Buy Digital Camera in Tokyo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chensc78

Hi,

Newbie here. Need some advice here.

I read one of the thread that it is cheaper to buy a camera in Japan. One of the fellow forumer said that canon A70 will cost S$300+ there, but must sacrifise the local warrantry.

1. Is there anywhere in particular to buy digital camera in Tokyo?
2. Any web-site to refer to?
3. Address?
4. What is an export set?
5. Is it possible to buy a camera with international warranty there?

Thanks for any advice given. :)

Not necessarily true. While camera equiptment can be cheaper, the current strength of the Japanese yen against the Singapore dollar may offset that comparative advantage. The difference can be substantial i.e. 1 SGD could fetch you 73 JPY about two years ago, but it can only fetch you 63 JPY today!

tat depends also, most shops there sell at retail prices to tourist which is more expensive then getting from singapore. & there is the no bargain ruling there as well.

like wat parchiao says, unless our money exchange value increase, we may get a better price, if not we most prob will lugi...

so go japan, buy those exotic things back, no point lingering for a better deal of things you can get here in singapore.

to answer your qns...
1. dunno & i think you dun have time to go as well if you are going with tour groups, unless you going there for homestay or free & easy, but den again, must have strong japanese language & cultural background
2. ... dunno
3. ... skip
4. export set in singapore mean you can't sell in singapore or there is no warranty coverage in singapore like parallel import sets. some video equipment like pin hole cameras cannot be sold to singaporean so they can sell but only to foreigners.
5. not sure, i think international warranty have to apply there, which means need a local address.

chensc78 said:
Hi,

Newbie here. Need some advice here.

I read one of the thread that it is cheaper to buy a camera in Japan. One of the fellow forumer said that canon A70 will cost S$300+ there, but must sacrifise the local warrantry.

1. Is there anywhere in particular to buy digital camera in Tokyo?
2. Any web-site to refer to?
3. Address?
4. What is an export set?
5. Is it possible to buy a camera with international warranty there?

Thanks for any advice given. :)

in general, with current exchange rates, it is not good to buy digital cameras in Tokyo. In fact, i find that cameras' prices are quite good here locally.
Some camera accessories are cheaper and more have varieties in Tokyo (eg Nikon SD-8A batt pack for flash only cost about SGD190+ after tax in Tokyo).
Local warranty is important for cameras. ;)

1. go to shinjuku station and go to west exit. from there, you can reach some very big stores selling cameras and stuff (yodobashi camera main branch, map camera, biccamera, sakuraya)

2. www.mapcamera.com / www.yodobashi.com / www.sakuraya.co.jp / www.biccamera.co.jp

3. refer to their websites

4. export sets are normally not for sale locally, meant for exporting to elsewhere...normally no warranties

5. it depends...normally digital products doesn't have intl warranty...

Status
Not open for further replies.