Buying a Nikon DSLR in China

pooh83

Sep 2, 2011
Bros,

My uncle is based in Shanghai and Hu Xi China.

Was just wondering if it will be cheaper when i get him to get me a D7000 from there when he comes back this October ?

Pleasse advise

Given the stronger Singapore dollar and the larger market in China, you could get a cheaper deal compared to the local price. However, have you ever considered about the overseas warranty issues? Please do think about twice about that.

bbxxin said:
Given the stronger Singapore dollar and the larger market in China, you could get a cheaper deal compared to the local price. However, have you ever considered about the overseas warranty issues? Please do think about twice about that.

Bro but what would the implications be when purchased in china compared to JB?

Could I still bring it to sg shops for repair?

TS, why not have a piece of mind by purchasing local sets or even 2nd hand local set.

IMO, I would be afraid to purchase branded stuffs from china after knowing the news of a fake Apple shop 100% alike to the real one.

Sorry if I offend any fellow china users here, but yea thats my opinion.

TS, why not have a piece of mind by purchasing local sets or even 2nd hand local set.

IMO, I would be afraid to purchase branded stuffs from china after knowing the news of a fake Apple shop 100% alike to the real one.

Sorry if I offend any fellow china users here, but yea thats my opinion.

No, there are no fake DSLRs or fake Nikon Lenses. And no offence taken. ;)

Bro but what would the implications be when purchased in china compared to JB?

Could I still bring it to sg shops for repair?

Implications is that there will be no warranty in SG for the camera bought in China. You can still get it repaired in HK or China if under warranty.

You can still bring to the local Nikon Service Center here to get it repaired. But you will have to pay for parts and labor.

So if your uncle is buying for you, and you never see how the camera can go back to China or HK for any warranty repair, ask your uncle to buy "水货" (water goods) with discount, which is quite a bit cheaper. You will not be using the local china warranty anyway.

Lenses and flashes enjoy international warranty. So if buying lenses or flashes in China, and you want to enjoy the international warranty, you need to ask your uncle to get the official tax reciept from the seller ( called FaPiao 发票). This tax receipt will usually tag another 4.5% to your price. If you do not have this receipt you will not be able to claim any warranty service in Nikon Service Center anywhere in the world (except China).

BTW, Nikon cameras and lenses are cheaper in HK than in China. Just so you know. And China prices are very close to Malaysian prices, so another option is just buy in JB. If you see any problems, you can still go over the causeway and get it repaired (if bought from the well known JB stores, the JB stores will help you send to NSC in KL for you). Or you can go to KL for a short trip and send your camera into NSC there.

Last edited:
Cool ! Thanks all bro for giving suggestions and info! It had been a great help.

make sure the warranty is international is very impt :)

make sure the warranty is international is very impt :)

I guess you do not read well. Since 2 posts up I already said there there are absolutely NO INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY available for Nikon camera body, in any part of the world.