Buying 2nd hand cameras for newbies

shoxrz

Mar 30, 2011
Hello there,
Just wanted to know what major things to consider if ("ever") you are buying a 2nd hand camera(say 1 yr old ). thanks in advance and more power...

Hello there,
Just wanted to know what major things to consider if ("ever") you are buying a 2nd hand camera(say 1 yr old ). thanks in advance and more power...

Bring an experienced friend along when buying, so that he/she can help you check the camera.

daredevil123 said:
Bring an experienced friend along when buying, so that he/she can help you check the camera.

Yup best would be that. Even if we tell you here you might not know how to go around checking or miss out certain areas, bring a friend who know would be safest. Observe how he do it then you will know how the next time.

Hi spree and DD,
Thanks for the advice. Though we consider the appearance, I read that we could check the shutter count? just like when buying a car, we look at the distance it has traveled. any idea on the count for canon and nikon before we have it checked or replaced?

shoxrz said:
Hi spree and DD,
Thanks for the advice. Though we consider the appearance, I read that we could check the shutter count? just like when buying a car, we look at the distance it has traveled. any idea on the count for canon and nikon before we have it checked or replaced?

Well, estimated maximum shutter count is different for all models. It's just an estimation so don't worry too much. Some shutters fail way below the number and some are going strong with way high higher shutter counts

Thanks again. I'll do with your advice....God Bless.

shoxrz said:
Hi spree and DD,

Shutter count is an indicator of how many times a shutter was actuated. It says nothing about how it was handled and what it went through.

That said, not all camera models provide that information freely. Canon cameras, for example, requires you to send the camera into the service center to extract that information, for a fee.

Last edited:
Hi spree and DD,

Nope, i would not rely on the shutter count..it is how the camera was used and stored.

Nope, i would not rely on the shutter count..it is how the camera was used and stored.

yes, that is important but the SC will give you a guide on how heavily is the cam being used.

a shutter count that is near to 100k and one is only 5k, the difference in value can be up to $500.

lcheowl said:
yes, that is important but the SC will give you a guide on how heavily is the cam being used.

a shutter count that is near to 100k and one is only 5k, the difference in value can be up to $500.

Ppl had already exaggerate beyond that. My camera shutter count is at 20k and ppl are expecting 40% discount -_-"

shoxrz said:
Hello there,

When u buy use stuff, pls check and double check grey set price.. Some used local sets without warranty are price more than grey sets with 1 yr warranty.. So research more into the price and make your choice wisely.. Good luck..