Buying a dslr from the right place.

liyanayacob

Jun 21, 2010
Singapore
Hello guys. I am going to purchase my first dslr. A Canon 550D. Was wondering should I purchase it from the coming IT show where it's cheaper (i guess?), but I have to rush to purchase it as there will be too many customers coming in or should I buy it from a shop where I can have more time asking the person to explain things to me. Thanks. :)

Hello guys. I am going to purchase my first dslr. A Canon 550D. Was wondering should I purchase it from the coming IT show where it's cheaper (i guess?), but I have to rush to purchase it as there will be too many customers coming in or should I buy it from a shop where I can have more time asking the person to explain things to me. Thanks. :)

You have a false impression there, IT shows are not cheaper than the usual shops, in fact, they are more expensive. Forget about the goodies, they are usually useless, unless they are giving away crumpler bags like last time. Even so, the bags are also available at the shops during the IT show period. So avoid the crowd and go to a shop:)

as wad spree86 have mentioned. IT shop pricing are generally so so. Its definitely not going to be cheaper. The only thing about going to IT fair is if you are really so interested in the free gifts given to them. In most cases, its already included into the pricing of your camera. "Free Gifts" are just some nice term to make you think its really free

A common misconception is that "It Show/comex/PC Show" = cheaper. But in fact, you can usually get the sae or even better deal outside of the IT show with less stress and crowds.

Do remember to buy from the shops we recommend in the consumer's corner. Don't get conned into buying useless "wide angle and macro" convertor lenses, etc.

the rest have already recommended you not to buy from IT Show since there isn't any financial benefit.

I would just like to add one more point: Try to read and find out more about the camera/lens you want to get beforehand, and not trust the shop salesman too much. Otherwise you might risk being coerced into buying stuff like wide-angle adapters, and so on.

how abt lens? thinking of getting a 50mm 1.8 during it fair.. will it be cheaper?

IT Show can provide good packages sometimes, but very rare.

Unless you think you need more SD cards , lousy tripod, free cleaning kit of dubious quality... Suggest you go to the shops. Or you can wait and see, do your homework, sometimes there are good offers... But like I said earlier, rare.

how abt lens? thinking of getting a 50mm 1.8 during it fair.. will it be cheaper?

No, it will be RRP. If it's purchase with purchase, these bundles will be available from outside shops too.

They also don't state whether or not they have ready stock.
After committing to buy and going through the whole process, then they tell you the item is on backorder.... :complain:

you could have gave them a call before you hit the checkout button.

Thanks for the response guys. So buying from the IT show is not an advantage after all.
So is there a specific shop which you can recommend to me? Or maybe list a few?
Think I might be getting the Canon 550D Kit (EF S18-55IS) for $1349. A good choice for beginners?

Thanks for the response guys. So buying from the IT show is not an advantage after all.
Think I might be getting the Canon 550D Kit (EF S18-55IS) for $1349. A good choice for beginners?

Can try TK Foto, SLR-Revolution, Orient Photo or MS Color. Can PM me if you someone to help you

IT Show can provide good packages sometimes, but very rare.

Unless you think you need more SD cards , lousy tripod, free cleaning kit of dubious quality... Suggest you go to the shops. Or you can wait and see, do your homework, sometimes there are good offers... But like I said earlier, rare.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SD cards so cheap... just buy yourself and save that extra $100-200.

that $100-200 can get yourself a good aluminum tripod (that's much better then the cheapo tripod given to you). and u still got spare cash to get a lenspen and good cloth (u dun need that free cleaning kit given to you, its NO USE)

Last edited:

We have a Priceguides section for a reason, with a Canon thread and recommended shops. Please try to explore the forum a bit more.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/518391-Canon-Price-Lists-(Singapore)-2009-2010

If your heart is set on Canon, sure, even though the 600D was just released.

Personally you can get more bang for your buck with other cameras. ;)

Last edited:
you could have gave them a call before you hit the checkout button.

haha yes you are right...

edit: though it kinda defeats the purpose of an e-commerce site if a phonecall is still needed.

Last edited:
If you are getting Canon DSLR, buy from reputable camera shop in Singapore to enjoy the 15 months canon sg warranty for peace of mind. DD Electronics SG offer very good price for canon lens if you intend to get other lens later. 8G SD card is getting cheaper everyday, lowest price is $19.90 at this moment from Giant & Mustafa.

Goto CP, TK or those recommended retail shop. Think you should be able to get a reasonably good price.