Buy SLR or DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReSpawN

Jun 15, 2004
Tam pines
I'm into photgraphy for a few years only, and only till recently i have the time to take up some courses on Photography. I'm currently using a Canon 100 and thinking of buying a EOS3 or 10D and a few good lenses as my passion grows.

I really like the "real" colours from slide films when i take during the course, but i know the convenience of DSLR...so i in a bit of dilemma ;p I'm into portraits and weding photography.

Do you all think I should get a SLR or DSLR? :think:

Guess the cost of an EOS3 and 10D is thereabouts?

If so, perhaps you can opt for digital and still use your 100 to shoot slides.

ReSpawN said:
I'm into photgraphy for a few years only, and only till recently i have the time to take up some courses on Photography. I'm currently using a Canon 100 and thinking of buying a EOS3 or 10D and a few good lenses as my passion grows.

I really like the "real" colours from slide films when i take during the course, but i know the convenience of DSLR...so i in a bit of dilemma ;p I'm into portraits and weding photography.

Do you all think I should get a SLR or DSLR? :think:

if you are doing wedding i suggest you get both cams, i think its important to have at least two bodies when doing events cos you know anything can happen.

wait for a 10D replacement and when everyone is 'dumping' their 10D for the latest model to get your DSLR. Get the Eos3 or 30V (if it better suits you) for now, sell your eos100 or keep it for a third backup.

take the dslr.

u can start by buying used d30. very cheap nowadays.

or u can wait until end of this year also can.

either way u wun go wrong

there have been so many qn and discussion about buying D or not D.

probably a more suitable anwser is - if u are non-D, go buy a D and stop asking which is better...if u r a already D, eventually u might well go get a non-D as u become more serious.

so....let's no ask further, just buybuybuybuybuybuybuybuy. :blah:

Kit said:
The different in price is about 1k.

Yep...the price of Eos3 is abt $1.5-$1.8k (asked MS liao...but forgot ;p )
but the price of 10D is $2.9k++ with grip.
So it's around $1k +....can buy a CF tripod + Ultimate Head :bsmilie:

espn said:
Guess the cost of an EOS3 and 10D is thereabouts?

If so, perhaps you can opt for digital and still use your 100 to shoot slides.

I like to shoot slides and will most probably keep my old EOS100....Digital wise, maybe see what Canon has come out in the Sept Photokina .

Belle&Sebastain said:
if you are doing wedding i suggest you get both cams, i think its important to have at least two bodies when doing events cos you know anything can happen.

wait for a 10D replacement and when everyone is 'dumping' their 10D for the latest model to get your DSLR. Get the Eos3 or 30V (if it better suits you) for now, sell your eos100 or keep it for a third backup.

Think will get a EOS3 and my EOS100 keep as a backup....and look at Digital after that. Thanks Belle&Sebastain :)

Buy what you feel you want and not what others tell you to.

megaweb said:
get a used DSLR :)

Have seen the prices of some used DSLR...but come to think of it...would rather buy a new one .Thanks for the suggestion :)

ReSpawN said:
Have seen the prices of some used DSLR...but come to think of it...would rather buy a new one .Thanks for the suggestion :)

i prefer a used set anyway, to each its own, a used eos3 can be had about $900++ - 1.2k with vertical grip whereabouts.

boochap said:
so....let's no ask further, just buybuybuybuybuybuybuybuy. :blah:

savesavesave

Belle&Sebastain said:
i prefer a used set anyway, to each its own, a used eos3 can be had about $900++ - 1.2k with vertical grip whereabouts.

Juz curious...y u prefer a used set? Is it bcos it has been tested? :think:

ReSpawN said:

In CS buy sell, 2nd hand EOS3 + PBE2 is selling at around S$1.2k. New set will cost you around S$2k. So, you save S$800. That's a lot of $$$ and for a professional body like EOS 3 and PBE2, chances of hardware failure is not high. However, check carefully when buying.

If I am doing wedding and event frequently, then I will get a DSLR. You don't shoot slide for wedding or event, so a simple SLR (film) will do (camera is just a black box...true for film SLR). Buy a good DSLR and use it to generate $$$. Most people prefer digital nowadays (especially those who know nothing about photography...you tell them, I use digital...then they will say...WOW...PROFESSIONAL! Can view immediately!).

To please yourself, buy EOS3.

To please your clients, get a DSLR.

i try to get very clean good condition 2nd hand bodies and lenses, like what Kho King said, you save alot, do not buy from hard used professional thou. Once you see their lenses, you thought that they use it to dig dirt, same for the body, you think the body had no markings at all :bsmilie: .

i bought a 2nd hand less than 1 week old 10D for $2400 abt 10 months ago save $350, its almost new, unused.

ReSpawN said:
If you regret bought the used set, you can sell it at the same price :)

Kho King said:
In CS buy sell, 2nd hand EOS3 + PBE2 is selling at around S$1.2k. New set will cost you around S$2k. So, you save S$800. That's a lot of $$$ and for a professional body like EOS 3 and PBE2, chances of hardware failure is not high. However, check carefully when buying.

If I am doing wedding and event frequently, then I will get a DSLR. You don't shoot slide for wedding or event, so a simple SLR (film) will do (camera is just a black box...true for film SLR). Buy a good DSLR and use it to generate $$$. Most people prefer digital nowadays (especially those who know nothing about photography...you tell them, I use digital...then they will say...WOW...PROFESSIONAL! Can view immediately!).

To please yourself, buy EOS3.

To please your clients, get a DSLR.

May i know what to look out for in a 2nd hand SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.