Buying cameras at harvey norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwayschampion

Feb 20, 2004
Hi anyone buy their camera from harvey norman ?

There seems to be 0% installment up to 36 months for CC members.

On top of that, consumer can top up a sum and extend the warranty up to 5 years. ;p

Wat's CC? I think they add 6% more to the price of the cam compare to in cash for installments.. So ex.. The more ex ur DSLR the more ex u need to pay for ur extended warranty.. :sweat:

CC = Credit Card.

If its really as mentioned 'interest free' and there's no addition of any price thru credit card instalments. I believe its quite a good deal.

But ultimately they are an electronic supermarket. Don't expect the salespeople there to know their stuff inside out. Do your own homework. And when hearing their salestalk (somehow, salespeople LOVE to tout megapixel counts like they do with Processor brand and raw speed when selling computers), juz shut ur ears before u die of a heart attack hearing things that'll make any decent ameuter photographer puke blood, pop their blood arteries, suffer a hamorrage and die.

no, it is really interest free from what i have checked. no addition to original price.

jsbn, it depends, i have encountered nice salespersons at harvey norman who are clear abt what they sell and not that pushy.

How about the extended warranty ?

alwayschampion said:
Hi anyone buy their camera from harvey noramn?
I don't buy my cameras at HNH but I do get my expensive electronics from NH such as my plasma TV, fridge etc. For these items, I do get their 5 years extended warranty (excluding the OEM's warranty). Basically, the service/repairs charge for these electronics are very expensive. So it makes sense to get extended warranty.

For camera, I don't think it's necessary to get extended warranty becos the technology is always evolving. 2 years down the road, I won't want to hold on to a out-dated camera. Thus there's no need to buy extended warranty for it. But that's just me, I beleive some will disagree with me.

Normally how long would you use your camera ?

Just a heads up, everything is negotiable at Harvey Norman!!! esp if you're paying cash... always insist on a discount or your wishlist of freebies!

Just saw yesterday, HNM have a 39 months interest free installment with two months installment waived if you pay by DBS Credit Card... was slightly tempted. Only pullback is that you can't do advancement to shorten your payback duration... ;p ( tat's what the sales guy told me... )

Yes, it's interest free, I got the 24 mths installment for my D60 last time, using my CC. They'll charge you $100 penalty if you decided to clear your payments halfway. So die die, must pay 24 mths.

The only thing I can tell you is, unless it's a life and death thing, don't go for installment plans. I've a painful 20 mths at that time, every month looking at the bill, feeling silly. And you can't buy any other things, even if there are very good offers, unless you want to snowball your payment. Blah!

I only enjoy during the first 4 mth, for having a new toy. :cry:

RossChang said:
That is true, with provision that you do not get tempted with new models flooding the market sooner or later... ;p
Temptation? Of cos there will be temptation. :D

The trick is to shoot more, go overseas more and make ur pocket very thin. Liddat even want to get tempted oso cannot. :bsmilie:

togu said:
Yes, it's interest free, I got the 24 mths installment for my D60 last time, using my CC. They'll charge you $100 penalty if you decided to clear your payments halfway. So die die, must pay 24 mths.

The only thing I can tell you is, unless it's a life and death thing, don't go for installment plans. I've a painful 20 mths at that time, every month looking at the bill, feeling silly. And you can't buy any other things, even if there are very good offers, unless you want to snowball your payment. Blah!

I only enjoy during the first 4 mth, for having a new toy. :cry:

Wise words :thumbsup:

That's another catch :- you cannot cancel that card even if it start charging you high annual subscription fee also....

Snowcrash said:
Wise words :thumbsup:

That's another catch :- you cannot cancel that card even if it start charging you high annual subscription fee also....

Yes, and that's the time you realise the i-want-to-cancel-card-if-got-to-pay-subscription trick to get free renewal won't work anymore. :sweat:

It's not interest free..
I've asked the salesman and told I need to add 6% to the cash price.
2% for using Credit Card
4% for pay via installments
So not interest free after all.. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.