Buy Many Memory Cards Before Go On Tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmij

Dec 4, 2005
Hi guys,

I would like to ask if you normally buy many memory cards before going on your tour/trip overseas? I would be going Tibet for 14 days and I have only a 2GB and a 1GB CF card.

I dun think that would be enough even when shooting JPEG. I may purchase during SITEX but come think of it, I would not need so many of them while I am in Singapore.

How do you guys solve such a situation? Is there such a thing as renting memory cards?

Thanks in advanced.

Just some suggestions. Buy a portable HD which can read CF cards? Or bring your laptop and upload the pictures before you retire for the nite?

Any others?
Cheers

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a portable digital storage (20GB) bought 3 years back, but I understand that that is not very safe as hard disk is easily "spoilt". The risk is definitely there especially when I am backpacking.

Bring a laptop is out of question too. Very heavy.

Now is winter and I would be bringing quite a lot of clothes there, plus medicine too :)

ya, high altitude, hdd damage faster...

hmm, probably shoot sparingly, 14 days, i could easily chalk up 20gb... if i get interesting subjects everyday... and jpg+raw is about 10mb per image.

well, if for normal trips, probably using hdd. yours i think more 4gb memory cards...

HDDs can be vulnerable at high altitudes. My 80Gb iPod stopped working at higher altitudes in Tibet although my Powerbook was fine. However, I suggest you get a couple of 8Gb cards - they are a much cheaper and safer option these days.

was thinking of getting more cf cards. the thing is i might not need them after the trip. so i is a little wasteful if i buy and use very seldom.

sitex is coming though.

can try borrow from friends. i dont see the point of buying so many cards just for holiday trips. cards are very robust, so no worry about damage, 5x4gb (but i dont think you will need that much memory) cards are much smaller and lighter than portable HDD.

Hi guys,

I would like to ask if you normally buy many memory cards before going on your tour/trip overseas? I would be going Tibet for 14 days and I have only a 2GB and a 1GB CF card.

I dun think that would be enough even when shooting JPEG. I may purchase during SITEX but come think of it, I would not need so many of them while I am in Singapore.

How do you guys solve such a situation? Is there such a thing as renting memory cards?

Thanks in advanced.

get cards. there's never such a thing as having too many.
Cunning.gif

I've also not been carrying HDD anymore and it feels like the old film days.

If you want to take more photos carry more film/cards.

Hi

Maybe can borrow the cards from friends, right?

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a portable digital storage (20GB) bought 3 years back, but I understand that that is not very safe as hard disk is easily "spoilt". The risk is definitely there especially when I am backpacking.

Bring a laptop is out of question too. Very heavy.

Now is winter and I would be bringing quite a lot of clothes there, plus medicine too :)
Bring ur laptop, cut down on the clothes.

Like u'd said - Winter. You don't sweat as much during winter and you can wash your clothes and it will dry very quickly if u juz place it on the heater.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Most of my friends are not using CF cards. I would not be bring a laptop along. I would bring my 3 year old portable digital storage along as backup.

Guess I would need to visit Sitex this Thursday.

When will you go? I don't think now it's good season for Tibet as you cannot reach most of remote but beautiful areas.

For storage, depends on which format you use, RAW or JPEG? A big difference for your space demand.

However, you can try to buy another DigiMate with bigger space, then backup in two HD always, that will decrease risk of lossing data, you know statistics. For Tibet, carrying more cards may not be good choice unless you carry totally 40G-60G cards which will be much much more expensive than another Digimate. Laptop is also not good answer, it's Tibet, not other places. It will be very hard to move even yourself. Save your space for clothing, medicine, batteries and other accessories. Batteries will be more important than cards especially in so cold place. Actually I doubt whether you can go now, as snow and ice will freeze everywhere.

I'm also thinking of backpack to Tibet, but it's just not right time now.

For remote areas, I would recommend carrying CF cards as there'll be no worries of getting power supply/batteries for your PSD.

I would get more small cards instead of a large one... maybe a few 2 GBs instead of a 8GB. Don't like to put all the eggs in one basket.

I would be leaving this Friday, for two weeks. Just book the air tickets this morning :)
Problem is I could only leave Chengdu on 5 Dec and reached Tibet on 7 Dec due to some stupid reason :(

Anyway Cold is expected. But I read it is not that bad in winter. Guess I will know by then.

I should be taking jpeg format. Would need to purchase some more I guess.

As mentioned, break up the storage over several 2 or 4 gig cards, just in case one or two fail. Very unlikely, but nothing is perfect.

More cards also no problems when you get back. If you find you have no need for so many cards, just sell them as 'used once only cards' for a few dollars less and they should be snapped up in no time, unless there's a noticeable price drop from the time of your purchase till when you want to sell them (hint: don't wait too long). Heck, I'll even chope one or two x 2 gig if they're sandisks)

Status
Not open for further replies.