Buying canon 1100D

Phreak

Apr 14, 2011
Hi all. Planning to buy a canon 1100D. Any recommended shop to buy? Just came back from sim lim and I'm confused with the wide range of prices. From 808 to just 650. Heard a lot of scams occur at sim lim. What can they actually scam you with? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to cs..
You can look at the recommended shops in the price guide sub forum..
Call up or email those shops for quotes..
if u wanna know what kinds of tactics some shops in sim lim uses, check out the consumers corner..
Lastly, don't forget to use the search function of the forum before you get flamed..
Enjoy ur stay :)

Phreak said:
Hi all. Planning to buy a canon 1100D. Any recommended shop to buy? Just came back from sim lim and I'm confused with the wide range of prices. From 808 to just 650. Heard a lot of scams occur at sim lim. What can they actually scam you with? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Don't go to simlim unless it's orient photo. Try the funan area. Go ask for quotes from TK Foto and SLR-Revolution, you offer competitive prices And won't scam you.

Not to forget to get a quote from MScolor (AMK), they offer very competitive price too, and very gd service... John (Funan) also had great service, but not exactly the lowest in price.

Of course there are a few dishonest shop in Funan too (Do a search and you will find some here in CS).

thanks for the reply guys, first shop I went to was alan photo but the sales person was horrible, arrogant s.o.b., went there coz of recommendation. I used to buy my point-and-shoot at Song brothers and so far had good experiences there. Not sure why its not on the list of recommended shops though, lol;p. Will give john 3:16 a call tomorrow and M.S. save me some legwork first.:)

Phreak said:
thanks for the reply guys, first shop I went to was alan photo but the sales person was horrible, arrogant s.o.b., went there coz of recommendation. I used to buy my point-and-shoot at Song brothers and so far had good experiences there. Not sure why its not on the list of recommended shops though, lol;p. Will give john 3:16 a call tomorrow and M.S. save me some legwork first.:)

Song brothers is actually one of the worst shops around. Personally I don't like Alan photo's service as well. The last time I went asking for a strap the person did not even talk to me and just wave me off, ever since I don't want to walk in again. I just walk a few steps more to TK

really? lol they were more friendly than alan photo. anyway definitely won't go back to alan photo. I'll look for this TK if ever i go back to sim lim tomorrow

Phreak said:
really? lol they were more friendly than alan photo. anyway definitely won't go back to alan photo. I'll look for this TK if ever i go back to sim lim tomorrow

Nono TK is in funan, which has another alan photo :bsmilie: I think we are talking about different branches. If you are going to sim lim, check out orient photo on the top floor

ok ok hmmm yeah went to the top floor there was one shop, seemed ok..not sure if it was orient photo though, ok thanks bro! will check these shops out.

buying photographic equipment in SG is more of an art than skills. You will read a ton of very conflicting remarks on stores recommended by people and there isn't really a "best" shop to get your stuffs locally. I have been buying for more than a decade and I don't just go to 1 shop for all the items I'm getting too. There is also no best price for any item in SG probably buying from US is cheaper since the forex is in our favour. But then again someone will suggest you go HK or MA to buy since they are tax free.

My suggestion is grab someone that you trust, then pester them to bring u to some of these shops, hopefully you find the right person to talk to. Take for eg. in Sim Lim Alanphoto, I have a colleague who bought from them for many years and he can get prices way below all other shops quoted here. Nevertheless, his "status" was build up by going to 1 or 2 salesperson there and stick to it for as long as he patronise there.

Good luck!

Haha yes they are very friendly but before you know it, you will find yourself resembling a carrot with it's head chopped off :bsmilie:

TS, look for David Sau in Alan Photo. He's the only person I would tlak to in the whole shop.
Just do ur homework before purchase and you won't be carrot chop.

Yes. He is. Ask for him specifically. He knows what's he's talking, but do your homework first. Show that you know your stuff well and he will keep hid carrot chopper away.

will it be better go get from IT show or from shops recommended in this forum?

will it be better go get from IT show or from shops recommended in this forum?

As discussed in numerous threads that pop up every 3 months whenever there is such a show... Usually not worth it.

As discussed in numerous threads that pop up every 3 months whenever there is such a show... Usually not worth it.

i see, so i guess it's better to get from the shops during normal period as we have more time to test and ask questions? am i right to say that?

i see, so i guess it's better to get from the shops during normal period as we have more time to test and ask questions? am i right to say that?

Yup. and usually same deals or even better.

Yup. and usually same deals or even better.

okies!! thank you very much!! :D

yup during the IT show, i brought my brother to MS Color to get his Alpha A55. the show price was higher, and MS Color's price was by a fair bit lower. except that MS color didn't give the free tripod.

my brother wasn't very happy, but the salesman and i told him the same thing "why take the free tripod? it's small and flimsy. there's no point in that. get a good tripod with the money you've saved.".

but i turned my back for a few minutes and my brother ended up getting a few filters as well as some other irrelevant miscellaneous products -.-

so you have to know what you want before heading to a dealer too or you'll end up buying stuff that you don't need as well.