Buying 24-105 F4L

wedoodle

Apr 13, 2011
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Currently Im using my kit lens 18-55 and 50 1.4. Thinking of getting a 24-105 for its focal length, as i forsee myself upgrading to a FF cam in near future. My forte is street photography.

Any advises? Thanks.

If you will be buying a FF soon then 24-105mm is one of the best lenses that fits a full frame. Otherwise you can consider a 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 or a 17-55mm f2.8L

Correction. 17-55mm f2.8 is not an L lens. But its considered very good.

near future is how soon?

nobody's know when it will be.

you prepared the $ for 5DMK3 already? once it's out, you'll buy it?

Ya. Shld have enough for it. Well, it doesnt matter abt the when 5DM3 is coming out, but i wondering the 24-105 will be a good add-on to my current holdings.

Effectively you will be using a (38.4-168mm) on your current camera(model not mentioned).

It will definitely suit street photography. If going wide is not an issue, then this is a good walk-about lens.

If u thinking of FF in the future, you should get this lens.. Use it during my last trip (then 500D), and i love it.. i use my Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 for indoor shoot only.. Most of the time, 28-105 is on my body...

Effectively you will be using a (38.4-168mm) on your current camera(model not mentioned).

It will definitely suit street photography. If going wide is not an issue, then this is a good walk-about lens.

Its a 600D. Thanks you (= Guess it will be a good add.

If u thinking of FF in the future, you should get this lens.. Use it during my last trip (then 500D), and i love it.. i use my Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 for indoor shoot only.. Most of the time, 28-105 is on my body...

Wont it be a heavy lens with a light body? abit unbalanced when u are taking your shoots?

Since you said you are going FF.. then its good also...since its a FF lens. I can only think of afew things..Since you are using a crop sensor now..the FL will not be 24-105.. The lens is quite bulky..and finally do you think F4 is fast enough for street photography?

My advise is.. get it if you can afford and can justify it.

If you will be buying a FF soon then 24-105mm is one of the best lenses that fits a full frame. Otherwise you can consider a 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 or a 17-55mm f2.8L

Correction. 17-55mm f2.8 is not an L lens. But its considered very good.

Both 15-85mm and 17-55mm cannot be mount on a FF camera. And since TS is going to upgrade to FF, there simply is no reason to get these two lenses as they are not exactly cheap.

TS... for street photography, you might want to check out the 24-70mm f2.8L, which is an excellent lens, and very fast... sometime, you need that speed.

IMO, i believe in here and now.

no point having something for the future when what you need is the appropriate tool for the present state.

there is always a resale market for the high quality EF-S lenses, where you can buy/sell these lenses.

Ya. Shld have enough for it. Well, it doesnt matter abt the when 5DM3 is coming out, but i wondering the 24-105 will be a good add-on to my current holdings.

The 5D3 would probably be sold with the 24-105 as the kit lens. So you can get it slightly cheaper if you buy it with the body. But if you are struck with the BBB bug then just get it.

Since you said you are going FF.. then its good also...since its a FF lens. I can only think of afew things..Since you are using a crop sensor now..the FL will not be 24-105.. The lens is quite bulky..and finally do you think F4 is fast enough for street photography?

While f4 is not exactly fast I think this lens is okay for street photography. The IS helps and typically most shots are sharp even when you are shooting quickly.

Both 15-85mm and 17-55mm cannot be mount on a FF camera. And since TS is going to upgrade to FF, there simply is no reason to get these two lenses as they are not exactly cheap.

TS... for street photography, you might want to check out the 24-70mm f2.8L, which is an excellent lens, and very fast... sometime, you need that speed.

24-70 is not with IS i supposed. My hands do shake alot, so even with a bigger aperature, i still have set a faster shutter speed or higher iso to compensate for the images.

The 5D3 would probably be sold with the 24-105 as the kit lens. So you can get it slightly cheaper if you buy it with the body. But if you are struck with the BBB bug then just get it.

Yup, i gg HK this month end. Maybe will get it there.

While f4 is not exactly fast I think this lens is okay for street photography. The IS helps and typically most shots are sharp even when you are shooting quickly.

Agreed, F4 might not be fast enough. But i hav to side the IS and extra focal length compared to 24-70mm f2.8.

Wont it be a heavy lens with a light body? abit unbalanced when u are taking your shoots?

I used the vertical grip to counter it.. Love the lens.. very fast during the day... and we manage to get several good shot on Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge while traveling in the bus.

For canon, I don't recommend 24-70 2.8...as it not as sharp compared to nikon. Go for 24-105 f4. It's a very good lens where many used it for wedding. Since you are going to full frame soon, not point getting 17-55, just get 24-105 and your kit lens for e wide angle will do.