Buying a new P&S No-Frills Camera

Quish

Nov 25, 2012
Singapore
Hi Guys,

Huge noob here and decided to create an account here cause i really need some help.

I'm looking to buy a compact camera to bring overseas during my overseas education. I'm looking to buy one maybe somewhere near the end of the year. Don't have a big budget maybe around $250 SGD and i'm open to buying a 2nd hand camera.

I'm a newbie so i'm looking for something that can be used easily, good at taking scenery, night and group (friends) shots. Auto shots most likely but i'm open to trying out Manual.

So far i've looked up the Panasonic LX5 and LX3, Olympus XZ1 and Canon S95. Any others to recommend?

Been checking up sites like techradar for review but there are just SO MANY models around!

Thanks all!

you're gonna get a whole load of suggestions soon.

I'll suggest RX100

The camera models you listed are the higher end ones offered by the various major camera brands, so $250 is a little low probably can only get 2nd hand set
Those which you listed are all quite good so probably boils down to which one you prefer
Can also consider the higher end compacts from Sony as suggested by eleveninth, plus Nikon (eg P series), Samsung (EX1F/2F), Fujifilm (XF1... hmm maybe not yet launched here heh...)

With the myraid of choices, maybe you can consider some points to narrow your choices:
- smallest and pocketable - Canon S90/95/100/110, or Nikon P300/310
- more controls - Panasonic LX3/5, Olympus XZ-1/2, Canon G12/15
- big sensor for better low light performanc - Sony RX100, Canon G1X

:confused: more confused already?? hehe... ;p

Happy shopping!

You can refer to any of the previous 500 similar threads.

Basically, you need to go to the shops and TRY THEM YOURSELF. Then you'll know which one suits you better.

Big thanks to all replies!!

Rash: I did briefly try few cameras but the thing is they all generally feel the same in my hands. you face it at an object and snap away. Plus in a shop I can't really try out if the camera is good for night shots. maybe I'll try again.

thoon: wow amazing info thanks! believe the low light performance is ranked highly in my opinion so I'll look up RX100 and G1X. the lx3/5/7 looks great though, have a soft spot for the design.

Rash: I did briefly try few cameras but the thing is they all generally feel the same in my hands. you face it at an object and snap away. Plus in a shop I can't really try out if the camera is good for night shots. maybe I'll try again.

thoon: wow amazing info thanks! believe the low light performance is ranked highly in my opinion so I'll look up RX100 and G1X. the lx3/5/7 looks great though, have a soft spot for the design.

Er... with a budget of S$250... u can forget about G1X and RX100, both of them are retail at S$8xx to S$9xx. LX3 and LX5 is no longer in production and you can only get second hand... I think you should be able to get the LX3 for around that price, but for LX5, I heard that recently it was selling at 3xx in Harvey Norman and if the sales is still on, you can check on that. As for LX7, the pricing is not going to be very cheap... retailing at around 6xx (I think).

I would highly recommend that you up your budget to at least 7xx and get a camera like the newly released Olympus XZ-2 or the Canon G15 or S110, or Nikon and Sony equivalent.

However, you really need to test out the camera like... focusing speed, whether the user interface make any sense to you, etc etc... Only then will you really get a camera that you will use lots of time.

Er... with a budget of S$250... u can forget about G1X and RX100, both of them are retail at S$8xx to S$9xx. LX3 and LX5 is no longer in production and you can only get second hand... I think you should be able to get the LX3 for around that price, but for LX5, I heard that recently it was selling at 3xx in Harvey Norman and if the sales is still on, you can check on that. As for LX7, the pricing is not going to be very cheap... retailing at around 6xx (I think).

I would highly recommend that you up your budget to at least 7xx and get a camera like the newly released Olympus XZ-2 or the Canon G15 or S110, or Nikon and Sony equivalent.

However, you really need to test out the camera like... focusing speed, whether the user interface make any sense to you, etc etc... Only then will you really get a camera that you will use lots of time.

hmm true true G1X and RX100 are quite newly launched with high-end compact price to match, so seriously doubt you can even get a 2nd hand set within your budget heh...

Eh I'll qualify and say that all the listed models have good low light performance (one of the reasons of their premium price), but among them RX100 and G1X are better because they have bigger sensors.

Actually in the shops/indoor the light level is already not very high so you can roughly gauge 'not-so-good'-light performance, as compared to outdoors under the sun. Unless you want to take shots eg in dark room lighted by only candles then even some DSLRs struggle hehe... You'll need other strategies like using flash and/or tripod

Anyway all the models you listed have good auto functions plus manual controls if you wish to use it, so my suggestion is to get one that you like and know won't hesitate to bring it out to take more shots. Remember the best camera is the one that is with you ;)

Hope this helps

i don't know how much a used Oly XZ1 will cost, but if you can get one for $250 then you can go for it as it will fit your criterial

For the small amount of budget, you will have to compromise in other areas like low light performances, auto focus (speed/accuracy/hit rate). TBH, most digital cameras now are relatively good, provided that there is good lighting. Even for those priced at $250~$300.

I have no recommendations of any cameras/brands that is in your budget (but at least get one with manual settings), but just wanted to point out to you that even thou the equipment plays a role in taking that shot, but applying the correct techniques for the right scene is also equally important.

- For night shots (scenery), I would think you would need to read up on some of the techniques of taking night shots. Which often revolves around using a good support for taking long exposure shots.
- For night group photos with nice scenery and the group infront, usually, what I will do (with popup flash), is bring the ISO to the highest you can 'tahan', meter for the background, use the flash (+- flash ev) for the foreground subjects (your friends). It doesn't necessary work for all scenes, but it's a starting point you can start to explore the limitations of the equipment.

appreciate all the information and views!

I manage to borrow my friend lx5 and tried it out. find it quite comfortable and user friendly to me. The canon s95 and s100 are great options too.

Just a quick question. Since the lx3 and lx5 are no longer in production should I purchase one 2nd hand immediately now or wait a bit? cause I'm going overseas perhaps next year end jan. Should I just go ahead and get it now or delay for a possible drop in pricing?

Quish said:
appreciate all the information and views!

I manage to borrow my friend lx5 and tried it out. find it quite comfortable and user friendly to me. The canon s95 and s100 are great options too.

Just a quick question. Since the lx3 and lx5 are no longer in production should I purchase one 2nd hand immediately now or wait a bit? cause I'm going overseas perhaps next year end jan. Should I just go ahead and get it now or delay for a possible drop in pricing?

Pricing won't drop so much in 1 month on old units. Buy what you like, then spend the month getting used to the controls, reading the manual, etc

Alright. thanks again for info. might get it within the week unless my scouting uncovers something better.

Just wondering if there anything in particular to look out for when purchasing a 2nd hand camera?

Alright. thanks again for info. might get it within the week unless my scouting uncovers something better.

Just wondering if there anything in particular to look out for when purchasing a 2nd hand camera?

Test, Test and Test.... If anything not sure, ask.

If can, bring a friend that knows about camera to test with u. If really not sure or not confident, then get first hand ones (lesser chance to go wrong and with full warranty).

Well i got this whole week ahead to do some test. Shall do so and read up reviews! Guess now it boils down to a battle of Canon S100 vs LX5 since both are within the budget and i feel comfortable on both.

If you really just want a no frills pns, smartphones nowadays are good enough. For that purpose, I would only get a compact if I need to do things a cameraphone can't e.g. optical zoom.

If u already own a smartphone with decent camera, good enough. You are not going to get significantly better results with a $250 pns. I'll rather save the money, enjoy my trip, and get a dslr/milc next time :)

Get a panasonic TZ30 and you have everything in a nice small bundle. >250
Should be able to get the older model TZ10 2nd hand below 250

Check the reviews

some1 already mentioned and i second this option...
go harvey norman and get a new lx5 for ard 399.

it's new, u should hv less worries abt it breakin down while u r overseas