Buying alternatives: Spyder 3 express

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
I just checked out at CP, the only authorized dealer, express version @ 177..
any idea where else can get?

checked ytd at BnH, included with shipping, after conversion is SGD162 while Adorama is SGD169.

dun really trust ebay due to bad experience..

is there no other local dealer selling this?

checked ytd at BnH, included with shipping, after conversion is SGD162 while Adorama is SGD169.

i think Orient PHoto at Sim LIm Square 6th level sells them too, but i think the price is about the same..

thanks for sharing.. shall call them to ask

can also someone or anyone advise..
Gretagmacbeth Calibrator aka Pantone Huey.. against Spyder 3 expresss. comparison?

i cant really find constructive review on Pantone Huey..

i will do some community service and ask OP / TK if they selling.. else gotta c whats the cheapest way to get them.. haha

update from OP, spyder 3 express @ 175 if anyone is interested.. i found my share
:)

An alternative I'm thinking of -- run a Pixar DVD and play their THX optimizer, and calibrate using that. There is a part which requires a blue filter. Thinking of buying a cheap blue filter for that. Any thoughts anyone?

One reason why I'm thinking of this is because views on Spyder vary depending on the interest group you hear from, so I really don't know about spending that money on it.

In CS, I seem to read that almost all people doing monitor calibration use Spyder (am I right?). But if you go over to HT or TV forums, Spyder is not thought of very highly and some even question whether their colorimeter is properly calibrated. I'm wondering, why is there such a difference of opinions when both sets of people are looking for the same thing -- true colours on the screen?

Does anyone use other calibration methods and tools apart from Spyder?

I have been using the Huey for a few years. Works very well for
me. It can adjust for light levels in your room if it is continuously plugged into your USB which I like. Think it's only about $80
when I bought it. Color is accurate enough for me
only the stand is a little flimsy, which I fixed with some super glue.
Best $80 I've ever spent

Try contacting 'henessy' in the mass order threads. I bought mine from him quite some time ago, no idea if he' still doing it.

15 max difference, with the possibility that you might have to return a damaged product and pay for the shipping back to america......

nah, i'd buy with cp.

you can try henessy, yes.

10s for the feedback :)

One good alternative to the Spyder series is the Eye-One Display, by x-rite (who also owns Gretagmacbeth and Pantone). I use it for my laptop and external LCD monitor and works very well. Take a look at the feedback in Amazon, and you'll see a lot of negative ones for any of the Spyder, but rarely for the Eye-One. Last time I checked, the Spyder also does not measure luminance, but Eye-One (and even the Huey, I think) measures it.

try to understand this..

you spend so much on a camera, getting good lenses, best computer hardware and software blar blar blar, than you try to save little money on calibrating the monitor, it doesn't add up.
without proper calibrating, all you efforts on post processing images may go down the drain.

One good alternative to the Spyder series is the Eye-One Display, by x-rite (who also owns Gretagmacbeth and Pantone). I use it for my laptop and external LCD monitor and works very well. Take a look at the feedback in Amazon, and you'll see a lot of negative ones for any of the Spyder, but rarely for the Eye-One. Last time I checked, the Spyder also does not measure luminance, but Eye-One (and even the Huey, I think) measures it.

Oh, and the Eye-One Display is more expensive than the Spyder. :)

Thanks Stringer. Can the Eye One Display LT be bought locally? If so, where (and price, if you can reveal)?

For those who are interested, fwiw, found a review comparing the Eye One to the Spyder hardware, and commenting that the Spyder hardware is not consistent from unit to unit:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118480#118480

hmm.. keep tt as noted :)