buying a 2nd hand dslr, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nartz

Mar 5, 2006
hey, i'm sort of a noob to dslr cameras but ive played w prosumer cameras on and off much. i'm interested in purchasing a 2nd hand digital camera and i've shortlisted two cameras - the canon 350d and the digital rebel xt (i suppose they are almost the same thing right?). so i have a few questions:

1. is it wise to purchase these cameras if i'm looking to step up to dslr level, considering that they have been on the market for at least 2 years already? are they considered old cameras?

2. what is an acceptable price range for these two cameras in the 2nd hand market?

3. what should i look out for when purchasing 2nd hand? buying tips and warnings?

4. are there any other 2nd hand or 1st hand cameras i can consider purchasing instead of these two that is below $1000?

5. what distinguishes a canon from say, a nikon?

6. and finally, anyone have any idea how much the nikon d40x will be retailing and if it is a good camera? :)

thanks, and sorry for the many questions!

Q1: Not using canon but i think 350d is a pretty good beginner dslr. most of the stuff u will ever wanna use will be in there. IMHO, i don really care about how old the model is, as long as it is good.

Q2: can't be more than 1k ba (with kit len), i can be wrong so pls check it out. I think some places still selling first hand 350d kit at abt 1.2k (if i didn rem wrongly)...

Q3: shutter count and external condition. I think the 350d housing is pretty plasticky, so do check for it. test the camera by taking some shots. best if u can find a friend that know all these stuff to be with u when u are buying. U know, when someone is out to sell (cheat) u a "lemon", it's hard to avoid. I know, because i kanna b4 :cry: . so just be careful.

Q4: maybe a d70s or a d50?

Q5: both brands are good. i have no comments. ;p

Q6: I got a e-quote this morning form MSC: Nikon D40x kit--$1140(inc.gst) free 2 G card
I don think u can AF the d40x with some nikon lenses (those that can be used on film ones). If that is the case then u will miss out the fun of many lenses.

Hope this helps. Have fun. :D

well. the 350d and rebel xt are the same camere. it's called the rebel xt in the US. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, it is a discontinued model. It's replacement is the 400d. However, the jump from 350d to 400d isn't that big. 400d has 10mp, self sensor cleaning (which doesn't work v well), a new auto focus system etc. The 350d is already quite well speced and has most of the functions that a budding fotographer will want.

2)Check out the buy and sell section, think it should be $800

3) Check for cracks, weird sounds. Look through the view finder. Check that shutter priority and aperture priority are working. Check flash. Check lense mount. Check that lense can mounted and dismounted smoothly. Perhaps someone else can advise anything i missed out...

4) The only new cam below 1k is the d40. But don't get that 1, it will only autofocus on AF-S lenses and HSM lenses from sigma. This will greatly limit the lenses you can use.

5) Both brands are equally good and hav their respective advantages and disadvantages. Don't really want to go in to full fledged debate with nikon users here. I compared both nikon and canon before I bought my camera and read tonnes of reviews. I bought a 350d.

6) The problem with the d40x is the same as the d40. Auto focus with only AF-S lenses. It may seem cheap now and compared to the 400d, it's slightly cheaper (400d price reduced in the last few months) but will cost you more in the form of AF-S lenses / HSM lenses.

1. is it wise to purchase these cameras if i'm looking to step up to dslr level, considering that they have been on the market for at least 2 years already? are they considered old cameras?
Ans: If your budget is around $1-1.5K is better to get a new one.

2. what is an acceptable price range for these two cameras in the 2nd hand market?
Ans: Find it yourself in B&S section...

3. what should i look out for when purchasing 2nd hand? buying tips and warnings?
Ans: For DSLR, the shutter count. Test it during deal time.

4. are there any other 2nd hand or 1st hand cameras i can consider purchasing instead of these two that is below $1000?
Ans: Talk to the dealer...maybe older model?

5. what distinguishes a canon from say, a nikon?
Ans: Not much, but look at the later purchases or resell that link to it.

6. and finally, anyone have any idea how much the nikon d40x will be retailing and if it is a
good camera? :)
Ans: Check out the Nikon price guide...everything is there.

BTW, look at this: http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245883

Will help you in your purchases...

I'm a Sony DSLR user, but I've used the nikon and canon models, so let me try to answer.

1. They are the same camera. The new version is the 400D, though many (including myself) find the 350D to be the better cam.

2. I would not pay more than 800 Singapore dollars for a second hand one with kit lens.

3. Lots mentioned above... most importantly, TAKE YOUR TIME when buying. Test everything. Bring your laptop along so you can upload and inspect the pics immediately.

4. Well, there's the Nikon D70 and the Sony A100.

5. There are several differences, and they'll all lead to endless debate. From my own experience, the Canon has much better high ISO noise control and the autofocus is (marginally) faster, whereas the Nikon and Sony have much better lenses and colors. Canon colors tend to be "flat".

6. Check out the review on dpreview. I'd avoid it. It feels like a toy and requires expensive lenses.

Serious consider the D70 cause unlike canon the D70 is modeled after the D2H and D100 in fact its much better than the D100. You have professional touches and button and functions. Unlike the unfriendly 350d with only a single wheel where u have to hold the av button to change apateure value.

Most importantly trust me. you will most probably be spending more on lens than body. ;) TRUST ME haha.

hey guys!

i was just going to start a thread about the same topic..

i cant make up my mind wheather i should go for a D50/D70 or a 350D. i was looking at the lens selection and canon seems to be more popular on the BnS forum but nikon seems to be a tad cheaper.

since i am pretty much on a shoe string budget, what would you guys recommend?

thanks!

hey guys!

i cant make up my mind wheather i should go for a D50/D70 or a 350D. i was looking at the lens selection and canon seems to be more popular on the BnS forum but nikon seems to be a tad cheaper.

thanks!

Actually canon lenses are not more expensive, this is a myth that I see floating around clubsnap. Some canon lenses are more expensive than nikon lenses but it is equally likely that nikon lenses are more expensive than canon. You probably get that impression after looking in the BnS because recently there are quite a number of canon 70-200mm f4L for sale. This is an L lense so would definitely cost more.

hey guys!

thanks!

how much is your shoe string budget? no offend, but seriously, it is not cheap to own a dSLR system. I'm not just refering to the body alone, it's about the lenses and stuff. Trust me, u will not just want to shoot using your kit lenses. money is a big issue... just get a good prosumer camera will be good, if u are on a real budget. many prosumers nowadays are very good. think carefully... :D

well, i've planned to pull out about 1k to burn on a camera. the way things look, i'm thinking of a 350D.

1K just for the body alone or body and lens? You probably can get by for a couple of months, after that you'll have to consider these extras you will need : $100 for a dry cabinet, $300-$400 for a flash, $80 for rechargable batteries & charger, $50 for bag, $80 for a cheap tripod that's sufficent for your use.

Well 1000 for a whole package isnt much especially if u consider a 350D. Probably u can get a body and a kit lens ( walk about) which should suffice for outdoor shoots and mild indoor shoots due to slow lens (f3.5 +) as well as the harsh and weak built in flash.

For someone who's been through that stage 2 months. YES, 2 months ago. I thought I could get by with just 1 kit lens at least for 1/2 year before I start to "itch". Within 1 week, I bought a mid-range tripod, by the 3rd week, the limitations on my kit lens started to show, and by 4th week, the built-in flash was not popping up anymore (Cos I decided to buy an external flash, as the quality of the built-in flash was getting to me).

My initial budget of max $2000 for the cam and some other peripherals was BUSTED within 1 week. And I began to dig deepeer into my "PIGGY". Before long, I did an excel spreadsheet, and realised I've spent almost $5K:bigeyes: :bigeyes:, and my set-up is now still basic.

Advice for those jumping onboard the 1st time - if you can resist the BBB virus, well and good. If you can't, make sure you have Plan B, Plan C, etc to spend more than what you have budgeted for.

Else, you'll be so frustrated at the limited funds to fulfill your unlimited "needs/ wants", that it kills the joy of owning your very 1st DSLR. Simply said, do look at some of the photos posted (and decide if you'll be following that style/ genre of photo taking), and look deeper within yourself, and ask yourself what is the real reason of you jumping onboard (the DSLR Ship)?

ive got a dry box and tripod already..

i know the limitations of the kit lens and thats why im thinking of staying off it. my guesitmate would be about $750 for a 350d and another 100 on a 50mm f1.8 and about 250 on a 70-300mm f4-5.6 for the zoo.

and thats for the time being, well until i can save up enough to get something more potent.

You'll be in trouble very soon if you haven't considered a wide angle anywhere unless your scope of photography just doesn't cover wide angle.
In addition, a tripod's needed if you're intending to take shots of the fireworks end of this June & August.

ive got a dry box and tripod already..

i know the limitations of the kit lens and thats why im thinking of staying off it. my guesitmate would be about $750 for a 350d and another 100 on a 50mm f1.8 and about 250 on a 70-300mm f4-5.6 for the zoo.

and thats for the time being, well until i can save up enough to get something more potent.

I thought i could survive without a wideangle and it was true for the most part until I realised that sometimes the 70-200 is too tight. I then resorted to borrowing kits off and on for casual shoots. Unless you really think you wont need the wideangles then yes that 50/1.8 + 70-300 is a good choice. I dont really like the bokeh of the 50/1.8 though , much prefer the 35/2 ;p

ah.. okay, i had a look though canon's ef lens book and i pretty much like the 50mm 1.8 if it were on a SLR, so in DSLR terms, that would be a 30mm. i think you are right, a 35/2 might be a better option.

what are my options for 35mm f2 lenses?

ah.. okay, i had a look though canon's ef lens book and i pretty much like the 50mm 1.8 if it were on a SLR, so in DSLR terms, that would be a 30mm. i think you are right, a 35/2 might be a better option.

what are my options for 35mm f2 lenses?

Erm. Your math is messed up. You should multiply for the crop factor, not divide.

hmm..i think i didnt explain properly.

i like the fov of a 50mm on a ff camera, so if i want to get the same fov on a 1.6 crop i think i need to divide it by 1.6..

am i right?

hmm..i think i didnt explain properly.

i like the fov of a 50mm on a ff camera, so if i want to get the same fov on a 1.6 crop i think i need to divide it by 1.6..

am i right?

Yes, that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.