buy new dslr

hi,for below mention,which model are best?
budget can increase if not enough,because sponsor by my sis...

Woah you're lucky that you have such a big budget sponsored by your sister... In terms of models for the Canon and Nikon ones the last few in the list (meaning the 300s/700 for Nikon and the 7D/5DMk II) are the most expensive. They are also hence the better models (that too is also quite disputable). However, as some of the people here have posted, there are 2 things you must note:

1) It is best to go to the shops and try out the models yourself, it is hard for people to give you a direct 'I think this is the best', especially between camera brands because people have their personal preferences and reasons for choosing a specific brand (say a Nikon over a Canon) and within brands a model over another (Say a 7D over a 5D MK II), hence the best thing to do is to set aside time for 1-2 days and go down to the shops and just try out the different models for yourself and decide what suits you best.

2) I agree with one of the posts here though that regardless of how big your budget is and how much you have free to spend, photography is not cheap, and if you are new you should ask yourself if you really want to be serious and really use your camera heavily. If you have that passion and want to get really serious, FX Cameras like the D700 and 5D MK II are for you, but they cost a lot more. However, if you are more into it recreationally, you might want to start smaller with models like the D90/D300. I think the point I personally am driving at here is that even though you have the budget to buy the most expensive, you may not need/use some of the functions they have as yet.

Besides, if you have the ability to afford the best, upgrading later hopefully won't be a problem for you:)

Just my two cents worth!

Last edited:
hi,for below mention,which model are best?
budget can increase if not enough,because sponsor by my sis...

I can't tell you which one is the best of all.If i say Canon,Nikon/Pentax/Sony users will KPKB.Same for the other way round.

The best you can do is to go to Courts/HN/BD to get a hands on the cameras and see which one suits you best.

But for 5k,i'll go for a Canon 5D MKII with EF 24-105mm f4L and maybe a 70-200mm f4L:)

But for 5k,i'll go for a Canon 5D MKII with EF 24-105mm f4L and maybe a 70-200mm f4L:)

This set-up will definitely cost you more than 5k bro.

hi,,,thanks for recomendation,will go down shop and try out....

I can't tell you which one is the best of all.If i say Canon,Nikon/Pentax/Sony users will KPKB.Same for the other way round.

The best you can do is to go to Courts/HN/BD to get a hands on the cameras and see which one suits you best.

wow...5k budget

then u can get a 50D, 70-200mm 4L IS, 10-22mm canon and 17-50mm tamron...from uwa to telephoto...

Powerful! That is my buget for 2 years or more...:bsmilie:

$5k is a big budget for beginer but small when become serious with photography.

Once into photography, very soon will realize that 1 lens isn't enogh. Will also need other accessories like, flash, tripod & head, dry cabi, filters, etc.

So advice is not just spend all $5k into just a body and 1 lens only. Reserve a bit for accessory especially a dry cabi for storage.

one point maybe to consider is what is the most common brand that your friends are using.
so can ask them for knowledge or go out together can borrow lens.

but in the end, it is your own camera. just go with your heart.

No doubt, i am envious!
With a budget of $5K for a start i am sure you can give more to get all the best equipment.
i don think much equipment can bother you.

Just go into Fx straight man.
C or N up to the majority in your community using it.

hi,just review online it not bad,think will get it....

Erm, it is not "not bad" in many people's books. It is actually one of the best for general photography in the 35mm frame format without the setup being too heavy.

There are Sony, Canon, Olympus etc equivalents of this of course, but I just like the feel from Nikon.

Go for Sony =P

hi,i will try out Canon 5d Mark II and Nikon D700 ,see which one more robust ,thanks.

Erm, it is not "not bad" in many people's books. It is actually one of the best for general photography in the 35mm frame format without the setup being too heavy.

There are Sony, Canon, Olympus etc equivalents of this of course, but I just like the feel from Nikon.

hi,ya i know soon will get more n more lens ,n accessories of cause,its my hobby,
anyway my sis will sponsor me.:)

$5k is a big budget for beginer but small when become serious with photography.

Once into photography, very soon will realize that 1 lens isn't enogh. Will also need other accessories like, flash, tripod & head, dry cabi, filters, etc.

So advice is not just spend all $5k into just a body and 1 lens only. Reserve a bit for accessory especially a dry cabi for storage.

hi,anyone can recommend me a dslr camera?
i am newbie here...budget 5k....
what brand and model are good?

don mind i ask this question..your join date is june 2009 and until may 2010 then u start to buy cam... in bet months u are still searching for cam??
hope no offence..

yup,i join on jun 2009,but that time no budget,now got sis sponsor then must get good one lol....

don mind i ask this question..your join date is june 2009 and until may 2010 then u start to buy cam... in bet months u are still searching for cam??
hope no offence..

hi,ya i know soon will get more n more lens ,n accessories of cause,its my hobby,
anyway my sis will sponsor me.:)

fireworks, you haven't even start already kenah the virus liao...:bsmilie::bsmilie:

hahaha....been using point and shoot camera ,now is time to upgrade to DSLR liao,
how ur Canon 5D Mk II performance?

fireworks, you haven't even start already kenah the virus liao...:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hi firework.

I have a slightly different take on this matter...

your potential budget is certainly impressive, and you're very lucky for it.
However, I would advise you to start simple and learn about photography basics first. There's no shame in buying a simple setup and learning the ropes first. The entry-mid models usually have a lot more automated features, which help to get you going on the long road of discovery and learning. After that you can sell off the entry level stuff for a small loss, and move on to something more feature-rich.

I think if I had jumped straight into photography with something like a D700 or 5DmII, I might have been bewildered by the sheer complexity of the darn thing. My photos may have actually turned out worse, and thus discouraged me from pursuing this hobby.
Don't forget that the full-frame cameras are a lot heavier and bulkier.

My opinion is that from your posts in this thread, you don't even know how to arrive at the decision of what camera to get, so I think you should work on that first.

cheers,
all the best.