Buy Used or Buy New (experience)

Many buyer and seller in bns are "margin trader" with many nick names. They post a low low selling price just to set a new historical low price in bns to give the real seller some pressure so that they can buy at a slightly higher price from them. Then when they want to sell off the particular model, they will post many other historical high price, then they sold off as slightly lower price. Clever. The risk is that this strategic does not always work when there is hardly any real buyer in this economy condition.

Woah , make it so complicated. I think buyers & sellers will always do a search for typical prices la. If u don't have such a habit, it's time to start.

Once in a while , u do see a out of norm low price but well , that's once in a while and if anyway it's a ruse, nothing's sold and the world still goes on.

hi everyone, thanks for feedbacks..
unwanted junk in inverted commas is not to be taken literally...
Not an interpretation that your items are useless unworthy rubbish,
but in this context it's a description against unscrupulous sellers for their items which they do not want it because they are no longer in need of it and it's taking up their precious space.

I agree this is a free market with willing buyers and willing sellers. Sellers have the rights to quote any sort of price for their items. If a buyer have done his homework and for some reasons really decide that a certain amount of dollar saved is a good deal despite only a small percentage off, than he has his reasons and I respect the decision.

But to some other buyers who might later regret because they did not do their homework and begin to feel that it is not a good deal,
Here is where I hope this post will reach out to them before they make a purchase.

There are two main reasons for you to be looking into the 2nd hand market. It's either because of budget or the item is out of stock. Keep reminding yourself the reason you are looking into the 2nd hand market. If you are in because of budget, do take a step back and reconsider when the price does not meet your initial budget and you may realise there are other better choices. And of course if you are in for a high demand item that is out of stock, that may justify you paying double if you are prepared for it.

I agree that the valuation of used goods varies between different people.
The suggested percentage off for used items stated in the post is derive from observations in the buy & sell section where most items with a 25% or more discount are quickly snapped up. whereas items with less than 20% often remains unsold. This is worth an indication that more people sees an average of 25% off as an attractive offer. For genuine sellers who are wondering why their highly rated item could not find a buyer, than these numbers may be worth taking a look.

The post is not meant to target any genuine sellers or buyers. It's posted with good intention to aware more buyers to do a bit of homework, gather more quotes and decide for themselves which is the best deal.

hi everyone, thanks for feedbacks.. unwanted junk in inverted commas is not to be taken literally... Not an interpretation that your items are useless unworthy rubbish, but in this context it's a description against unscrupulous sellers for their items which they do not want it because they are no longer in need of it and it's taking up their precious space. I agree this is a free market with willing buyers and willing sellers. Sellers have the rights to quote any sort of price for their items. If a buyer have done his homework and for some reasons really decide that a certain amount of dollar saved is a good deal despite only a small percentage off, than he has his reasons and I respect the decision. But to some other buyers who might later regret because they did not do their homework and begin to feel that it is not a good deal, Here is where I hope this post will reach out to them before they make a purchase. There are two main reasons for you to be looking into the 2nd hand market. It's either because of budget or the item is out of stock. Keep reminding yourself the reason you are looking into the 2nd hand market. If you are in because of budget, do take a step back and reconsider when the price does not meet your initial budget and you may realise there are other better choices. And of course if you are in for a high demand item that is out of stock, that may justify you paying double if you are prepared for it. I agree that the valuation of used goods varies between different people. The suggested percentage off for used items stated in the post is derive from observations in the buy & sell section where most items with a 25% or more discount are quickly snapped up. whereas items with less than 20% often remains unsold. This is worth an indication that more people sees an average of 25% off as an attractive offer. For genuine sellers who are wondering why their highly rated item could not find a buyer, than these numbers may be worth taking a look. The post is not meant to target any genuine sellers or buyers. It's posted with good intention to aware more buyers to do a bit of homework, gather more quotes and decide for themselves which is the best deal.

Good points there. Thank you for clarifying your stand. My apologies if my lack of understanding towards your initial post was a little offensive :)

hi everyone, thanks for feedbacks..
unwanted junk in inverted commas is not to be taken literally...
Not an interpretation that your items are useless unworthy rubbish,
but in this context it's a description against unscrupulous sellers for their items which they do not want it because they are no longer in need of it and it's taking up their precious space.

.... ....

The post is not meant to target any genuine sellers or buyers. It's posted with good intention to aware more buyers to do a bit of homework, gather more quotes and decide for themselves which is the best deal.

noted :) Welcome to clubsnap and thanks for sharing !

Just my personal opinion.

I would choose to get brand new for sure.
But sometimes, I may have budget limitation and I have no choice to go for 2nd hand.

Before getting the 2nd hand, I need to make sure and ensure the equipment is not spoil or whatever.
Also, I always require seller to have personal warrantee.

Also, I always require seller to have personal warrantee.
Which is as good as nothing. Unless you write it down, sign both and get the sellers particulars it's nothing but word against word, open for (costly) interpretations.
What warranty do you expect? Repair for free? Money back? There were a few people in BnS offering personal warranty (= money back, reversing the deal), but after some jokers took this too literally and didn't check the items properly (or did other funky stuffs) not many will take the risk and trouble. Personal warranty only works if there is integrity on both sides.
I'd rather trust recommendations from friends or many customers.