Buyer ask for full refund after buying from me 3 weeks ago. Opinion needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arilhasan

Jul 16, 2010
Hi fellow CS members,

On the 21/12/2011, I sold my 60D with 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM lens and 50mm f1.8 lens to a CS forumer. The buyer even asked me whether I stole this set or the set was genuinely mine, I was shocked since it was the first time ever I came across a buyer that asked me that type of question. As a proof that the camera was mine, I showed both my ID and the warranty cards were tallied.

All the equipments were tested and checked by the buyer. Buyer decided to buy from me after much checking and testing the equipments for $1500.

Later that night, I received a sms from buyer stating that there's some scratches on rear elements of both lens. I asked him how bad was it, he replied only minor scratches.

On the 12/01/2012, he sms me that the 17-85mm lens had a broken ribbon cable which leads to the diaphragm blades not able to move and he want a full refund and return the camera and sets to me. It's impossible that the lens has broken ribbon cable because when he checked and tested the lens during the deal no problem was found.

When I used the camera with the 17-85mm lens no such problem occurred to me. I also found out that the buyer may be trying to sell away the 17-85 lens he bought from me stating that the lens is in good condition. The funny thing is he sms today stating that he will keep the 50mm lens and returned back the camera and 17-85mm lens to me for a refund. I find it fishy why would he want to return the camera body too.

He have been using the camera for 3 weeks and he's expecting a full refund. The camera and 50mm lens warranties ends on 24/04/12 and 14/08/2012. No warranties for the 17-85mm lens. The camera shutter counts is less than 10k.

I have sold a DSLR body and a few lens before so far I got no problem with other buyers. I need your opinion guys! May I know what can cause a broken ribbon cable in a lens?

Thanks!

Sounds to me like he's trying to be funny.

I would not refund him. Too many weird things going on.

there's nothing to talk.. caveat emptor. Once the buyer and seller walk away after deal is done. That's it. There's no looking back. Buyer has all the time in the world at point of sale to test and re-test. But once he agrees and walks away with deal done, that's it. There's no turning back.

Tell your buyer this is the universal rule for all transactions done through private sales.

Don't entertain his request. If he gives further trouble, post his nick and number here.

tell him no go and fat hope. if he wishes to present his side of the story ask him to post here.

did you state in your ad that there will be a personal warranty of some sort? if not then he has no claim as it is 2nd hand items, test at point of sale, if not happy he has the option to walk away.

on the other side (and i'm not accusing you in any way), was there was a history of problem with the lens' ribbon cable before but did not mention to him? (again, i'm NOT saying that's the case here).

did you sell to someone from this forum? maybe ask him to post his version of the story ?

you don't owe him the refund.
He checked the item upon the deal, and everything was working fine
After 3 weeks of usage, anything could had happened.
He could had scratched the lens himself, drop the lens causing the ribbon to be broken. or it could just be wear and tear (this is the risk of buying 2nd hand item, that the buyer have to bare with)

if u did not offer personal warranty more than 3wk then dun bother about him .. he is just trying to be funny .. beside it could be his fault that cause the problem.

Well you can tell him, if you go to a camera shop and purchase a camera, 3 weeks later something wrong with the lens or body, then ask him go back to the shop and ask for refund, see what the shop will tell him, and that's your answer to him also. Haha

And if he wanted a full refund, why would he want to keep the 50mm also? Funny

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will offer a 3wks personal warranty as many things can happen during the 3 wks. I'd say ignore him. And to be fair... you might wanna get him here to present his side of the story

virtualme78 said:
I don't think anyone will offer a 3wks personal warranty as many things can happen during the 3 wks. I'd say ignore him. And to be fair... you might wanna get him here to present his side of the story

I've seen those give 1mth personnal warranty before haha, but don't know if seller will honour after the sales, haha

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
Sounds to me like he's trying to be funny.

I would not refund him. Too many weird things going on.

I agree.. He's held on to it for too long and many things could have happened during this 3 weeks. He might have dropped on the floor or into the toilet bowl, scratched it while cleaning himself or he simply regretted buying this n wants another model now.

If you didn't promise personal warranty, just firmly reject n remind him that he tested it himself.

If he wants to post here, we can listen (or read to be precise) his story..

did you state in your ad that there will be a personal warranty of some sort? if not then he has no claim as it is 2nd hand items, test at point of sale, if not happy he has the option to walk away.

on the other side (and i'm not accusing you in any way), was there was a history of problem with the lens' ribbon cable before but did not mention to him? (again, i'm NOT saying that's the case here).

I never state any personal warranty for the 17-85mm lens but i had told him that the lens was bought 2nd hand from my friend. When I used the lens i have no problems with the lens and i used it less than 10 times. Actually I don't mind refunding him if the problem occurred less than a week he bought from me. The weird thing is he wants to keep the 50mm lens only and return the body to me.

I just found out that the 17-85mm lens has a serious manufacturing fault when i google it. I have sms that guy i brought this matter up here so it's up to him to share his side of the story. I'm no angel but I have always been honest in dealing with other cs members. And I feel insulted when he asked me whether the camera is a stolen goods.

Thanks guy for the reply!

Last edited:
arilhasan said:
I never state any personal warranty for the 17-85mm lens but i had told him that the lens was bought 2nd hand from my friend. When I used the lens i have no problems with the lens and i used it less than 10 times. Actually I don't mind refunding him if the problem occurred less than a week he bought from me. The weird thing is he wants to keep the 50mm lens only and return the body to me.

I just found out that the 17-85mm lens has a serious manufacturing fault when i google it. I have sms that guy i brought this matter up here so it's up to him to share his side of the story. I'm no angel but I have always been honest in dealing with other cs forumer. And I feel insulted when he asked me whether the camera is a stolen goods.

Thanks guy for the reply!

If you didnt promise any warranty and to the best of ur knowledge (at least at the time of sale) there are no issues with the items (i.e didnt withold relevant info) then just tell him the deal is final when item n cash were exchanged. And its good that u told him abt this thread, so he can also present his side.

Refund?

U offer him $700 back....

If not, tell him to get lost......

Do the right thing. Stop entertaining his SMS and give him the link to this post. Ask him to post his side of the story here.

Personally I won't be bothered at all when my buyer ask for refund if I did not commit in any form of personal warranty.

Many things can happen in 3 weeks. Not 3 hours or 3 days. Perhaps the buyer dropped the equipment and claimed that it's your fault. If possible, let him share his story here. I doubt he will do so. If you asked me what I would do, I will not give him any refund since he checked on his own before making the payment, not like eBay where the seller can make false description on the products or equipments. In my opinion, this buyer is trying to push the fault to you when in the first place, it is his fault.

Just sharing what I am thinking. Cheers! :D

Might as well as people hey you went prison before is it? You ex-con right? Why selling camera?

What a nonsense guy!

Don't entertain him.

Just received the sms from the buyer stated he felt that he is not treated fairly and the ribbon problem only hit below f4 at manual.

Last edited:
arilhasan said:
Just received the sms from the buyer stated he felt that he is not treated fairly and the ribbon problem only hit below f4 at manual.

Just ignore him, like others said, many thing can happened in 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.