Buying CNY stuffs? beware!

yeobt

May 23, 2007
found the following warning from another forum, juz beware!

I was at Suntec City when I saw some Taiwanese jelly/mochi being sold. While I am fully aware that the vendors in Chinatown are known to manipulate the spring balance, I thought the one at the podium is from Carrefore hence the chances of being cheated is discounted.

The jelly was sold at $1.80 per 100g or $18 per kilogramme.

I thought it was reasonable so I went to pick some. As there are 5 members in my family, I selected 5 piece per favour and picked a total of 35 pieces. When I passed it to the man weighing the jelly, I thought my bag of jelly weighed heavy - probably more than a kilo.

Then the guy told me to take 4 or 5 more pieces.

Another guy tend led me to a farther corner telling me I had not taken the most popular 'peach' favour. So I picked another 5 peach jelly.

After placing the 5 jelly into the bag, the man announced that I had bought 5 kg of jelly which totalled $90.

I was shocked. $90 for 40 pieces of jelly means each piece cost me $2.25. I told the man I would not want that much and they raised their voices to embarrass me. I told them I will take at most 2 kilograms.

Furious, he removed some from the bag and I saw flavours I did not take. then he announced that it was 2.5 kg was $45. Noting that the jelly he removed from the bag included flavours not picked by me, he argued that those were free jelly for me.

I declined and he told me to put the bag of jelly back into the display.

After walkiing one more round around the podium, I realised how the vendor operatated.

When a customer has selected some jelly, they will weigh them on the scale and ask the customer to go and choose a few more 'free' jelly. This is when the vendor will pick up a white bag of assorted jelly and add onto the ones picked by the customers.

Later, a Philips saleslady whom we bought a vacuum cleaner from at the same CNY fair told us that the vendor does not belong to Carrefore and that he had even wanted some customers to pay more than $120 for the jelly. I was not the first person to back off. The vendors talk loudly (and fiercely) to intimidate and embarrass the customers into paying for jelly they did not pick.

Having the experience, I thought I would just like to keep all bros/sis in AF aware of such a practice. Please do not be conned or put in an embarrassing position by such unscrupulous vendors.

Thanks....btw the Jellies are about 5X cheaper in Taiwan and quite a number of those flavours are nicer tasting as well. :) We purchased quite a lot at Jiufen, near Taipei.

dude.. it's even cheaper at chinatown... but then again, i've never bought that.

IKEA and I'm guessing, probably even Carrfour has fairly portable Kitchen weighing scales. :bsmilie:

Some CNY vendors are out to FLEECE customers, regardless of VENUE.

Last edited:
This is very common during chinese new year here. I kena once 3 years ago.... We all note down weight of the muai chee we choose and the number of them we pick, expect the cost should be like 3 dollar but end up 19 dollar. We were like "Woah".... then they say they give us some heavy jelly for free.... After that i do not buy from such stores in chinese new year. Take note, the weighting scale do not face at you but to themselves only, so you do not know how much they tapered on the weighting scale too..... Should complain this to CASE...

Nv give in to pressure. Stay calm. Some ppl think that when they talk loudly and crudely ppl will fear them. You don't have to sink to their level. :)

I think it's amazing that Carrefour doesn't screen their vendors though. TS should feed back to Carrefour about this.

vendors talk loudly so what? just talk even more loudly...n scare away their customers! :bsmilie:

vendors talk loudly so what? just talk even more loudly...n scare away their customers! :bsmilie:

just curious. singaporean vendors?

if i'm free with time on my hands, i would like to go there n try to 'buy'.

if he dare to pull a fast one on me, its curtains.

these type of bullies, mux teach them a good lesson! i'll ROLL OVER THEM with my TUMMY!!! ROARRRR!!!!

They are nothing compare to those ah beng at slq.

if i'm free with time on my hands, i would like to go there n try to 'buy'.

if he dare to pull a fast one on me, its curtains.

these type of bullies, mux teach them a good lesson! i'll ROLL OVER THEM with my TUMMY!!! ROARRRR!!!!

can organise a 'group buy'. ;)

YEP ! They should be taught a good lesson that it doesn't pay trying to cheat and intimate customers.

There is still 2 more days to CNY.

Any one has a hidden camera ? I will definitely get Carrefour and Suntec security involve.

How dare they do this ? ! They are visitors here and here is our home ground. %#@%#E!!!

:angry::thumbsd::angry::thumbsd:

Not happy about the costs? Walk away... you have every right to do so. If they dare to make a scene, challenge them.

Always remember, you have a right to reject payment if the goods you are intending to buy is not what you expected or are expecting. Even if you have verbally agreed to a sale, you still can choose not to carry on with the transaction if the goods being promised are not to your satisfactory.

wah stompable moment. who has HD camera, organise a group shoot.