Buyers beware. I bought stolen goods from Clubsnap Classified

If you have specific access logs to her WTB threads or her profile ("Who has viewed my profile?" etc) you would likely have something. But you would need a confirmation of the (dynamic) IP address of the seller in order to find him in the logs if the seller never posted anything here.

The mods dun have that level of access. I think only our 3 Admins can. Which is why we need the original WTS thread. It is a normal process to archive such threads especially if it is a police case... Which is why we only delete spam threads on buy/sell and nothing else.

Well in the end, if what you bought is stolen goods, the police have the right to impound them and return to rightful owner. Doesn't matter if you paid good money or not. In the end, you have to recover your losses from the party that sold you the stolen goods.

That is true. If offer is too good better think twice.

Actually cheap does not always mean stolen. When I spring clean, I have let stuff go at very low prices at a 2nd hand shop. The better stuff were gone in a jiffy.

Having said that, I helped check a used camera for a friend that he bought at a good price. I noticed that the serial number was carefully (very neatly) scratched away. No bona fide owner in his right mind would purposely scratch away the serial number. Warned him that it may be a stolen good and the removal of serial number was to prevent visual physical check.

He went back to the place he bought it from and the shop keeper told him a tall story. The shop keeper said sometimes cameras are sent back to the manufacturer to recondition; and that after reconditioning, the manufacturer removes the original serial number.

Hmm... sounds fishy. Up to him to believe.

I got the serial number from a photo taken by the camera. It is in the EXIF. Easy to check.
Warned my friend that if he uploads any photo taken with that camera on the Internet with the full EXIF intact, and it was previously reported stolen, then it can be traced back to him. He did not feel comfortable using it. He went to China with 2 cameras and used the suspicious one for only 1 or 2 shots.

Last edited:
in hindsight there were plenty of other red flags which I should have taken note of

1) unable or unwilling to quote serial number of L lens it even lens code

2) no pics

3) flip flop on item ( initially with 24-105 then 17-40 )

4) flip flop on timing

in hindsight there were plenty of other red flags which I should have taken note of
1) unable or unwilling to quote serial number of L lens it even lens code
2) no pics
3) flip flop on item ( initially with 24-105 then 17-40 )
4) flip flop on timing
Don't smack yourself too hard, don't fall into matchmaking (afterwards the supposedly obvious becomes obvious). Imho, only #1 is really strange. Everything else can happen with any other seller as well, if the guys is a bit unsure about what to let go and what to keep. I hope and wish you get your money back. The rest is for the big record labelled 'life experience' :)

only one thing I hope is to either get my gear or my money , if really cannot then hope the bailiff seizes some of his stuff which hopefully includes a nice body. maybe a 70d perchance?

:bsmilie:

loss wise I am used to some capital risk do just take it in stride. angry also no use sad also no use frus also not use. all the negativity only get in the way of enjoying what other good stuff I have got going on in my life

only one thing I hope is to either get my gear or my money , if really cannot then hope the bailiff seizes some of his stuff which hopefully includes a nice body. maybe a 70d perchance?

loss wise I am used to some capital risk do just take it in stride. angry also no use sad also no use frus also not use. all the negativity only get in the way of enjoying what other good stuff I have got going on in my life

Sorry to hear about the trauma you've gone through.

Hope that you continue to enjoy photography the pleasure of which is worth much than $650 you may have lost.

Sorry to hear about the trauma you've gone through.

Hope that you continue to enjoy photography the pleasure of which is worth much than $650 you may have lost.

no trauma. heh.only very sian

What you can take comfort is many here in Kopitiam have great empathy with your misfortune.

many good fellows here. would anyone spare me a 60d to help me feel better?

No, but I think sion know a few places providing entertainment thats worth $650 :bsmilie:

A reminder... there is a rise of folks selling equipment they rented...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089402

It still makes me wonder why would one do that.... they have a copy of the IC details and is easily traceable by the police... almost an instant GG.

I have a spare 500D (the model you are using) :bsmilie:

How did the police discover that you bought the set? Was the seller arrested?

Sorry to hear about your case, TS. Anyhow, to make it more difficult for such people to be less anonymous when dealing with buy/sell, ask them to PM you instead of contacting via mobile.

Here's why:
People who want to deal with you have to register an account here.
This makes it easier for them to be tracked down with the help of admin and mods, rather than having to track down someone who could be using a prepaid line.
You will get to see the person's track record, if any. Members with "quality" posts (i.e. those who don't just rack up post counts by bumping their own sale threads) are likely to be more trustable.
It makes it easier for you to Google your potential buyer/seller first to see if they could be trouble. If you can't find any info about them at all, you should be on your guard as well.

Hope this helps! Cheers.

Last edited:
It still makes me wonder why would one do that.... they have a copy of the IC details and is easily traceable by the police... almost an instant GG.

When culprits are desperate for money to fulfill other urges (e.g. drugs, alcoholism, spending habit, gambling, etc) they are not rational.