Buying a new cam

jeffzac

Jan 10, 2011
hey guys,

im in the midst of deciding to buy my first cam and im deciding between a Canon G12, Nikon P100 and a Pentax KX. Which would you guys recommend??

Thanks! :)

Hardly seems fair to compare compact cameras against a dslr (kx). What would you like to use the camera for? Travel? Random snapshots with friends etc?

hey guys,

im in the midst of deciding to buy my first cam and im deciding between a Canon G12, Nikon P100 and a Pentax KX. Which would you guys recommend??

If you are ready to put money into a DSLR and all the equipment that you need to get along with it. Then the K-x would be a good choice.

jeffzac said:
hey guys,

If it were entirely my choice, I'd get the Pentax K-x without a moment's hesitation. But you really shouldn't be letting others make such important decisions for you, don't you think? ;)

Just to add on. It seems to me budget is your main concern?
If you don't mind the size of a DSLR and you are sure you will use it then get the Pentax K-X.

You really have to consider the usage. There are times when I go out meet friends and just don't feel like carry the DSLR. A DSLR has lots of things to learn and take note of. IF you don't think you are that into photography I would say a PnS will do more good.

A Kx will be a better choice.

1. Better DOF control over the advanced PnS options which have small actual focal length lenses and small sensors which results in easily 8-10x more DOF for the same settings.

2. Far better low light performance

3. Expandability in the future with interchangeable lenses.

4. Rather small for DSLR

get the pentax k-r

oO. thanks for all your inputs! its been of great help! :)
im leaning more towards the kx and i tink i'll go check it out in stores next week!

If you have shortlisted these based on price, please do take into account that the the DSLR will work out a bit more than the listed price because of the accessories that you always end up buying.
Among the other two, I personally have the P100 but I believe the Canon is a better camera.