Buying cameras/lenses online from ecommerce sites w/o warranty

Cleinad

Dec 20, 2017
Singapore
Hi all!
I'm inclined to get fujifilm x-T2 body and a lens from lazada (via 7daydeal.com) which offers a huge discount...BUT...it doesn't come with warranty and for a big ticket item, i'm worried lol.

anyone tried buying from online sites before?

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Do read up about 'grey models' with shop warranty. In short: all warranty claims have to be addressed to the shop and they are responsible to handle it - at their own conditions, time, efforts, maybe costs for you. Do read the fine print very carefully. Local Fuji service centers will not accept your camera / lenses for any warranty claims, they might not even accept it for repair at costs for time and material.
Also ask yourself: why does this seller offers a steep discount? They are no charity. Could be some leftover stocks from around the world, since the successor model is already out. Likely there won't be anything wrong (maybe a funny power plug, easy to replace). But in case you get a lemon you will have to spend a bit more time and efforts to get things fixed, compared to an official SG model with local Fuji warranty.
If price is your concern, check for a local 2nd hand model. With that, you have the support of Fuji service center.

Cleinad

Dec 20, 2017
Singapore
Thanks a lot, Octarine. Appreciate your quick and detailed response. To be frank, I was really tempted to get it online previously. But now, I think better not. Thanks once again!