buying a laptop from online auction sites

jasoncartiver

Feb 27, 2009
Hi guys! I like to find out if any of you out there have any experience in buying laptop off a online auction site like ebay? And buying the laptop from overseas seller??

I am thinking of buying a macbook pro off ebay but my friend tries to dissuade me from doing me that.... So I'm not too sure.

Would love hear anyone out there with experience in this situation like mine.

Cheers,
Jason :)

Hey!

First of all, I did not buy any laptops online though I'm tempted to do so many times. But getting stuff like lens, branded labels yes. From US once, from HK once. So far so good, I think its realiable as long as it has very good ratings. Look into their reviews thoroughly before you buy. IF prices are way too cheap, better don't. Could be just gimmick. You insist pay via paypal remember, then should be okay.

But do note your macbook pro will have void warranty though. This you have to consider, unless u r able to get apple care package from singapore.

Cheers!
Thailia

hi,

Buying from Ebay certainly involves risk ... there are lots of counterfeit items around ( dun think i've seen counterfeit Macbook yet thou :) )
I am guessing that u are buying from US.

Apart from accessing seller's rating/reputation, you need to also take note of the seller registered date in Ebay. Fraudster sellers usually dun last more than 3-4 mths.

I have bought numerous items from Ebay b4 ... ranging from USD5.00 - USD300.
Choosing sellers registered more than 1 yr and rating 99.8% and above.

Longer Registration date: Lower chances of being a fraudster seller
Higher Rating: Seller shipping items faster/promptly and Item being as described

You can also check out Ebay protection scheme to see what are the things it can protect you.

If it's not at least 30% cheaper, i personally would not take the risk ... certainly not for an item worth 4 figures :).
You may also expect long shipping time( 2-3 weeks), since price after express shipping may not be attractive anymore.

The above are from my personal experience ... dun follow blindly ok ?

In early 2004, bought from the old Yahoo! auction site 2 used notebooks.

The first, a compaq business notebook i used for myself. Was ok, except after awhile, the LCD gave out, the DVD-Writer died. Seller was a student. Got to squeeze out of its life as I was using it for training in Germany.

The seocnd, a dell notebook was bought for my girlfriend then. Wasn't ok. Eventaully the battery catch was loose and the LCD hinge broke. Girlfriend wasn't happy with Dell.

Outcome: know what you are buying but be careful cos nonetheless, you never really know the actual condition of the equipment unless you take it apart.

i would recommend vr-zone. There are trade reps point to refer to, more points means good trader but no promise you may be the one out for him or her.

also, buying from the online auction, any site sure have black sheep, just be careful and check properly.

I got my HP Elitebook from ebay US last year. so far so good.
Most ebay sellers are very on-the-ball when it came to customer service.

Hey!
But do note your macbook pro will have void warranty though. This you have to consider, unless u r able to get apple care package from singapore.

Actually I think that the warranty is worldwide nowadays unless it is out of warranty by date.
So this part should be fine.

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am still hesitating whether to buy yet. Not in a hurry. I'll only need it in June so I'll have some time to think about it.

Cheers everyone! Happy CNY! :D

i hv received a call frm bidnz asking me about my email id..a sweet voice.. they provided me a free auction with a classifieds account. they will keep me updated with my business listing. seems to be good..! any reviews anybody??

bidnz.co.nz

Hey, though personally I have not bought any laptop from online auction as I have never felt the need to have one, but many of my friends have bought it from online auction. And they have no regrets or complaints about it. So I feel that you should go ahead and buy one. But make sure that you buy it from a reputable online auction site. Get the detailed review of that product.

Hi guys! I like to find out if any of you out there have any experience in buying laptop off a online auction site like ebay? And buying the laptop from overseas seller??

I am thinking of buying a macbook pro off ebay but my friend tries to dissuade me from doing me that.... So I'm not too sure.

Would love hear anyone out there with experience in this situation like mine.

Cheers,
Jason :)

Do u intend to buy an used or new MacBook pro online? There are also few factors u need to consider:
- How much saving are u getting (after include transportation/tax)?
- Does it come with anymore warranty if u planned to get used unit? Bcos if unit suffered knock/drop and became dented or damaged, u will have problem

Have u visited apple website and look at the refurbished unit by apple? Usually u will get 10-20% off the orig price.