Buying 1st DSLR 550D...

skyymanz

Jun 25, 2009
Hi all,

I getting the canon 550d this wk.

Thinking of getting kit 1 with 18-55mm lens. Is it advisable to get the kit lens or source for another better lens then buy the body? Dun think i need tele zoom.

And also duing purchase what should i look out for?

Check body make sure no defect. Check LCD screen. Need to check for dead pixels?

Thanks. :)

Take some shots also. IMHO, buy the kit lens! If you want , you can either buy the body only then buy a second hand lens.

When buying make sure its brand new set. Try out all the button n dail node is working. Most of time thr is no prob at all for any new model. Get the kit lens n learn ur way for dslr then decide wat kind of lens u prefer. Photography in dslr is a real expensive hobby so advice that decide wat really suits u n do research before having any wrong decision and regretful selling away your gear in a lost price. Cheers n happy shotting.

Beside the basic functioning of the buttons and obvious flaws in the cosmetics, there is not much you can check in the shop itself.

A more useful approach is the clarify the return policy of the shop, that should allow you to take the camera home and try it out in real situations; anything wrong with the manufacturing, return to the shop for an exchange.

When buying make sure its brand new set. Try out all the button n dail node is working. Most of time thr is no prob at all for any new model. Get the kit lens n learn ur way for dslr then decide wat kind of lens u prefer. Photography in dslr is a real expensive hobby so advice that decide wat really suits u n do research before having any wrong decision and regretful selling away your gear in a lost price. Cheers n happy shotting.

Hi thanks..

How to make sure its brand new? Box should be sealed?

Notice that u got a 50mm f/1.8.. Is the lens good? thinking of add it.. :D

If this is your first venture into DSLR, probably getting the kit lens (18-55mm) will be a good place to start with.

The 50mm f1.8 is a very good lens, price-quality wise. It is a good lens to start experimenting with dof.

Have been holding on to my 550D for 1 month now. Bought the body only and later the secondhand EF 16-35 f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. Still trying out the functions.... but I find that the shutter vibration is not so pleasing as compared to my friend's Nikon. But what the heck, already bought liao so no choice still to it. Thinking of getting the grip and extra battery later follow by flash.

Have been holding on to my 550D for 1 month now. Bought the body only and later the secondhand EF 16-35 f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. Still trying out the functions.... but I find that the shutter vibration is not so pleasing as compared to my friend's Nikon. But what the heck, already bought liao so no choice still to it. Thinking of getting the grip and extra battery later follow by flash.

wow.. thats expensive lens.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

u compare with which nikon? D90?

Just curious, what do you mean by shutter vibration? Does that really affect how your pictures turn out?

Hi all,

I getting the canon 550d this wk.

Thinking of getting kit 1 with 18-55mm lens. Is it advisable to get the kit lens or source for another better lens then buy the body? Dun think i need tele zoom.

And also duing purchase what should i look out for?

Check body make sure no defect. Check LCD screen. Need to check for dead pixels?

Thanks. :)

Buying a new DSLR:

MAKE SURE that you ONLY do this checks if you already confirmed to the store keeper that you are buying this camera.

- Check the camera for any scratches or cracks or dings. (up to you really. I don't).

- Check if there are finger prints on the LCD. If there is, good chance this package has been opened and the camera handled before.

- Quick look on the lens. If there are finger prints on the glass. No need to check for dust in lens. Minute dust in lens will never show up in the pics anyway.

- Check the warranty card. Make sure it is a local set. Then check to make sure the serial number on the warranty card matches the camera serial number. Also check the lens serial number matches the warranty card as well. When you leave make sure you have a receipt. Remember to keep that receipt with the warranty card.

- Mount the lens. Insert the battery. Insert the freebie memory card. If no memory is given, bring your own SD card. Make sure the camera can turn on.

- Keeping the lens cap on, turn to M mode. Select a shutter speed like 1s. And any aperture. Take a picture. Look at the black picture on the LCD. Make sure there are no white spots (hot/dead pixel).

- Remove the lens cap. Switch to single point AF. Av mode. Take a picture with a acceptable shutter speed (adjust aperture and ISO to get a shutter speed above 1/60s). Make sure the point you focus is nice and sharp. Zoom into the picture on the LCD to make sure.

- Take a few more pictures if you fancy.

- Look at the quick start guide. Make sure everything the manual says is included in the package is included.

- Also check the freebies. Make sure all are there.

I think that about covers it all. I personally do not do all these checks in detail. Just a quick look will suffice. You are buying new after all.

Last edited:
Buying a new DSLR:

MAKE SURE that you ONLY do this checks if you already confirmed to the store keeper that you are buying this camera.

- Check the camera for any scratches or cracks or dings. (up to you really. I don't).

- Check if there are finger prints on the LCD. If there is, good chance this package has been opened and the camera handled before.

- Quick look on the lens. If there are finger prints on the glass. No need to check for dust in lens. Minute dust in lens will never show up in the pics anyway.

- Check the warranty card. Make sure it is a local set. Then check to make sure the serial number on the warranty card matches the camera serial number. Also check the lens serial number matches the warranty card as well. When you leave make sure you have a receipt. Remember to keep that receipt with the warranty card.

- Mount the lens. Insert the battery. Insert the freebie memory card. If no memory is given, bring your own SD card. Make sure the camera can turn on.

- Keeping the lens cap on, turn to M mode. Select a shutter speed like 1s. And any aperture. Take a picture. Look at the black picture on the LCD. Make sure there are no white spots (hot/dead pixel).

- Remove the lens cap. Switch to single point AF. Av mode. Take a picture with a acceptable shutter speed (adjust aperture and ISO to get a shutter speed above 1/60s). Make sure the point you focus is nice and sharp. Zoom into the picture on the LCD to make sure.

- Look at the quick start guide. Make sure everything the manual says is included in the package is included.

I think that about covers it all. I personally do not do all these checks in detail. Just a quick look will suffice. You are buying new after all.

:thumbsup: very detailed!

Buying a new DSLR:

This is a very detail guide for newbies like me! Thanks alot! :thumbsup:

Hi..

Btw for dead or bright pixels do they usually change for u even if there is one?

Hi..

Btw for dead or bright pixels do they usually change for u even if there is one?

I think warranty doesn't cover 1 or 2 dead pixel, which is why it's better to check before paying money. Once you pay money, it's a different story.

Greetings skyymanz,

Here's a shortcut method to test lens & sensor for defects. Set the camera to Aperture Mode (letter A on the top dial), set your F-stop to 22 (smallest aperture), point the camera at A PLAIN WHITE SURFACE and take a photo. Then examine the photo (remember to ZOOM IN and check carefully!) and check for any discolorations or blurry spots. Dust on the sensor, defects in the lens, dead pixels on the LCD will all show up.

Note this method is only recommended to only check for defects that will affect the photos you take. It does not cover all possible defects with the camera itself. For that I would recommend following the steps mentioned by daredevil123.

Hi thanks..

How to make sure its brand new? Box should be sealed?

Notice that u got a 50mm f/1.8.. Is the lens good? thinking of add it.. :D

Think thr is no seal on all brand new camera box. So mayb just ask for new one n check on any scratch not? 50mm f1.8 is real nice but if the object are too far will become soft focus n is really nice under low light situation. N after all its real cheap ^^

hey.. i am also thinking about buying the cannon 550D but i chance upon the 7D and like the grip and body a lot more on the 7D.. i am a first time DSLR buyer and was wondering if buying the 7D is an overkill for me.. Should i buy the 550D body and buy maybe better lens like the !8-85is usm? would appreciate any advise..thanks..