buying camara items from ebay

Sn0wMaN

Dec 19, 2008
Hi just wondering how much of us are buying your camara item from ebay. I am always buy thngs from ebay buy never buy camara item before. Recently looking at buying UV filter and maybe even lens from ebay. When i saw the seller from ebay mainly are from hongkong and things like UV filter (hoya brand) how come got different packaging one...

The price that i saw are cheaper then what i get in some shops, if it is trustworthy i can save time and effort to go down to photoshop to buy. I hope u guys can give me some advice.

do note that including shipping might not make it so attractive. sometimes postage is also slow, and chances are when you get it from hong kong you are still taking a risk of getting an inferior product or damaged product which the shop may or may not entertain. even in the case where they entertain, they have the right to charge you the return shipping fee.

Just remember to see their feedbacks given by the buyers. It's a gamble sometimes.

i normally buy very cheap stufffs from ebay, accessories like lens cap, battery holders.
Tried getting a nikon manual lens before, and the lens arrived not as described, with a stucked aperture ring. The seller was from the US btw.
Notified the seller, and was given a full refund, but i'll have to ship the item back to him at my own cost.

it's always a gamble when getting from ebay, especially items like lens, where some might be out to cheat.
or sometimes, it's simply a case of the seller did not even know the scratch / cleaning marks or any defects are exist on the item, which you could check if you buy locally where you can view it and do COD.
That aside, there are sometimes very tempting deals going around at ebay ;p

for me, the only point to buy on ebay is to get the items that cheaper than local market..i ordered nikkor 50mm/f.18 from a hongkong seller for only S$162 + free uv filter & blower. It was free shipping and i received the item in less than 2 weeks...
Recently i won an auction on ebay, S$ 20 only for a new tele lens...

overall, i'm quite happy shopping on ebay..

but better remember, like bro SilentL mentioned it, see their feedbacks given by the buyers...

Last edited:
Hi just wondering how much of us are buying your camara item from ebay. I am always buy thngs from ebay buy never buy camara item before. Recently looking at buying UV filter and maybe even lens from ebay. When i saw the seller from ebay mainly are from hongkong and things like UV filter (hoya brand) how come got different packaging one...

The price that i saw are cheaper then what i get in some shops, if it is trustworthy i can save time and effort to go down to photoshop to buy. I hope u guys can give me some advice.

For accessories, just head down to OP, TK or the likes, and the many MO threads. eBay is good for things you cannot get locally.

check their ratings. as long as its good you should not have any problems. I once had a problem with a seller...trust me, ebay acted on him very fast

well at this moment i am planning to get UV filter. Not realyl abt cheap is also about conveient. I start work from 11-9 for weekday. So by the time i finish work most shop are close. Weekend sometime got to work so i hardly get time to go down to buy simple item. \

Saw a few ebayer selling at a range of 30-35 with free shipping for hoya UV filter. Only abit cheaper then outside market but of cause save my time to go down to purchase.

Well i do understand there is pro and con when u purchase for ebay, i do buy alot of things from ebay too (non camara stuffs).

I've bought lenses, tripods, cameras, flash from e-bay before, and had a good experience so far. Main thing as other posters say is to check out the rating of each buyer before looking at the price/condition of the auction item.

if you just gettin a filter though, just go for the many MOs or try the mass sales subforum; you can get the filter mailed to you by some of the mass sellers selling filters.

If you are getting filters, you probably should go to CS Mass sale.:)

got my fliter through Mass Order :)

Just to share my bad experience, I once bought a lense from ebay. The seller at first did not send out the product. After I emailed him, he gave some excuse about having some heart illness and being too sick to ship the product. When he finally shipped out the lense, I did some checks and realised that he shipped it back to his own residence instead of mine. He then continued to give weak excuses about why he couldn't ship out the lense. I filed a paypal complaint, and got all my money back.

Lesson learnt. Only buy from reputable sellers.

To addon, some axxholes want to earn from shipping. So make sure you check the local shipping prices. Most info are available on the shipper's website.

To addon, some axxholes want to earn from shipping. So make sure you check the local shipping prices. Most info are available on the shipper's website.

very true...item for 1usd, shipping for 50usd.:bsmilie: rather rampant!

I'm very cautious towards buying big-ticket items without meeting up. So I won't buy cameras online if I cannot meet up with the seller to check the item. I'm quite ok with smaller items such as filters. But I still prefer to buy from a reputable online store than individual ebay users.

Just bought a used Kodak SLR/c from eBay. Whole camera reek of cigarette smell. I think the previous owner lives in an ashtray. So another point to note, make sure that the item is from a smoke free environment. LL, need to send for dry cleaning....