Buying 2nd hand Photoshop: is it possiblr to change the owership?


Status
Not open for further replies.

yqt

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2004
1,750
0
0
East of Singapore
#1
Hi all,
Have anyone bought a 2nd hand photoshop software before?

How do you change the copyright ownership with Adobe? I wanted to get another set of Photoshop CS2 and was hoping to buy a 2nd hand set of the photoshop 7 or CS and than buy the upgrade ( cheaper this way I guess ) but was advise that it may not be easy to change the ownership at Adobe side. Just having a written copy from the seller to say that he/she have sold software is not good enough as Adobe may not recognize it.

Can anyone here provide some advise?

Thanks in advance.
 

jopel

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2004
1,175
1
0
#2
you can install your pscs2 on 2 computers. this is stated in adobe website. the clause is that you cannot use them at the same time.
 

KCLow

New Member
Nov 14, 2004
369
0
0
#4
Most software licenses are only a right/license to use the software, you do not own it. If you go thru the detailed license agreement, you will also find that this right is not normally transferable. This kind of means that there is normally no point in buying 2nd hand software.

Most software companies only require you to hand in media in cases of upgrades, without checking ownership. So ....
 

yqt

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2004
1,750
0
0
East of Singapore
#5
KCLow said:
Most software licenses are only a right/license to use the software, you do not own it. If you go thru the detailed license agreement, you will also find that this right is not normally transferable. This kind of means that there is normally no point in buying 2nd hand software.

Most software companies only require you to hand in media in cases of upgrades, without checking ownership. So ....
Thanks for the info. but if kanna check by gov I don't think they will just go by the registered owner. Right?
 

yqt

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2004
1,750
0
0
East of Singapore
#6
jopel said:
you can install your pscs2 on 2 computers. this is stated in adobe website. the clause is that you cannot use them at the same time.
:think: interesting, I was under the impression that 1 lic. is only for one computer. Can I have the link also? Thanks.
 

yqt

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2004
1,750
0
0
East of Singapore
#9
ortega said:
that does not help...

i know about the ability to install one in the office and i at home thingy
but 2 in the office?
That's what I need, 2 computers in the studio, 1 for mac and 1 for PC now only on my mac laptop and the new PC don't have photoshop yet so intending to get one for it.
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#10
yqt said:
That's what I need, 2 computers in the studio, 1 for mac and 1 for PC now only on my mac laptop and the new PC don't have photoshop yet so intending to get one for it.
different computing platforms sure cannot one.
why not buy a scanner and get the bundled software

or try cross grade or upsell, i'll find out for you
 

benedium

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
1,204
0
0
www.photo.net
#11
I am not familiar with the exact laws and T&Cs, but using common sense, NO, You cannot legally buy or use second hand software.

As written in some of the terms of use, You do not buy the product. You buy the license to use it for yourself. You should be able to instal one in the office and one at home but, make sure you are the only one using both copies.

At the last ad agency I worked in, there was photoshop software installed in most of the machines, but some could not open photoshop sometimes and would display an error message saying that it is being used at the moment by another machine.

If the agency only bought license or softwares for 3 machines, then only three machines can use at one time. It doesn't matter how many machines were installed with the software.
 

yqt

Senior Member
Sep 8, 2004
1,750
0
0
East of Singapore
#16
Thanks Ortega.

Was hoping to get the Photoshop 7 or CS and than buy the upgrade. Know how to do the transfer of ownership? I check with a shop in SLS who does resales of software, and they said that it can be transfered but they go no stock for CS or 7 ( hot products ), you got lobang?
 

fotoudavid

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2005
2,158
3
38
#18
ortega said:
Photoshop CS2
Retail SGD1,249
Upgrade SGD349

a more correct links should be

http://www.adobe.com/ap/

I bought PS CS2 at $1049, cheapest liao, search high and low. At funan 3rd or 4th level, green signboard i think.

Correct, we pay so much just for the license, so upgrade pay $300 plus.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom