Buying a dslr from the right place.

8G SD card is getting cheaper everyday, lowest price is $19.90 at this moment from Giant & Mustafa.

Those are horrendously slow cards. Capacity is not the most important thing believe it or not.

Those are horrendously slow cards. Capacity is not the most important thing believe it or not.

"horrendously slow" is subjective...
Not everyone shoots in RAW and burst fires in continuous mode... :)

Hi guys~ i am new~ interested in nikon D7000~
IT fair seems to have a good promo~ what do u all think~ need ur opinion
The goodies include Slik tripod, Kata bag, travel bag , E40D Cabinet 38 litre, AF 50F1.8 , Hand strap, 2 x 8 gb cards ,card reader, cleaning kit
Purchase with purchase SB900 at 600 which worth 789~
What do u all think~ should i get from here?

The goodies include Slik tripod, Kata bag, travel bag , E40D Cabinet 38 litre, AF 50F1.8 , Hand strap, 2 x 8 gb cards ,card reader, cleaning kit

i dun know about the value of those freebies, but i can get a SB900 at 650 not 789.

i dun know about the value of those freebies, but i can get a SB900 at 650 not 789.

Thanks for that info~ i got lobang that sell 350 cheaper than IT fair if it had already include gst~
Lobang goodies-8gb card and reader , nikon tripod and nikon bag + extra 350 saved money
It fair- 2x 8gb card and reader , slik tripod , kata bag , travel bag , E40D 38L cabinet , AF 50mm F1.8 ,cleaning kit and hand strap~

Questions in my mind:
slik tripod VS nikon tripod which better or both not good?
Kata bag seems better than nikon bag~
AF 50mm f1.8 worth 229 + E40D 38L cabinet worth around 75-120 + 8gb card VS 350 dollars which one?
Is E40D 38L cabinet enough for a newbie like me?

Thanks for that info~ i got lobang that sell 350 cheaper than IT fair if it had already include gst~
Lobang goodies-8gb card and reader , nikon tripod and nikon bag + extra 350 saved money
It fair- 2x 8gb card and reader , slik tripod , kata bag , travel bag , E40D 38L cabinet , AF 50mm F1.8 ,cleaning kit and hand strap~

Questions in my mind:
slik tripod VS nikon tripod which better or both not good?
Kata bag seems better than nikon bag~
AF 50mm f1.8 worth 229 + E40D 38L cabinet worth around 75-120 + 8gb card VS 350 dollars which one?
Is E40D 38L cabinet enough for a newbie like me?

The slik tripod they are giving away isn't that good, it's under the budget series. 50mm f1.8 new cost around $190, dry cabinet around $120, you can weigh which on is better:)

Don't know what the IT Show price is, so hard to say.
If you know the value of the individual items, then you can easily do a side-by-side comparison... :)
Free tripod is a waste of $ coz it doesn't support a DSLR well, and if you tighten too hard, you'll risk breaking one of the knobs or something, then your tripod is as good as junk.
At least bag or cabinet or memory cards still usable.

yep, but i'll rot while waiting if i got 8GB full of images to be transfered to my PC... haha

few minutes of waiting :)
Still ok for me, since I almost never fill the card and I can do something else whilst the images are being transferred...

Don't know what the IT Show price is, so hard to say.
If you know the value of the individual items, then you can easily do a side-by-side comparison... :)
Free tripod is a waste of $ coz it doesn't support a DSLR well, and if you tighten too hard, you'll risk breaking one of the knobs or something, then your tripod is as good as junk.
At least bag or cabinet or memory cards still usable.

Standard IT fair pricing... RRP!!

http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle.php?view=full&pageid=249-945ea6029a

TS, just buy the camera at any other reputable shops for a much better price. The freebies come from Nikon, so whoever you buy the camera from, you will still be able to claim the same freebies. Please refer to the Nikon Price guide for the current market pricings of the equipment you are looking for.

Still ok for me, since I almost never fill the card and I can do something else whilst the images are being transferred...

i'll rot only if its a full 8GB of images... haha
8GB = 8000MB
the cheapest class 4 is about 4Mb/s

so if its a full 8000MB (or near) would take
8000/4/60 = 33mins

8GB = 8000MB

8000/4/60 = 33mins

8GB = 8000MB

8000/4/60 = 33mins

4mb is write speed la. Read speeds are way faster.

4mb is write speed la. Read speeds are way faster.

i thought manufacturers, like sandisk, only advertise on their read speed which is usually faster. like the sandisk thumbdrive i bought with 25MB/s read speed and 18MB/s write. they print the read speed big and bold, but the write speed print in fine... haha

anyway thx for info :)

Last edited:
8GB = 8000MB

8000/4/60 = 33mins

if 33mins then I would definitely agree that it's too slow/long.
But as DD said, I'm pretty sure the read speeds are much faster than 4MB/s.
I remember chancing upon a review site that compared such specs :)

Retailers have to incur extra expenses to sell at IT show. How to sell cheaper than those at the shops

I think IT Show I will only get memory cards for my camera. Haha.

Don't bother to squeeze yourself in the over packed IT Show to get your DSLR. Waste so much time and effort just to get those crappy freebies. And the salesperson there hardly got time to entertain you 1 to 1 and give you good services. He will be busy entertaining 1 to 3 or 5. And don't bother asking them about technical or photography stuffs. Most of them are temp part timers. They know little about photography. They will just read out from their brochures to you. You are paying so much money but you are not getting any services. After purchase if any problem or missing items you gotta squeeze back in the IT Show to find them again. That will be a pain in the ass.

Buy from reputable shops recommended in CS. Not only cheaper in price you also get better services. And you can spend your time slowly choosing and inspecting your equipments no hurry at all. Any problem after purchase just go back to the shop or call them to ask.

Retailers have to incur extra expenses to sell at IT show. How to sell cheaper than those at the shops

not entirely truth, you dont get that much potential crowd of targeted audiences elsewhere in one place, so the cost is justified with high sales volume. they still profit from market exposure and margin even if its lower per item. just that it may not apply to some products like DSLR.

if 33mins then I would definitely agree that it's too slow/long.
But as DD said, I'm pretty sure the read speeds are much faster than 4MB/s.
I remember chancing upon a review site that compared such specs :)

nah, i'm just playing with the numbers... haha
i only fill up my entire 8GB in 2 occasions, still i never regret spending on a class 10 card!

yep, but i'll rot while waiting if i got 8GB full of images to be transfered to my PC... haha

File transfers aside, there are times where you actually would use continuous mode. So it's a good to have.

Same like good tripods, better cameras.. I think we should all acknowledge that it's nice to have good-to-have things, and we're all entitled to that... So some people have preferences for $1,000 tripods, $3,000 cameras - it's fine, as long as they know what they're doing and don't expect to have their photography improved by leaps and bounds from a simple upgrade. Same for cards. :) To me, a good card costs a lot less than many other good-to-have things in photography, so I'm willing to spend on card speed (though not capacity).

Cheers.