Buying cameras in japan cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeper

Jun 23, 2004
Melbourne
Hi all will have a friend flying up to tokyo to visit a relative soon, just wondering is anyone knows the rough pricing of cameras there compared to those here? looking at getting a canon 20D

sleeper said:
Hi all will have a friend flying up to tokyo to visit a relative soon, just wondering is anyone knows the rough pricing of cameras there compared to those here? looking at getting a canon 20D
With the strong Singapore Dollar, anything anywhere outside Singapore is cheap..... :devil:

Spore is cheaper than Tokyo (spend a lot of time in Tokyo, all the latest stuff against the wrong prices). Not sure how Melbourne prices compares to the ones in Tokyo.

I believe the bulk of the price usually comes frm their GST and whatever tax they apply. Tourists are eligible for some tax refunds at some shops I think.

even cameras in KL are cheaper now. go figure.

no. 20ds from Japan are slightly more expensive than singapore. And there's no warranty.

20ds from USA are however cheaper...about $2300 with kit lens.

returned from tokyo recently, found the prices there to be quite a bit more expensive for bodies and lenses (often > 125%). however, admittedly i only had time to step into the larger electronic stores. you might be able to get better prices from smaller shops or shops outside tokyo? :dunno:

jsbn said:
I believe the bulk of the price usually comes frm their GST and whatever tax they apply. Tourists are eligible for some tax refunds at some shops I think.
tourist can get the 5% GST rebate from the larger stores (not the airport!!).

u heng can get a good 2nd hand lens/body. U sway get a lemon.

Buy things overseas is like buy Toto. U'll never know what is the result of the next draw. ;)

Beg to differ on that on japan pricing. I have gotten some cheap deals here and comparing some of the prices around, some items are cheaper.

Prices for the 20D; not sure of sg price since me not canon user.
20D body only: 2.3k
20D w/18-55 : 2.4k
20D w/17-85 : 3k
20Da Body : 3.4k

yeah with you can get a 5% rebate at the major stores. not sure about the smaller ones tho.

camera prices in japan not really cheap. the only time when it's cheaper is when u buy a second item from the shop.

check out bic camera outlets http://www.biccamera.com . their branches are all over japan. (there is another chain store shop called yodobashi http://www.yodobashi.com/)

they have a points system where your first purchased item gives a certain percentage of yen-value which can be used to offset the price of your second item.

suppose the item u buy costs 100,000yen (S$1600). based on their store policy of 20% you earn 20,000 points (S$320). if u buy a second item from the shop at 50,000yen (S$800), you only need to top up 30,000yen (S$480).

hence, there is some saving if u purchase multiple items in their shop.

refer to http://www.photo.net/photo/japan-buying for more details.

sleeper said:

cheap is relative?

$100 saving on a $2000 is not really cheap, but $200+ may be. I returned from Tokyo more than 2 weeks back, and my comment is "generally more expensive" for new stuff. But...

Very good deals can be had for 2nd hand ones. There is a Nikon-only shop dealing 2nd hand stuff in Ginza, I bought a super condition Eos 10D for $1200 with creditcard at another shop further down. But, hunting for those deals takes up time, so may not be worth the effort. (especially if we don't know where to look)

YMMV

Caspere

Too bad I aint at Tokyo, could have helped him out. But anyone coming to Osaka, I got places to take you to. and whoever shops at a chain store in japan for camera equipment is either in a rush, rich or an idiot. :bsmilie:

Do some research before going to tokyo.

2H shops are not really that cheap either. Its all dependent on what you want to get and condition.

Eg. Bought a 85/1.8 non D for 120SGD. But then got cracked mount and unrepairable by Nikon SG and JP. If you can live with the damage, its as good as any in the stores.

Took ma almost two hours to find the used camera stores in Osaka (those that were inside one building), in the end I just asked a postman that happened to be there........anything german is expensive!!!! True, that not all used is cheaper........found Tokyo Kimura and Fujiya cheaper and much more choice.....

HS

It depends on what item, the Tokina 12-24 was going at SG$930+ two mths ago in major store but CP was going at $1.1~1.2k....so it is slightly cheaper but does it worth the hassle? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.