Buy Used or Buy New (experience)

tanpaio

Nov 9, 2013
Singapore
Buyers should do their due diligent in making sure they are getting a reasonable deal from 2nd hand item sellers. It is reasonable for a buyer to pay 25% - 30% off shops retail price for a latest model and 50% or more off for an out of date model. It is common for a seller to believe that it is fair to offer a small percentage or small amount off the price he bought because it was only used a few times or not even opened as they made a wrong purchase. But have they thought of it themselves, if they were the buyer, will they consider going through all the troubles of finding a used item just to save a small percentage and helping the seller get rid of his unwanted items which he refuses to take a lost.

Of course there are a small number of buyers who will measure the benefits in terms of dollars instead of percentage. So a $50 discount on used set for a $1000 retail item may look attractive to them. Especially for school students who will measure a $50 saving with the amount of things he can do with it such as having a few fast food meals, a movie show and a week worth of transport fare. It may be better to go buy brand new from a retailer if it does not take you too long to save up another $50. You get the customer service, full warranty and they see you as a VIP the next time you step into their shop.

I nearly made a mistake by assuming the 2nd hand market is always much cheaper when I started looking for some photo equipments. I did not bother to check the brand new retail price. I went to some 2nd hand shop and as I was about to purchase a used Nikon 300mm f4d (condition 7 out of 10) for $1500, I made a very lucky decision to check the retail price of a new set on my phone. I was feeling so happy to see how much have I saved from buying 2nd hand, but was shocked to see a local on-line store selling it brand new at $1400 with in house warranty.

Buyers who try to offer ridiculous low price are non serious buyers and they are wasting other people’s time. We call them "low ballers" and I like this nick name given to this sort of people.

Have we got a name for sellers who try to sell at ridiculous high price? Not willing to take a more reasonable lost for their used items. These are non-genuine sellers who are just hoping for a gullible buyer or some one who is so desperate to buy something but simply short of $200 to purchase a brand new $3000 item.

Buyers need not have to feel sorry or try reasoning with these sellers. It is human nature for some cash-rich sellers hanging on to their pride and refusing to take loses. Knowing that the item is of no use to them any longer but will just stubbornly hang on to a high asking price only to realise many years later that the item is obsolete, ceased to function properly and than they will happily throw it into the dustbin. These are some cash-rich sellers who feel good that no one has benefited from the product including them. Well...they feel good at least they uphold their pride.

Please do not believe anyone who tells you that the value of some lens hardly depreciates and will retain its value even after many years because manufacturers do not update lens model frequently. Therefore it’s reasonable for them to sell it to you at just a small percentage off what they bought and making you believe that you would be able to sell it out next time at the same price at no lost. In reality most of such items do not get sold. It is true that manufactures do not update lens model frequently and retail prices of lens are stable. In this case there is no point buying a used set at just e.g. 5% - 15% off. Actually helping the seller getting rid of his "unwanted junk" at minimal lost on his side in exchange for an unfair amount of benefit in terms of savings on your side.

Do yourself a favour by saving another month if you need to, and go buy a brand new set. Buyers often regret one month later after a 2nd hand purchase as they simply realised that they could have waited 30 more days just to get a completely brand new set which cost a little more and enjoy all the benefits and experience of purchasing a brand new item. Not to mention the disgusted feeling of helping someone else clear their "unwanted junk".

Welcome to ClubSNAP and your first posting here, thank you for sharing your experience.

While the cost/value evaluation differs from buyer to buyer, the common law maxim caveat emptor nevertheless still applies. There is an obligation upon the buyer to do the necessary homework and inspection of item.

That is of course not an encouragement for sellers to engage in fradulent business practices. .

Ryan

Calling 2nd hand items "unwanted junk" (even with the inverted commas) is a bit too much. Many items are still in good conditions and selling them offers other people with lower budgets the possibility to get such an item for a lower price - and it stretches the time till the item hits the landfill.
Also, the first and last paragraph seem to be a contradiction. Initially you state that 2nd hand items should be significantly cheaper than a new one (25-30% off for brand new, 50% off for older models), later you ask buyers to wait 30 days to save the "little bit more" to get a new one. Depending on the value and the buyers budget, 30% can be much more than just a little bit ..
What is new?

What a long write-up.. You can write what you want, but as long as there are people willing to accept the 5-10% off price, there will be people who will try to sell at 5-10% off Brand New set price. Usually you can wait for a while, if the seller can't get rid of item at his unreasonable asking price he will drop it. Many of them are just trying their luck to see if got any carrot head who is trigger-happy and will buy at their price.

FYI, in-house warranty is frowned upon by many, as it has its own risks. It is much more unlikely for the camera manufacturers to close shop, and making use of the in-house warranty can be quite a hassle with long waiting times since the shop has to ship it back to origin. In-house warranty is done for "grey" goods. Some people (not me) find it a huge minus point and swear never to touch "grey" goods. Just pointing this out as not sure if your $1500 example from second-hand shop is a fair comparison. Do also take note that some second-hand shops are there to chop carrot and will try to rip off hapless consumers as well.

At the end of the day, the same key rules apply when it comes to any second-hand market and whether you choose to dabble in it (and to some extent, the first-hand market as well):

1) Buyer Beware, or Caveat Emptor - if you can't be bothered to do some homework don't expect everyone to babysit you - always do it yourself as you are an adult; you can make noise afterwards but you live with your decision, as there is no remedy sometimes, like it or not.

2) If you can't tolerate risk, then go for first-hand, and make sure you take steps to cover your arse. If you can't tolerate risk and don't want to do anything about it then no point crying over spilt milk later on since your actions don't match your desires.

Cheers.

Speaking of not being able to tolerate risk, i put up my UWA lens for sale and a user expressed interest.

Although pictures of said lens was posted for all to see, said user asked me several times over SMS if the lens is really in good condition etc despite my reassurances and an offer to have a no obligation view and test.

Instead he kept asking over SMS AND kept harassing for a lower price (not quite a low ball price but definitely not a fair price).

And when I told the prospective buyer that it's better to view and decide for him/herself rather than waste time on SMS, his defense was it's not a waste of time cos he wants to make sure lens is really in good condition. I find that strange that one would rather seek "assurances" over SMS than looking, testing and inspecting the actual thing.

Anyway, I sold it off to another person who does not waste so much time over SMS. I got no problem with those who take their time to inspect the goods. In fact, I think that's a necessity for high expenditure items like lenses. But to ask over SMS? Sheesh, sounds like a waste of time to me.

So end of the day, you can decide if the savings is worth it. To TS, I am not sure what the purpose of your thread is. It's a known fact that there are people who like to sell things at close to the price they paid and there are those who don't mind selling at a lower price.

I hope you can have the basic courtesy to not call 2nd hand goods as unwanted junk because you have effectively insulted a fair number of sellers and buyers on CS with that post and worst still, this being your very first post on CS.

Or did you make an offer on an item and was flatly refused by the buyer that irked you enough to start this post? There is a choice to buy at whatever price point you are willing to pay. Just sayin'

Speaking of not being able to tolerate risk, i put up my UWA lens for sale and a user expressed interest.

Although pictures of said lens was posted for all to see, said user asked me several times over SMS if the lens is really in good condition etc despite my reassurances and an offer to have a no obligation view and test.

Instead he kept asking over SMS AND kept harassing for a lower price (not quite a low ball price but definitely not a fair price).

Should just stop replying him after some time. :bsmilie:

Should just stop replying him after some time. :bsmilie:

Oh I did. After the 3rd time he asked I told him, unless he is prepared to set up a time and place to view and deal, don't waste time sending me any more SMS. There was silence for a day or so, in which time i sold the lens to a nice gentleman here. Then the time waster sent me an SMS to ask when can I meet to deal. Told him the lens was sold.

I suspect this fella just wants to ask for the sake of asking. He offered a reason for his obsession with wanting the lens to be in as good a condition as possible even though I never asked. Claims it's to be given as a gift. Me thinks he plans to resell it.

I did encounter a person love to SMS and asked a lot of question including if receipt and box were available, if you are the first owner and the questions never end. His behavior just like he was going to buy a apartment or a car which was a big investment for him.

I did encounter a person love to SMS and asked a lot of question including if receipt and box were available, if you are the first owner and the questions never end. His behavior just like he was going to buy a apartment or a car which was a big investment for him.

HAHAHAHA. Almost the same experience as me! I wonder if it's the same fella. Annoying to the max!

LOL. I experienced the same incident too. The person keep asking the same questions over and over again via SMS, its v annoying...

HAHAHAHA. Almost the same experience as me! I wonder if it's the same fella. Annoying to the max!

LOL. I experienced the same incident too. The person keep asking the same questions over and over again via SMS, its v annoying...

Must be the same person, maybe we are the only person reply to his sms. Suddenly I find the need to exchange his phone number with other victims.

Thanks for sharing & taking the effort the do and dos for B n S here in general but hmm.... calling pre-loved equipment 'unwanted junk' is pretty extreme.

While I do admit that there are sellers here who 'unwittingly' price used items sometimes even above market prices , it is a Buyer agrees to buy + Seller agrees to sell = deal done here and end of the day, what I must emphasize is that as a buyer, one should practice due diligence in checking the equipment and of course, do a comparison coming to prices.

About lowballers , haha - they are one of the most irritating people here but oh well, who can blame them for trying their luck? Hence i always find it reasonable for buyers to state that : 'lowballers will be politely ignored'.

its all part and parcel of dealing here. Just apply common sense when dealing. If someone offers a A7 full box at $888, i definitely wouldn't wana touch it.

well, we can't judge. Maybe it was really a big investment for him ;)
I've even encountered buyers who inquire about the condition of the box till e point where r there any scratches or deep bends on it. Power max.

well, we can't judge. Maybe it was really a big investment for him ;) I've even encountered buyers who inquire about the condition of the box till e point where r there any scratches or deep bends on it. Power max.

Yours ultimate power to the max! LOL.

Ok I did a bit of background search on that fella's posts again after he kept bugging me with questions. And I won't say it was a big investment for him. More like someone likely planning on reselling it elsewhere, probably not locally.

Thanks for sharing & taking the effort the do and dos for B n S here in general but hmm.... calling pre-loved equipment 'unwanted junk' is pretty extreme.

While I do admit that there are sellers here who 'unwittingly' price used items sometimes even above market prices , it is a Buyer agrees to buy + Seller agrees to sell = deal done here and end of the day, what I must emphasize is that as a buyer, one should practice due diligence in checking the equipment and of course, do a comparison coming to prices.

About lowballers , haha - they are one of the most irritating people here but oh well, who can blame them for trying their luck? Hence i always find it reasonable for buyers to state that : 'lowballers will be politely ignored'.

its all part and parcel of dealing here. Just apply common sense when dealing. If someone offers a A7 full box at $888, i definitely wouldn't wana touch it.

hi,.. unwanted junk in inverted commas is not to be taken literally...

No it's not hence the inverted commas but it does have a negative connotation to it, that you cannot deny.

Many buyer and seller in bns are "margin trader" with many nick names.
They post a low low selling price just to set a new historical low price in bns to give the real seller some pressure so that they can buy at a slightly higher price from them.
Then when they want to sell off the particular model, they will post many other historical high price, then they sold off as slightly lower price.
Clever.
The risk is that this strategic does not always work when there is hardly any real buyer in this economy condition.

Could it be the same SMS sent multiple times? I encounter this occasionally, getting one SMS up to 5 times.

Sellers will try to sell high and Buyers will try to buy low as a general rule. :)

I think potential buyers should only buy when you need that item instead of impulse buy because it is cheap and accept the risk of buying a used item regardless the condition is 10.

Just my opinion.