Buy New Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthur5011

Nov 21, 2008
hello everyone.. my auntie would like to get a new desktop for her children (standard 5 & Form 1).. the budget she gave me is 1500SGD they need fullset including monitor and no special system preferred..

do you all know which shop can get better deal in SG? i knew Funan IT mall and Sim lim.. but dun know the specific shop.. appreciate you all can guide me on this.. thanks..

Bearing in mind the users and their profile, its better for you to buy a pre-assembled system. Something like Dell or HP or the like. Probably at Challenger in Funan Centre.

It may not be the best deal, but it will be the least headache/heartache/stress.

hello everyone.. my auntie would like to get a new desktop for her children (standard 5 & Form 1).. the budget she gave me is 1500SGD they need fullset including monitor and no special system preferred..

do you all know which shop can get better deal in SG? i knew Funan IT mall and Sim lim.. but dun know the specific shop.. appreciate you all can guide me on this.. thanks..

Buy from dell.com
For Pri students, below $1k is good enough. Buy online and free delivery ... fast and simple :thumbsup:

standard 5 & form 1, sound like malaysia or somewhere else except singapore...

better off buying a full set in your country, else a laptop is easier to bring back.

Like what Del_CtrlnoAlt said..... if you are really buying to take it back to Malaysia. I too would say to get your system from Malaysia. I think it still apply now as far as taxation goes...IT stuff are cheaper in Malaysia as your govt has special incentive so shops selling PC stuff are cheaper then compared to Singapore. None of my cousins who build systems who comes singapore ever want to buy stuff from here and bring back hehe... they can get the stuff cheaper back there.

Also ...how PC and net savvy is your aunty and the kids? If they are not, I would think this is another good reason to be buying in Malaysia. Because if something happens to the PC...you have to bring it all the way back here to get it fixed.

Also buy a PC from a computer company like Dell, IBM, ACER.....etc. Buying from an established maker will ensure better aftersale services and easier troubleshoot in case of problem unless you are very free to go back there every now and again to fix the PC for them. With a budget of SDG1,500...you can get yourself more then an above average fast performing PC for sure. Buying from a established maker will also ensure your Windows XP pro is original and will not have problem with updating automatically too. Vista is pretty stable these day but it might still be abit too much for people not very familiar with PC stuff like drivers, tweaking the system, navigating some of the user settings...etc. XP is very mature and is alot easier and stable for most use. Trust me...you don't get the blue screen of death as often as some apple fan boy would want you to believe.

There is also the tax thingy too if you bring in your PC from the Causeway. You can get tax as much as 30% of its value. Buy in Malaysia....also easier no need to go thru the hassle of getting back your GST claim if you buy from a shop that charges you for it.

... something to think about. If you need direction as to where to buy in KL or maybe a town I might know...let me know.. I will get my cousins in Malaysia to locate them or you can google to find it yourself.

Last edited:
err.. sorry for misleading.. my auntie stay SG.. but i from MY.. she want me to help her to build a desktop for her children.. but i not sure where to get for her in SG.. hahaha...

Just get it from DELL......home delivery free, 2 years warranty parts..........with online help and you have very few problems as no such thing as hardware compatibilty. Going to Sim Lim Square sometimes give you more headache if you do not know your way around there. Not all of them are friendly....

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/pro...desktop-studio-mini?c=sg&cs=sgdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530s?c=sg&cs=sgdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530?c=sg&cs=sgdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

So many to choose from.......

Status
Not open for further replies.