Buying Canon DSLR Lens from outside, how to tell if it's really New?

SpyGuy

Mar 2, 2008
Hey guys, I'm shortly planning to buy a Canon 18-200mm lens from one of those ebay like websites. It is a meet up so I can check my product and the guy has a good reputation too.

However this is my first time buying lens that is not from retailer.

Is there anyway I can check if the lens is really Brand New Mint in Box (as stated on the sale post details) or if it has been used?

This is the only thing holding me back...otherwise savings wise its quite good compared to purchase from shops.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you can't tell the difference who can? You could ask the lens if it's fresh off the boat or airplane. :)
Seriously ask yourself why seller can offer lower price than legit retailers.Think of GST.What about product warranty?
But it's your money and your choice on where you want to spend it.Some will say "penny wise,pound foolish".
Are you getting a "legal" product? If this does not bother you ,go ahead. :)

Welcome to Clubsnap, please read the Terms of Service, linked in your email conformation. Please search for relevant information and existing threads before starting a new one.
We have a sticky thread for buying lenses, second hand. These functional tests also apply to your supposedly new lens. On top of that, common sense always helps: check thoroughly for signs of less careful usage. But: since there is nothing like a shutter count on lenses you can't tell how many times this lens has been used carefully without leaving any marks. Another hint is the smell: lenses fresh from the box have this plastic smell which wears off soon when used.
Secondly: have you thought about warranty? I guess you'll get a grey set if it's cheaper than shop prices as you describe it. Canon Service Center will take your lens but charge for any repair / fixing done.

Check the lens mount. If brand new it should be shiny and smooth. Also look out for scratched or dings on the body.

The smell thing is a good way to check also.

Other than that u really have to take the word of the seller.. buying used stuff always have its risks.

Even if you buy from shops, it may have been tested before.

nitewalk said:
Even if you buy from shops, it may have been tested before.

Testing is diff from actual usage.... where handling may be rough.

But you are right...lenses would likely have been tested unless that particular is just delivered to shop.

SpyGuy said:
Hey guys, I'm shortly planning to buy a Canon 18-200mm lens from one of those ebay like websites. It is a meet up so I can check my product and the guy has a good reputation too.

However this is my first time buying lens that is not from retailer.

Is there anyway I can check if the lens is really Brand New Mint in Box (as stated on the sale post details) or if it has been used?

This is the only thing holding me back...otherwise savings wise its quite good compared to purchase from shops.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Good luck to you

Lenses have already been used before...they need to test if it actually works before put into boxes for shipping. Dont worry about it.

For lens i recommend local warranty because there will be times when the focusing motor fails, focusing mirrors go out of alignment to even somehow got lots of dust in the glass.

The discount had better be quite significant because in your shoes, i would go for a used set from BNS. If me, i would also consider the Tamron 18-270mm VC with 3 year warranty.

Is the camera you buying a local set or export set (sometimes they are grey set)... if its grey set then there are shops that sells grey set as well and the savings are quite abit for some plus they give you "shop" warranty, it beats buying from an online fellow, even if he gives you personal warranty, he might disappear if the lens have some problem...

if i were to buy a grey set i will buy from a shop.... but honestly i spend so much already, a couple of $100+ more for local warranty is what i will go for... i remember we bought our 1100D for $799 with local warranty... grey sets were $730-750.... for less than a $100 more i get warranty, i think its worth it... my 60D without warranty was $150 cheaper, but heck, im paying thousand dollar for the cam, $150 is not much savings for a proper warranty and peace of mind...

but that doesnt mean that grey set are no good...i know of many friends who bought grey lenses and it serves them well... my friend bought a D7k grey set from a shop, its been a year plus and his camera is still great, no problems and he saved almost $200 according to him, but another friend not so lucky, the 18-55mm kit lens in his export set Canon 500D motor spoil and the shop warranty doesnt really cover but lucky its a cheap lens and he just took the chance to upgrade another lens hehe.. so its actually good savings if you get a good set.. but just personal perference that i will save up abit more for a local set... :) thats my opinion, others may differ but to each its own.... all the best in choosing..

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the help and tips especially those who took their time to answer!

I decided to go down today and take a look if it was fishy, I would just leave immediately. But fortunately, I didn't have to do that! I went ahead and got it, turns out it was really new!

The story is, I'm not in Singapore now, but am actually in the UK. Turns out this guy guys his stuff off from around Europe where things are cheaper and then resells them at his store.

He provided me with a receipt, and I checked the Warranty, it's Canon Europe warranty so all's good. Contacts had no marks under normal vision, no dust in the lens when light was shone through. No dust in dust cap or anywhere else. No marks or dings on the lens itself. Original box, manual, warranty card, foam wrapping etc. everything is mint in box.

Tested it out when I got home, everything is in working order, AF is fine =D

Got my Canon 18-200mm lens (which I have been thinking about for a year now) for just SGD $711

I am very happy :) Thanks again guys!

Not sure what is Canon Singapore's policy on honouring Canon Europe warranty.

That said, if there's savings and the difference is substantial, nothing wrong with getting a grey product if that is your choice. :)

Have fun!! :)

Thanks guys for all the help and tips especially those who took their time to answer!

I decided to go down today and take a look if it was fishy, I would just leave immediately. But fortunately, I didn't have to do that! I went ahead and got it, turns out it was really new!

The story is, I'm not in Singapore now, but am actually in the UK. Turns out this guy guys his stuff off from around Europe where things are cheaper and then resells them at his store.

He provided me with a receipt, and I checked the Warranty, it's Canon Europe warranty so all's good. Contacts had no marks under normal vision, no dust in the lens when light was shone through. No dust in dust cap or anywhere else. No marks or dings on the lens itself. Original box, manual, warranty card, foam wrapping etc. everything is mint in box.

Got my Canon 18-200mm lens (which I have been thinking about for a year now) for just SGD $711

Canon's warranty is only local only. So you cannot claim warranty service anywhere other than Europe.

Canon's warranty is only local only. So you cannot claim warranty service anywhere other than Europe.

I know checked this out before I bought.

Good thing I'm living in Europe for the next 3 years with occasional short trips home only :)

You got a receipt? If their policy of warranty is tied to a receipt and you don't have one, well, more power to you.

Last edited:
You got a receipt? If their policy of warranty is tied to a receipt and you don't have one, well, more power to you.

Yes i got a proper store receipt with purchase date, serial no. everything. Turns out the guy was not just some on-line store. I met up with him in the city centre in his store. Sells all sorts of camera stuff (and i think some ipads!)

Oh and the guy was very good, he said if i ever have problems to go back to him he will send it in for me. no need to go and hunt for cannon shop. How good is that! I love it when I get such good service and meet such nice people.

Anyway Hopefull i would never have to send it in for repairs. Had 2 canon lenses before this no problems thank god

Last edited:
Good luck to you, man.

If you do not have a receipt proving that you bought the camera in Europe from an authorised and their warranty policy is tied to you showing receipt from said shop, bringing the lens to a service centre in Europe with that receipt from a shop in Singapore will probably cause the staff to break out in mocking laughter.

And grey warranty servicing is not exactly the best thing in the world. It's taking a huge risk that can screw you or screw you over the moon.

is $711 for the 18-200 cheap? i saw ppl selling for ard $500 only leh.. i mean second hand

baonana said:
is $711 for the 18-200 cheap? i saw ppl selling for ard $500 only leh.. i mean second hand

Hey, read properly. He bought it new, not 2nd hand

Good luck to you, man.

If you do not have a receipt proving that you bought the camera in Europe from an authorised and their warranty policy is tied to you showing receipt from said shop, bringing the lens to a service centre in Europe with that receipt from a shop in Singapore will probably cause the staff to break out in mocking laughter.

And grey warranty servicing is not exactly the best thing in the world. It's taking a huge risk that can screw you or screw you over the moon.

errr.. I think TS bought from a store in UK.. read his first post...

But yes, the store needs to be a authorized dealer of Canon. If not, the store receipt is as good as none.