buying 2nd hand flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashramuk

Nov 27, 2008
hi, i've been looking around for 2nd hand flash,
just bump into a seller selling 580EXII just wondering how to check the condition of the flash?
there are threads on buying second hand lenses but not flash so hope u guys would help to give some advice on flash.
and would flash spoil as easily as lenses?
will there be any mulfunction?
is it safe to buy a flash without warranty?

hi i'm also interested in knowing how to determine if the flash u're buying is not faulty and stuff.
anyone can advice?

Do the same as described for lenses, just match / map a bit:
- Outside check for scratches, obvious signs of abuse, dirt, dents etc
- Insert fully charged batteries, switch on. Does the display appear properly? Can the settings be done using knobs and buttons? Do a test fire with pilot button.
- Mount flash on camera. Is the mount stable? Can be mount be locked properly?
- Do test shots and adjust FEC in camera, should be quite obvious whether the flash can do FEC -2; 0 and +2. Do the same for manual flash settings.
- If you happen to have a 430 or another 580 at hand you can also check the master / slave function. Read your camera manual, download the 580EX manual so that you know what to setup.
There is no safety and warranty is just a bet. In the same way as cameras can go down 1 week after warranty finished the same can happen to your flash. That's the price for saving $ in purchase.

hi guys!im looking for a 2nd hand lens,currently im using nikon D60,anyone selling lens?

hi guys!im looking for a 2nd hand lens,currently im using nikon D60,anyone selling lens?

Frodo would get a whack from Bilbo for such a question. How far can a hobbit go with closed eyes and not thinking?
Instead of hijacking other people's threads you might want to have a look at the forum top level page and scroll down. You will see the section Personal Classifieds. In order to determine which lens is suitable for D60 you might want to read the camera manual (hint: it's about the focusing motor) or check with Nikon.

Frodo would get a whack from Bilbo for such a question. How far can a hobbit go with closed eyes and not thinking?
Instead of hijacking other people's threads you might want to have a look at the forum top level page and scroll down. You will see the section Personal Classifieds. In order to determine which lens is suitable for D60 you might want to read the camera manual (hint: it's about the focusing motor) or check with Nikon.

Nice one Octarine, that bit about hobbits. LOL :bsmilie:. Anyway, I have given up hope on the getting the Marumi DHG CPL here in SG. I will get it when I go to China next month. Cheaper there too.

SOrry TS for the slight OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.