Buy or not buy

evaeva

Feb 7, 2010
Hi all

Need you advice. I own a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8. I am going for a 3-week holiday in the States. i thought of buying another lens for the trip. ie Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5. is it advisable to do so ???

Hi all

Need you advice. I own a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8. I am going for a 3-week holiday in the States. i thought of buying another lens for the trip. ie Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5. is it advisable to do so ???

Up to you if you think you need the extra "zoom". Also depends on where in the USA you are going to, what you plan on shooting, etc etc. I would use very different lenses for a trip to new York than to Colorado for example.

The Tamron is a multi-purpose lens, that fits 18-270mm into one. If you like such convenience, then buy it.

After the trip, u will end up with a duplication at the 18-50mm end. Why not get a decent dedicated telephoto 70-200 instead? It may be a bit more hassle carrying two lenses and changing lenses though, but at least IQ is more decent than a all-round travel lens like the 18-270.

Last edited:
Hi All

Thanks for the valuable replies. I will be visiting quite a few national parks in the US. I will be visiting New York too. I was thinking about the 70-200 too. Have to weigh the price, the hassle of carrying etc thanks!!!

If you're a nikon user consider the 70-300 vr. It's relatively light weight and does the job well at a decent price close to the 18-270 vc.

If you're a nikon user consider the 70-300 vr. It's relatively light weight and does the job well at a decent price close to the 18-270 vc.

Hi

I am a Canon user. After much consideration, I bought the Canon 70-300mm EF F/4.5-5.6 IS USM.

Hi all

Chances are...you will use your 17-50/2.8 most of the time...

I wouldn't advise getting a particular lens just for the trip, it may end up being a white elephant after the the trip. If you really must, then get something that will be useful to you even when the trip is over.

cheers

Hi

I am a Canon user. After much consideration, I bought the Canon 70-300mm EF F/4.5-5.6 IS USM.

Congrats! Enjoy shooting!