Buying a new DSLR

hdc69

Jul 31, 2010
Hi,
I am new to digital SLR photography.
I have 2 old Minolta SLR film cameras, they are the dynax500si and the dynax3,
and some accessories like the 5400xi flash, a 70mm to 210mm zoom len
and a remote cord etc.
I intend to invest in a digital SLR, but hope to use the existing accessories bought
for the film cameras.
Is it possible to buy a digital SLR that is compartible with the accessories which
I have bought?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

Hi,
I am new to digital SLR photography.
I have 2 old Minolta SLR film cameras, they are the dynax500si and the dynax3,
and some accessories like the 5400xi flash, a 70mm to 210mm zoom len
and a remote cord etc.
I intend to invest in a digital SLR, but hope to use the existing accessories bought
for the film cameras.
Is it possible to buy a digital SLR that is compartible with the accessories which
I have bought?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

Yes. Buy a Sony Alpha DSLR. They bought over the camera division of Konica Minolta. And now produces the Sony Alpha line of DSLRs, which are compatible with old Minolta lenses.

Hi Daredevil123,
Are the flash compartible too?
I have more faith in a Cannon or a Nikon actually, but it may save me some $ if I buy
a Sony Alpha.:)
In your opinion, which brand is a better buy for a novice like me?
Thanks.

Hi Daredevil123,
I have more faith in a Cannon or a Nikon actually, but it may save me some $ if I buy
Thanks.

Understand that you are putting him in a spot to answer your question without starting a brand war. :bsmilie:

Everyone of the major brands makes great cameras, not just canon, nikon or sony.
...panasonic, olympus, pentax, samsung all have their gems.

You might save some $$$ on lense if you go with a sony alpha system, in which case I would advise waiting till sept as sony has 4 new models (DSLR) to be released.

If you need it urgently, then I guess it really doesn't matters which brand as you could easily sell off all your old minolta stuff at BnS.

ps: your flash would not be compatible, I doubt it would even fit the Alpha hotshoe.

U only have a 70-210 zoom? If that is the case u need not stick to Minolta/Sony, dun think will save u much .......

Flash should be able to use, just need to set to manual

Thank you all for helping.:)
I will take note on the advice given.
Will do my maths and see the pros and cons before deciding.
Thanks everyone, very good infor indeed :thumbsup:

Hi Daredevil123,
Thanks.

I am not sure about the flash. But old flashes are often wonderful if used off camera and paired with radio triggers.

Actually all the major brands make good DSLRs, especially the entry level ones for novices. It is up to you really, which ones you prefer more.

ps: your flash would not be compatible, I doubt it would even fit the Alpha hotshoe.

The Dynax SLR is the European name for the Minolta Maxxum. In Japan, the Dynax/Maxxum SLR is known as the Alpha.

Dynax = Maxxum = Alpha

All lenses that the Dynax uses can work in any Sony Alpha (Sony chose the Japanese name instead of Dynax or Maxxum). Flash hotshoe is exactly the same, and the flash will work, just that it cant TTL, thus the flash will hv to be set manually (which isnt a problem), if not it will fire at full power if u set it to auto.

Im not sure if the 5400xi has wireless, if it has, it will work with Sony Alpha's wireless flash commander as well. ALL Sony Alpha has build in wireless flash commander, even the lowest entry level A100/A230.

My personnal experience with an old Sigma flash. The Sigma flash which I had, has the same problem as the 5400 xi, it cant TTL with my Sony Alpha and fires at full power in auto, thus I had to set to manual power. However when I use it as a wireless flash (in auto mode), the exposure is pretty accurate. So if the 5400xi has wireless flash support, it may (or may not, I cant guarantee this) be a similar case with my Sigma flash (use wireless to get an accurate auto exposure).

Having a working flash plus lenses (is your lens the 70-210mm f4 beercan?) can be a good savings for you. The additional money u saved can be used to buy a higher end Sony Alpha body, instead of buying a low end body from other systems. You might wanna save up for the new Sony Alphas coming out in Sep, or just buy an A550 now (if u don need video, the A550 is excellent!)

Last edited:
I have more faith in a Cannon or a Nikon actually, but it may save me some $ if I buy a Sony Alpha.:)
Thanks.
You are well-conditioned by the Canon/Nikon marketing :bsmilie:
All brands have good entry level cameras. All can produce good images. Usually the deficiency is behind the viewfinder ;)

The Dynax SLR is the European name for the Minolta Maxxum. In Japan, the Dynax/Maxxum SLR is known as the Alpha.

Dynax = Maxxum = Alpha

All lenses that the Dynax uses can work in any Sony Alpha (Sony chose the Japanese name instead of Dynax or Maxxum).

That's a sweeping statement, if you're right, I wonder why both my Sigma 400mm F5.6 and 75-200 F2.8 (which works perfectly mated to my Minolta 9000) is not even recognised on my a500 ? ...I have found that I need to re-chip both lense, a service no longer provided by Sigma.

I won't even bother with my old flash system knowing I'll have to deal with flash sync problems.

TS's situation echos mine coming into the DSLR world from 35mm film, I'm merely trying to share my experience moving out of Minolta into a Sony system.

Last edited:
That's a sweeping statement, if you're right, I wonder why both my Sigma 400mm F5.6 and 75-200 F2.8 (which works perfectly mated to my Minolta 9000) is not even recognised on my a500 ? ...I have found that I need to re-chip both lense, a service no longer provided by Sigma.

But the lens fit, right? You could AF, right? The older sigma lenses need re-chipping, even on other brands. Sigma goofed up early in their lens-making days when they used odd lens IDs on their lenses.

But the lens fit, right? You could AF, right? The older sigma lenses need re-chipping, even on other brands. Sigma goofed up early in their lens-making days when they used odd lens IDs on their lenses.

Yes the lens will mount, but the a500 reports "No lens fitted".

My point is that though the items may fit together, it does not necessary means that they will work together.

Yes the lens will mount, but the a500 reports "No lens fitted".

My point is that though the items may fit together, it does not necessary means that they will work together.

Well, that's a Sigma issue really... But the old Minoltas work like a charm.

Is your lens the 70-210mm f4? If it is, it's quite a gem. Worth keeping....

I believe the 5400xi would work on alpha but manual only. No TTL.

Dear TS,
Just get the whatever camera that you're comftable with. Suggest you go down to the shops and hold them in your hand to see which is more comfortable. You may want to bring your gear down to check for compatibility also.

Why I took up the Sony system is basically because I started with Dynax. When I wanted to upgrade, I went down to the shop, held the A700 in my hand and it felt good. It was an easy decision.

Well, that's a Sigma issue really... But the old Minoltas work like a charm.

Yes, I competely agree. Minolta lense are perfect.

Luckily for me, there is still a chance to salvage these lense via 3rd party chips from China. (I've just have to execute a couple backflips, jump thru a few loops and spent several nites of google'ling the subject):bsmilie:

I hope I didn't offended anyone with my earlier posts, if I did, I apologise ...I'm here to learn and share this wonderful thing called Photography and certainly have no intention to flame anybody.

Cheers
Tony