Buying A Camera Online

Cheng Yu Hung

Dec 26, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hey guys I'm a musician trying to go into video stuff, relatively new here too. I wanted to get a second hand Canon 550d (t2i).
I came across this guy that post on hardwarezone.

He goes by the name Roberto Diaz, website: petcltd(dot)miiduu(dot)com

I then later emailed him asking about the T2i, he said its for USD400. The full camera not just the body and will deliver within 48hours using Fedex. It's a pretty tempting deal, however i thought about it, it might be a scam. Anyone out here bought from this guy before? Thank you for your time! Your reply will be appreciated greatly! :) Have a nice day!

Cheng Yu Hung said:
Hey guys I'm a musician trying to go into video stuff, relatively new here too. I wanted to get a second hand Canon 550d (t2i).
I came across this guy that post on hardwarezone.

He goes by the name Roberto Diaz, website: petcltd(dot)miiduu(dot)com

I then later emailed him asking about the T2i, he said its for USD400. The full camera not just the body and will deliver within 48hours using Fedex. It's a pretty tempting deal, however i thought about it, it might be a scam. Anyone out here bought from this guy before? Thank you for your time! Your reply will be appreciated greatly! :) Have a nice day!

u can try.

:D

i hope that answers your question.

It is generally safer in my opinion to buy face to face even if slightly more expensive. One hand pass money one hand pass goods is the best.

Look at our own buy and sell for indicative pricing.

Hi yu hong,

Buying online can reap u savings but all u need is one botched deal and u lose all savings plus losses.

My suggestion is if u must buy online, part yr money with a reputable online retailer like amazon, b&h, eBay (sellers with high ratings, not all eBay sellers are reliable though!).

You have some form of recourse should the purchase don't turn up well, but for never been heard websites, u can say goodbye to yr us$400 the moment u 'click' yr mouse. Hope thy helps.

Usd400 is not a fantastic price for the 550d with kit anyway.

Better to buy from reputable shops if it's your first camera.

Protect yourself - when it comes to online purchases, I don't buy into the "pay first, get goods later" crap unless it really for small amounts, and for local transactions only. It is easier to lodge a police report in case it goes wrong.

Always go for credit card or Paypal payment where it is easier to raise a dispute in case of fraud. But nothing beats COD (which is almost the same as retail walk-in purchase).

Check out the guys reputation first - which I can see you are trying to do.

Remember, for online purchases, when it is too good to be true, it probably is.

US$400 for used 550D + kit not a very good deal.
Look out on our buy and sell folder..good price offering there, safer and convenient.

It's not about delivery, most important is payment method. They offer Western Union or Money Gram - in both cases you have zero influence on the transfer once you have sent it. They can claim the money did not arrive, despite having collected it - because it's cash. Any transfer via credit cards or direct Giro transfer can be traced.
Secondly: they state something like "48h via Fedex" (which they also describe as "48h delivery lead time" - which rather sounds to me as if they need 48h to pack your stuffs), but nowhere they list down the shipping costs openly. Guess these costs will 'miraculously' appear on the bill in the last moment.
For an online shop pretty amateurish, I wouldn't want to spend any money there, especially if the same deal can be found in Singapore.

Thank you all for your replies! Really liking this community :D I guess i will just wait for a good deal here!

Click on the Personal Classifieds. mostly usuable or even good stuff there.
Find a checklist for what to check when buying 2nd hand. Google helps