buy new dslr

firework

Jun 9, 2009
hi,anyone can recommend me a dslr camera?
i am newbie here...budget 5k....
what brand and model are good?

Not enough to buy the best body (imo), but just enough to get a decent combo: D700 + Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens if you bargain a little at the right shop.

BUY BUY BUY!

i wish i have that kind of budget.

Not enough to buy the best body (imo), but just enough to get a decent combo: D700 + Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens if you bargain a little at the right shop.

BUY BUY BUY!

Sorry, please ignore my previous post. I thought your budget was 6k.

To firework,

Hello and welcome to clubsnap. Congrats on your decision to buy a dSLR.

There are many other newbies like you who have asked the same question. Have you looked through their posts?

From my personal viewpoint, as to what camera to recommend you, is going to be hard. It is like me asking you the question - "Can recommend me a sports car? I just got my license! I have 500K to buy this car. What make is the best?" Also, like buying a pair of trousers, its all up to your personal preference - you want to wear it for work, leisure, or mix? My choice may not be yours. So don't want to recommend brand A model B, and then you go out and buy it, and after 1 week of use, come back and say we gave you lousy advice.

As such, I would recommend for you to go to the camera shops to try and handle each and every camera within your budget, which is like more than 60% of dSLRs out there! You need to make sure the ergonomics of the camera suits you. You don't want to buy a camera where its grip is either too big or too small for you. At the end of the day, you will come back here and start saying that such and such brand is lousy. Don't rush into buying a camera like you are buying a soda. Do your research carefully.

For brands, you have Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma, and others. Hope you have a fruitful search!

We are here to explain anything else you might have difficulties with.

Cheers!

From my personal viewpoint, as to what camera to recommend you, is going to be hard. It is like me asking you the question - "Can recommend me a sports car? I just got my license! I have 500K to buy this car. What make is the best?"

Then my reply will be: "500K not enough to buy a Maserati, which I feel is one of the best." :sweatsm:

I think we should at least find out if his 5k budget includes lens or not. If not, it'd be like selling you a Lamborgini without an engine for your budget of 500K. :think:

Tada ... the question is too open ended. Maybe we should start an outing ... "For newbies, Shopping for Your First Camera!"

Can help them if they want to buy on the spot, steer them to the recommended shops, and maybe, just maybe, get bigger discounts from the retailer if the whole group buys!

LOL.

Cheers :)

wish i had that budget for my first dslr......

Welcome to CS:)For starters how about the Leica M9?:bsmilie:

Jokes aside,your budget is quite a lot!

Canon EOS 50D/7D/5D MKII
Nikon D90/300/300s/700
Sony A550/850
Pentax K-7
Olympus E-30

Any of the above paired with a few lenses will be a great combo:)

Hi TS

After sometime, i come to realize this is one of the most difficult to answer question. There are just too many different variety between different brands, and even within same brand, so many different models.

alot of depends on what do you intend to shoot, and if you are a beginner, you may not know what you will shoot eventually... and one's wants keep changing all the time... perhaps at first you just want to shoot landscape, then flash won't be much of a concern, then later on, u may want to try portrait, then u may need a better camera that can control flash remotely...

i am not trying to be funny here, giving you no answer.. but rather i think this might be useful to you...

tks :)

There is no brand and model that is not good - it would disappear because nobody would buy it. The underlying assumption to your question is just wrong.
Please do some minimal homework before you jump on DSLR. Starting point for homework: Guide to DSLR photography for newbies, plenty of additional links inside, should keep you busy for a week at least.
All DSLR in the market are able to produce decent photos. If the person behind the viewfinder knows what to do then all cameras can produce stunning pictures. If you think that brand A will do this better than brand B (within the same camera segment) then you should wake up from the illusions of marketing. The differences are some features, but not a general difference in quality.
Check the line-up of the brands, see which cameras are there and have a good hug&kiss with them in any of the showrooms or big department stores. See what feels good in your hands in terms of weight, positioning of knobs and dials. But limit your selection. Massaging 5 cameras just for fun will only earn you the wrath of the sales man.
Btw: since more than 9 months now you are pondering about the same topic? What is missing in all the previous answers given to you?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527599

Last edited:
If you think that brand A will do this better than brand B (within the same camera segment) then you should wake up from the illusions of marketing. The differences are some features, but not a general difference in quality.

Not true, there are some features that play a huge difference to different types of people. For instance, people who like to do video would go for Canon, the competitors don't really have much to put up against 720p video at 60fps with a low end body like 550D.

But I would agree that most, if not all DSLRs, take good pictures if the user knows how to use it.

If you are sure into photography , then grab a fullframe to start with . It definitely be worthwhile .
If you arent sure if you're into it or not , then grab a beginner/semi-pro . Then when you're sure , head to the FFs .

Choose the brand that you fell in love on first sight , then expand from there . The most popular , however to some , is Nikon/Canon . I personally ( IMO ) advise you to get either brand .

hi,will go shop and try it,thanks.

To firework,

Hello and welcome to clubsnap. Congrats on your decision to buy a dSLR.

There are many other newbies like you who have asked the same question. Have you looked through their posts?

From my personal viewpoint, as to what camera to recommend you, is going to be hard. It is like me asking you the question - "Can recommend me a sports car? I just got my license! I have 500K to buy this car. What make is the best?" Also, like buying a pair of trousers, its all up to your personal preference - you want to wear it for work, leisure, or mix? My choice may not be yours. So don't want to recommend brand A model B, and then you go out and buy it, and after 1 week of use, come back and say we gave you lousy advice.

As such, I would recommend for you to go to the camera shops to try and handle each and every camera within your budget, which is like more than 60% of dSLRs out there! You need to make sure the ergonomics of the camera suits you. You don't want to buy a camera where its grip is either too big or too small for you. At the end of the day, you will come back here and start saying that such and such brand is lousy. Don't rush into buying a camera like you are buying a soda. Do your research carefully.

For brands, you have Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma, and others. Hope you have a fruitful search!

We are here to explain anything else you might have difficulties with.

Cheers!

hi,for below mention,which model are best?
budget can increase if not enough,because sponsor by my sis...

Welcome to CS:)For starters how about the Leica M9?:bsmilie:

Jokes aside,your budget is quite a lot!

Canon EOS 50D/7D/5D MKII
Nikon D90/300/300s/700
Sony A550/850
Pentax K-7
Olympus E-30

Any of the above paired with a few lenses will be a great combo:)

hi,just review online it not bad,think will get it....

BUY BUY BUY!

Sorry, please ignore my previous post. I thought your budget was 6k.

hi,just review online it not bad,think will get it....

Actually if you look at reviews of other cameras they are also not bad...I would recommend getting a mid range body like D90 or 50D with the kit lens first, then see what shots you like to take then spend the remaining $$ on the lenses for those purposes. No use spending all 5k on a kit that others recommend and then realising that there are lenses that you want but don't have, or lenses that you have but don't need.