Buying a lens hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ST1100
Um... so what did you recall reading about lens hoods?

Hi ST1100,

Basically, a lens hood can prevent unwanted light rays from entering the lens and hence reduce lens glare and ghost images. But given a choice, allow me to choose the flower lens hood. It does look professional, doesn't it??
:)

Originally posted by Megabyte
Hi ST1100,

Basically, a lens hood can prevent unwanted light rays from entering the lens and hence reduce lens glare and ghost images. But given a choice, allow me to choose the flower lens hood. It does look professional, doesn't it??
:)

Flower lens hoods are for a purpose, not just for looking pro.
They are designed to prevent vignetting on the lens/camera its supposed to be used on.

It may not work as well if u use a lens hood designed for a 2:3 sensor on a 4:3 one or vice versa.

The so call flower type lens hood are design to fit specific lenses only. Even though a Zoom lens don't have rotating front element during focusing, or neither do it extends when zooming, this does not means the focusing mechanism is the same internally. Different lenses focus differently. It would be pretty risky to assume that and flower hood designed for example, 28-70mm Sigma, will fit nicely on your own Canon 28-70mm because both have the same focal range, non extending barrel. The lmage size will change during focusing and zooming, and these hoods are designed based on the characteristic of the lenses intended.

If you want a Flower hood, get the original. If your lens doesn't have it, then get another lenses that has one made specially for it :bsmilie:

any1 knows where can i get a lens hood for my sigma 28-200mm lens ,72mm diameter?

got the lenses 2nd hand and it doesn't come with a hood.

pls advise

Status
Not open for further replies.