can consider this gem. Otherwise will stick to DX.

Thanks for all replies.

It seen a new set will be more logical especially with the 12+3months warranty.

D700 seen to have good resale market, given a 1.5 years used D700 @2.8k under BnS, only depreciate about $400/yr and further break into $33/month. Even much much cheaper than rent one.

If i get a new D700, hope it will also fetch high resale when i want to upgrade to D3/D4 in future.

:)

Thanks for all replies.

It seen a new set will be more logical especially with the 12+3months warranty.

D700 seen to have good resale market, given a 1.5 years used D700 @2.8k under BnS, only depreciate about $400/yr and further break into $33/month. Even much much cheaper than rent one.

If i get a new D700, hope it will also fetch high resale when i want to upgrade to D3/D4 in future.

:)

I think you also have to take into consideration that the D700 replacement may be out soon. If so, D700 price will drop and your resale value too. :cry:

yeah... camera is a tool, not investment. The cost may be great, but if you take photos that make you smile, I think it's worth it! :)

Ask yourself this question, Why D700? Do I want or need? If want get new. If need get 2nd hand & save the $300 for other lens or GND filters.

I got mine 2nd hand with 8 mths warranty & save $300 to buy Lee filters for that super duper landscape shots. Also I need the D700 mainly for night & indoors.

Wait for the D800? Why wait when you can start the beautiful memories NOW?

Otherwise if you can get by using a DX I'll recommend the new D7k & you can get some good 2nd hand lenses with savings;)

Last edited:
If money is a concern, why not get a cheaper camera? The D40s n D80s are cheap n still producing wonderful pictures..
They are avail at abt 300 n 700 respectively..