Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

This thread reminds me of my second hand 430 EX II )..=, The seller state that the flash condition is 10 but after i reach home then i realize there are some scratch on the wireless and infra red screen. Should had done a serious checking during the meet out. Lucky, the flash are still working fine (=

He said that he shot for his church, etc... when I was checking the lens. I wonder which church promotes such dishonesty.

Bro...please avoid religious comments in our forum. Commenting about the dishonest person is one thing but to state his religious affiliation leaves an ugly aftertaste with all the honest folks out there. :cool:

another help friend to sell statement. buyer should have known better. who doesnt check when buying something. even if it is brand new people still check although it comes with a WHOLE year of warranty.

Yes, I should've done alot of things. :cry:

Thank you guys, I would go send the camera to CSC for a check. I am hoping at least the body is in good condition, now I can't even believe him when he mentioned that the shutter count is about 1000...... :dunno:

Felt really bad about being cheated yet have no one to blame but myself. But I do hope all the newbies or rather buyers be careful and learn from my silly and hopefully not too expensive experience. :embrass:

Let's not jump to any conclusion. For all we know, he might just be a trader. During his buying and selling, he might not even realise that the lens was infested with fungus. It all could be an honest mistake. However, having said this, the seller should have given a refund for the lens instead of looking the other way.

What I can say is that integrity of this guy is shot. If he does continue selling his items here, should we still buy from him? Personally, I would not so quickly say no.... if it's a great deal I might just grab it but I'll be super stringent on my checks.

The fact that he set his account to refuse all PM hints quite a lot already. ;)

And about his integrity? I don't think he even cares. He will just ignore the account and open a new one, once the heat gets too hot.

Guys...I think a lot has been said already. This will definitely not be the last "beware" post that I will come across in ClubSNAP. In the end it is commonsense to check for defects. TS didn't mention about defects and that's a good start. "Fungus" infestation shows that the owner didn't have a proper storage and it probably wasn't been used at least 2 to 3 months prior.

A good thing that there's no scratches on the lens surface (is there?) Now that the camera is already bought and paid for, the only logical thing is to send it to CSC for a thorough servicing/cleaning.

Hope this is a lesson learnt for all that we as buyers must be careful when buying 2nd hand goods. Let's go out and shoot more.:cool:

Guys...I think a lot has been said already. This will definitely not be the last "beware" post that I will come across in ClubSNAP. In the end it is commonsense to check for defects. TS didn't mention about defects and that's a good start. "Fungus" infestation shows that the owner didn't have a proper storage and it probably wasn't been used at least 2 to 3 months prior.

A good thing that there's no scratches on the lens surface (is there?) Now that the camera is already bought and paid for, the only logical thing is to send it to CSC for a thorough servicing/cleaning.

Hope this is a lesson learnt for all that we as buyers must be careful when buying 2nd hand goods. Let's go out and shoot more.:cool:

If I might add, please make a comparison on how much the quote will be to clean the lens. That lens is not worth much anyways. You can probably find another kit lens in BnS quite cheaply.

he can use another account to trade again . . . . think should report to the police for investigation . . .

Hope you keep his sms as well.

Learn and move on. You should be able to take action - but the legal costs wont make sense. I don't know if small tribunal court can help - check with them. This is what you need to do:

1) Print his advertisement from Clubsnap (including the bit about 1 month personal warranty)
2) keep all of his SMSes to you from his mobile number
3) Call up Small Tribunal Court to see who can get your issue resolved.

The fact that he positioned the item as mint and coming with a 1 month personal warranty - you can get him on that.

Report him to clubsnap mods and inform them not to take action - yet.

When you win you case - make sure you as for a public apology as well.

OR

You can try to forget about it and enjoy life/ photography etc.

There were many tell tale signs - helping a friend to sell is a major one - who would need his friend to sell a DSLR? It's basically his way out that the item is not his -

He said that he shot for his church, etc... when I was checking the lens. I wonder which church promotes such dishonesty.

Cheer up bro. Understand your feeling but it's not right to say such thing.
Generally speaking, there are dishonest people in every corner of this world.
As such, when buying, buyers must check the item carefully and do not read too much into promises such as "personal warranty for xxx..." as it means nothing if you are dealing with a dishonest seller.

If I might add, please make a comparison on how much the quote will be to clean the lens. That lens is not worth much anyways. You can probably find another kit lens in BnS quite cheaply.

Bro DD123...sometimes fungus on lens may only affect the outer element. Lets keep your fingers crossed. TS got to make an objective decision based on the assessment otherwise if the cleaning cost is not justifiable then TS got to write it off. There's nothing much any of us can do at this juncture.:cool:

Learn and move on. You should be able to take action - but the legal costs wont make sense. I don't know if small tribunal court can help - check with them. This is what you need to do:

1) Print his advertisement from Clubsnap (including the bit about 1 month personal warranty)
2) keep all of his SMSes to you from his mobile number
3) Call up Small Tribunal Court to see who can get your issue resolved.

The fact that he positioned the item as mint and coming with a 1 month personal warranty - you can get him on that.

Report him to clubsnap mods and inform them not to take action - yet.

When you win you case - make sure you as for a public apology as well.

OR

You can try to forget about it and enjoy life/ photography etc.

There were many tell tale signs - helping a friend to sell is a major one - who would need his friend to sell a DSLR? It's basically his way out that the item is not his -

Dream on Bro. Face the realty that there will always be a noob being cheated. In this forum, I have come across it so often until it becomes passe. Why they never read the post here first and do the research first before purchasing? Why only post a beware post after being cheated? To educate us? I don't know whether it's effective cos this is the umpteen beware post already. :cool:

Bro DD123...sometimes fungus on lens may only affect the outer element. Lets keep your fingers crossed. TS got to make an objective decision based on the assessment otherwise if the cleaning cost is not justifiable then TS got to write it off. There's nothing much any of us can do at this juncture.:cool:

Yup. my point exactly bro.

Well, as a person who used to buy PC components from online forum, i think the best is that both parties do the necessary checks before the transaction. We always have the perception that seller will be the one out to cheat, but what if the buyer mishandled the items after purchase and wanted to get refunded?

Best is, for buyer to do thorough check m and seller to ensure the buyer to do the checks.

With this, no one can complained of anything. :)

i think the best advice i got before was:

always bring a friend who is more knowledgeable to deal ;)