buying a second hand camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiyabopian

Dec 10, 2007
Hey everyone,

im new in this,im a student so kind of budget, cant affort a brand new set n thought want to start off slowly..

so i need to ask questions on buying second hand camera.

i)what are the things that i need to look out for?
ii)what are the questions that i need to ask the seller?

hope u guys can help me out on this....

thanks lots...:D

btw im buying a dslr 30D

Questions I can think of:

How old?
How many actuations?
Any problems?
Any warranty?

How much?

- look at the body and marking, see got any signs of water damage
- look at the bottom and screws, see got any dents due to drop or fall
- look through the viewfinder, see any scratch or excess dust inside
- look at both LCD, see got any excessive scratches
- look at the lens mounting ring, see got any excessive wear and tear
- mount and dismount lens, see the lens mountung ring smooth or sticky
- put in battery and test fire, hear the shutter sound smooth or not
- ask to see the warranty card, receipt etc, just in case it is not a stolen goods

what i can suggest is the see the seller.. to see his past post, how he is in the foru, what he posted and things like that.. in other words, study his reputation before evening forking out the money.. once at dealing then can follow what bros here had mentioned..:) Good luck on your purchase..

above all, if the product is out of warranty, ask for personal warranty of reasonable period, maybe, 7 to 14 days. this period will accord you time to test out the camera under various circumstances.

Its out of warranty....is there a way for me to check shutter count?
do u guys think 1300BUx for a canon 30D that comes wit a batt grip a kit lens and ori batt a good buy?

BTW THANKS alot to all of u..
realy appreciate ur help....

Besides testing the physical and functional aspects of the camera, don't forget to make sure that you like the Canon system and the handling of the camera itself =p Getting a camera cheaply then not wanting to use it is just a plain waste of money.

As for sellers, do check to see if the seller signed up recently or like 2 years back. If the seller is quite active on the forum, people may know the seller and you could ask around about the reputation.

Besides testing the physical and functional aspects of the camera, don't forget to make sure that you like the Canon system and the handling of the camera itself =p Getting a camera cheaply then not wanting to use it is just a plain waste of money.

As for sellers, do check to see if the seller signed up recently or like 2 years back. If the seller is quite active on the forum, people may know the seller and you could ask around about the reputation.

Agree with this bro.. dont buy the camera just because it seems cheap.. most important thing is to enjoy the camera in the future.. it will make your $$ more worth it no matter how cheap or how x the camera is..

PS: After getting the camera, don't go compare the price.. prevent the heartaching and enjoy the camera will be better..

Status
Not open for further replies.