Buy Middle Range DSLR now or wait for FF DSLR?

Abuddlah

Sep 2, 2008
I have a 450D now, I'm thinking to either upgrade to a 70D or should I wait and save up for a FF?

While I upgrade to a 70D, I'm trying to change my range of lenses for use on FF next time. But if I get a 70D, I can use for a few years first while saving up for the new range of lesnes and FF. Or should I just hold out now and save for FF? But then, I won't have any lenses except a 50mm f1.8.

Please help!

Why do you think you need FF? It will not magically make your pictures any better.

I have a 450D now, I'm thinking to either upgrade to a 70D or should I wait and save up for a FF?

While I upgrade to a 70D, I'm trying to change my range of lenses for use on FF next time. But if I get a 70D, I can use for a few years first while saving up for the new range of lesnes and FF. Or should I just hold out now and save for FF? But then, I won't have any lenses except a 50mm f1.8.

Please help!

Just buy 5D3 straight, dun have to save here and there waste time and more money

Please help!

good to considering upgrading as its a perpetual wish to produce better photos but really... I wouldn't see FF as necessarily an upgrade. Personally, I will hold out against upgrading until i hit the point where its my equipment limiting my skills and trust me, nowadays cameras are so good that this is seldom the case.

No matter what camera u using, 450D or 1Dx, when u took a nice photos, most will say "wow..! good camera". Only some will say nice photos, why they like it etc.

Save till you can afford a used 5d2 + 24-105.

Even U upgrade to 7dmk2 will not improve your image ...

Please help!

If u need FF then get it. Why wait?

If you are truly keen on photography, then get the best setup you can afford now and start taking some good pictures.

You have to ask yourself what does 70D or FF offer you that your 450D cannot.

Anyway, what lens are you using now? Upgrading to FF also means changing all your EF-S mount lens to EF equivalent which needs additional $$$. It can easily exceed your budget for the body kit alone.

APSC and FF belongs to 2 different categories and you should know what genre are your preferences before shortlisting cameras to suit your needs.

If upgrading is due to GAS working up in you or budget is no issues, then go for the best you can afford to make yourself happy.

I moved to a 6d from a 650d.

I'm loving the flexibility the 6d is giving me. Being able to shoot at ISO 6400 on a cloudy day wo much concern for poor image quality nor need for flash or tripod.

Of course I do realise that I have to give up my multiple cross af points and (cosmetics wise ) an articulated screen. But I find the trade off well and good.

TS do note that if you tend to shoot fast moving objects, the 6d can't match up to the 70d though. You probably need the 70d or the 5d3.

All the best in whatever you choose!

1) You don;'t even know why you want any upgrade.
2) You have only one lens that can be used on APS-C and FF
3) Obviously you don't have the money right away.
Why on earth are you thinking about a new camera? Upgrade your skills, it only costs time for reading books, online publications and shooting on your own.

Don't plan too far in the future -- the DSLR market could change a lot by the time you get your FF (unless maybe you plan to get in in the next few months?)
If you want to get a 70D (or other APS-C body) now, use your current lenses or spend on APS-C specific lenses. FF lenses do work on APS-C Canon bodies, but they are hardly the best all-round choices.
Good lenses hold their values well (unlike bodies), so if you do eventually go FF, sell your APS-C kit (the APS-C market is highly unlikely to die out soon), and get whatever FF lenses are on the market then.
If you are still using your current lenses then, you wouldn't have lost much.

What upset me most ,, with today people who loves photography , sometimes they don't even want to learn the basics art of taking great photos.
You are not a good photographer if you are trying to show off what equipments you are using,show people the photos you've taken , make it simple don't waste your hard earn money on something that you will for most of the time keep in the DC
Sincerely

Honestly, most people here need to take a chill pill! So many assumptions about the TS' motivations, and he never said anything. You may be right, but maybe it's just that his 450D is falling apart :bsmilie:
I think the point has been made -- buying a new cam will not improve your photos.
Then again, I'd warn the 'real enthusiasts' to be careful what they wish for. If it wasn't for the 90% (?) of the market that are GWCs, the range of available models would likely shrink, the smaller manufacturers fold up, and the cost of gear would go up!

Nothing wrong for wanting to upgrade gear. All of us have been through this cycle. My take is if you want to upgrade, make sure the $ difference justify the upgrade. It your own $ after all.

Better gear does give you a better chances for better pictures.

All things aside, make budget the first consideration.

Thanks guys! I decided and went ahead with a 6D. Now I left with a 50mm to shoot. My 450D is failing me and falling apart. Thanks guys!