Buy more (eqpt)....take less(photos)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
togu said:
Face it, it's all about ego problem. :p
not just that. most of the pros that we might hire to shoot, won't be able to guaranty the result. No one can. Better to spend the $10K on equipment and lessons, and hopefully shoot a lot, and get a few good ones. Hiring, $10K won't go too far.

Ok, ok, when there is a good shot, ego does get boosted.

seankyh said:
I'm not sure who first coined the term 'Measurebators' but its such an appropriate term. I think at some point, we are all guilty of it. There isn't a guy in this forum who has not.. erm... measurebated .

We do it all the time when we want to buy lens/body. But after buying, den shoot lar. After a while, sure gian some more one. Den you surf internet to measurebate again lah heehee
I believe Ken Rockwell coined the term "measurebator".

in all fairness, the flip side is this:

if i need (or want) to acquire equipment, i will come online and get advice. so i will post, and join in conversations about equipment.

but when (or IF) i shoot a great shot with that equipment, i may not necessarily post it, becos of privacy, copyright, can't be bothered, love it so much so dun need comments, etc etc.

of course, i agree there are plenty of "measurebators" out there.

but hor, i sometimes wonder about the point of such thread. i mean AT LEAST when one constantly talks about equipment, it's a tangible thing that u can get away with by saying "equipment is needed to take photos (good or bad), so wat's wrong with talking about it". but to constantly talk about pple who constantly talk about equipment, that's getting a little too eh.. how should i put it... lame? :sweat:

sad to say, and no offence to any, i feel that makes us worse than measurebators...

jOhO said:
in all fairness, the flip side is this:

if i need (or want) to acquire equipment, i will come online and get advise. so i will post, and join in conversations about equipment.

but when (or IF) i shoot a great shot with that equipment, i may not necessarily post it, becos of privacy, copyright, can't be bothered, love it so much so dun need comments, etc etc.

of course, i agree there are plenty of "measurebators" out there.

but hor, i sometimes wonder about the point of such thread. i mean AT LEAST when one constantly talks about equipment, it's a tangible thing that u can get away with by saying "equipment is needed to take photos (good or bad), so wat's wrong with talking about it". but to constantly talk about pple who constantly talk about equipment, that's getting a little too eh.. how should i put it... lame? :sweat:

sad to say, and no offence to any, i feel that makes us worse than measurebators...

I agree.. seems like the thread-starter himself is guilty of that... he even asked in his 2nd post what type of lens used for the bokeh... a good question since bokeh is very much dependent on equipment, 80-200mm has way nicer bokeh than 28-200mm no matter how good you are as a photographer.

jOhO said:

:D

Some shoot pix to enjoy photography, some play with the hardware to enjoy photography. Just that they find joy in a different way.

litefoot said:
:D

Some shoot pix to enjoy photography, some play with the hardware to enjoy photography. Just that they find joy in a different way.
yeah and some find joy talking about pple who find joy in hardware... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

dawgbyte77 said:
I agree.. seems like the thread-starter himself is guilty of that... he even asked in his 2nd post what type of lens used for the bokeh... a good question since bokeh is very much dependent on equipment, 80-200mm has way nicer bokeh than 28-200mm no matter how good you are as a photographer.

thread starter also doesnt post his nice pics....

hazekang said:
thread starter also doesnt post his nice pics....

haha...:bsmilie: i notice that too.

Anyway,end of the day,you happy with your photos can liao.
Why care when the bugger can still be hoo-haa over 20D,350D,D50 etc...

espn said:
I always orgas from touching all the expensive glasses and bodies :lovegrin:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
1st the rapex thread now this.... :bigeyes:

when i see this kind of post from a newly registered nickname, i always wonder :think:

Then i take a look at his previous posts.... wahh all PRO comments .... :sweatsm:

Germinc said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
1st the rapex thread now this.... :bigeyes:
He is the only guy here whom I know can orgas just by touching expensive glass and bodies. :bsmilie:

shooter said:
Eh... a common thrend i discovered in CS is that the plp here are more interested to find out which latest DSLR to buy, rather than getting good photographs!

"Which lens is sharper?" "D70 better or D50 better ah?" "C** better or N*** better ah?" Wah liew... so much technical talk... after buying equipment, never see their photos in CS one!!

don't be so gadget siao lar.... u will NOT become a good photographer even if you are using a Pro Cam. It will only MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE ONE... BUT NEVER ONE!

Wake Up!!

Continue shooting, let ppl buy what they want to buy. Its because people buy, manufacturer invest more in R&D, advancement in technology. Finally when you're done with your shooting and become a pro one day, you might need a 100mp DSLR, then you'll remember who r the ones who made it possible for u to own one. :bsmilie:

Hmmm.... For me, its "Buy More, Travel Less, Shoot Less". :(

I tink I have to stop dreaming Ls all day long (especially that 70-200) if I want to travel. :(

togu said:
* togu prepare the fire extinguisher. ;p

It's human nature, hrm, I mean singaporean human nature. In CS, from CF cards, cameras, lenses, bags etc etc all the way to mouses, keyboards, monitors, pc, apple, orange. Everything must be big and ex.. :p

This is called gear fetish - nothing wrong with that - playing with gear is also another hobby, just like like taking pictures, and spend 48 hrs fiddling with the pic on PS. Some are called amateur photog, serious photog or others are called gearheads or gear-fetish or buy-buy-buyer..... After all, it is a different type of hobby, like different stroke, like some feel shiok just by merely stroking their camera or flash, without even firing it. ;) :D ;p

smallaperture said:
like some feel shiok just by merely stroking their camera or flash, without even firing it. ;) :D ;p

This statement reminds me of gollum...
"My... preeeecious...."
He never did use the ring....
:p

espn said:
I always orgas from touching all the expensive glasses and bodies :lovegrin:

hmm now i know y nikon dun come out with White Lens... cos its easier to know which lens is touched by espn & which 1 is not... :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hmm now i know y nikon dun come out with White Lens... cos its easier to know which lens is touched by espn & which 1 is not... :bsmilie:

No what, if kena orgas on it I think white lens harder to spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.