Buying 2nd hand lenses

hmm guys, need advise here, going to buy a lens from a fellow CSer, but the thing is how i ensure i can use the warranty?

"Warranty: Tagged with kit lens. Able to transfer when the deal is sealed. "

and do i need just the warranty card or i need a receipt as well?

Most lenses have a 1 year warranty, and is verified with the warranty card + receipt together. Also, read the following thread...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497890

However, if it is extended warranty from places like Harvey Norman... what I understand is that the extended warranty is not transferable. You can read the fine print of the HN warranty terms and conditions.

So... please check before you hand over $$$ to buy if warranty is important to you...

Last edited:
hi, what happens if i want to buy a 2nd hand lens which is the kit lens of a body and there is still warranty left?
i understand that as the buyer i would require the original receipt to claim warranty for the lens but normally the receipt will combine the body and the lens due to it is a kit.
what are the options for the seller and buyer for that kit lens with some warranty left?

hi, what happens if i want to buy a 2nd hand lens which is the kit lens of a body and there is still warranty left?
i understand that as the buyer i would require the original receipt to claim warranty for the lens but normally the receipt will combine the body and the lens due to it is a kit.
what are the options for the seller and buyer for that kit lens with some warranty left?

You can try to stay in touch with the seller and have him agree to help if needed, because he has the original receipt. I know some photocopy the receipt, but I dunno how useful that is (never tried myself). But if the body and lens has been registered, it should show up in the system when you bring the lens in for servicing.

Even if you do not have the receipt, for Nikon users, I know they do track their products as to when it goes to the shops. Nikon can give you an estimate based on when it goes to the shops and use that as the start of the warranty (but you may loose the days that it sits on the shelf).

if the seller claims he has not registered yet the kit lens on the website (probably cos it is still quite new), can the next buyer for the kit lens take over the registration of warranty?
what is the time frame allowed under nikon policy? eg. as long as you register your product online within one year it is ok?

if the seller claims he has not registered yet the kit lens on the website (probably cos it is still quite new), can the next buyer for the kit lens take over the registration of warranty?
what is the time frame allowed under nikon policy? eg. as long as you register your product online within one year it is ok?

I won't be able to answer your questions here as I've not registered my stuff... so maybe you can call Nikon about this... and then post it here after you find out... thanks :)

I won't be able to answer your questions here as I've not registered my stuff... so maybe you can call Nikon about this... and then post it here after you find out... thanks :)
Reply from Nikon:
Please be informed you need to register for your e-warranty within a year from date of purchase.

Hi all! Just a good tip, you can actually get lenses free when you buy your dslrs at warehouse sales! Sometimes the bargains would be getting an entire lens free when you purchase a camera package :)

Hi all! Just a good tip, you can actually get lenses free when you buy your dslrs at warehouse sales! Sometimes the bargains would be getting an entire lens free when you purchase a camera package :)

Their called KIT lenses. if its not what you're talking about, it's called clear out cheapo lenses promotion.

very useful, but then even if it the image seems okay on your camera LCD, may not be okay when you reach home and view it on your com.
if you worry that, bring your laptop for testing.

What will happen if you bought a 2nd hand lens that is stolen / lost from the the real owner?

What will happen if you bought a 2nd hand lens that is stolen / lost from the the real owner?

This is something that is best handled by the police, not on a forum like ClubSnap. :p

But logically, it *may* be found out if you bring the lens for servicing at CSC and it is flagged as "stolen". Then the police will visit you. They will confiscate the lens, and you can defend yourself by saying it was bought second-hand, but you better have the SMS/emails to prove it - otherwise you are in possession of stolen goods.

Sometimes the bargains would be getting an entire lens free when you purchase a camera package :)

there are sales of dismembered lenses?

so we can buy the lens' body first... and the elements are sold separately? :bsmilie:

Thanks Rashkae, sorry for the double post at the other thread :cry:

thanks for the guide

Hi, anyone selling Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8?

Is there a thread in clubsnap where buyer can post to get help when they are being cheated by seller? :( seller says lens no fungus.. Like new condition... Buyer bought then later on found out there is fungus... Sent seller picture of fungus but seller no longer responding to buyer :(