Buy Oly 4/3 lens on M43 camera, can I use the 4/3 convertor on m4/3 also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchengws

Oct 26, 2009
Red Dot Island
Dear CS experts,

I have another question again. If I buy the Oly 4/3 say 14-52mm f 2.8 lens. i understand this is a higher grade lens, so i can use it as walk about lens. It would be good if I can add the 2X convertor and make it to 24 - 104 mm lens on my E-P1. Does it works or the 4/3 convertor only works on 4/3 camera?

Never thought about this but your conversion a bit weird... You do know that there is a X2 conversion into 35mm format right? and I believe the lens you're talking about is 14-54mm f2.8-3.5? If so, on its own, it would be equal to 28-108mm lens, if you a a 2X teleconverter, it would become a 28-108 on 4/3s and 56-216mm lens in 35mm, isn't that a little bit long for walk about? Plus quality is diminished though minimized by the quality of the teleconverter, but wouldn't it be better to just take a 40-150 with you? Not really sure if it works but theoretically it should work I guess

Lens in question : 14-54mm Mk I or Mk II f2.8-3.5
(in 135 format, you are getting a 28-108mm f2.8-3.5 lens already)

EC20 (2 x converter) intended to be used with this. THROUGH an adapter.

With the EC20 mounted, your 14-54mm lens becomes:

28-108mm f5.6 lens (you lose two stops of light with the EC20)
(in 135 format, you now have a 56-216mm lens as mentioned by spidey)

Why would you want to spend so much money on a HG lens and degrade the image quality with a teleconverter? Don't make sense. Better to buy a 14-54mm MkII and a 40-150mm as mentioned by Spidey. Not only cheaper but better image quality.

Hope this helps.

This is with the follow up whether I should switch camp or not after getting the blur result from 45-200mm lens. Although I understand it could be I turn on both in-camera IS and stabliliser on the lens instead of more sharp image turn out blur.

I read about good valuation about the latest 4/3 14-54mm f2.8 lens is a high grade CDAF lens, plus 4/3 lens can use on M43 therefore it may be safer for me to go for 4/3 lens rather to buy another m43 45-150 lens that is not as good as this 14-54mm f2.8 lens. The 2X convertor is just see whether it is workable if i carry a 2x convertor rather than a 45-200mm tele-zoom lens.

Since i touch on this what if i buy a Oly 4/3 50mm macro lens and with theory add the 2x convertor will give me 100mm macro lens with 2 stop down?

other than 2 stop down will it affect the picture quality?

This is with the follow up whether I should switch camp or not after getting the blur result from 45-200mm lens. Although I understand it could be I turn on both in-camera IS and stabliliser on the lens instead of more sharp image turn out blur.

I read about good valuation about the latest 4/3 14-54mm f2.8 lens is a high grade CDAF lens, plus 4/3 lens can use on M43 therefore it may be safer for me to go for 4/3 lens rather to buy another m43 45-150 lens that is not as good as this 14-54mm f2.8 lens. The 2X convertor is just see whether it is workable if i carry a 2x convertor rather than a 45-200mm tele-zoom lens.

Since i touch on this what if i buy a Oly 4/3 50mm macro lens and with theory add the 2x convertor will give me 100mm macro lens with 2 stop down?

other than 2 stop down will it affect the picture quality?

teleconvertor will always affect image quality, even with high quality teleconvertor, the focusing is super slow so its not something really recommended

teleconvertor will always affect image quality, even with high quality teleconvertor, the focusing is super slow so its not something really recommended

I concur. :thumbsup:

OK points taken, one option down. Not to confuse the topics i shall fist close this thread then raise another one.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.