Buy Canon here or in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyfiddler

Sep 8, 2002
Hi folks!

Need advice. I will be going over to Australia this coming July and of course, will be doing photography over there. To speed up the photography 'work flow', I have decided to go digital. In fact, will be getting the Canon 10D.

The question is, is it better to get the 10D here in Singapore and then bring it over to Australia to use or buy the 10D there instead? Also will be getting a notebook, buy here or there?

Thanks!

Don't know what the price of the 10D is in Singapore (or were ever you are from :) )

Here is a guide for the 10D here in Australia, these are from Impact Cameras an etailer in Sydney

10D AUD$3195
10D Pro Kit AUD$3549

and you can also check out Dirt Cheap Cameras for most the lens prices that are not on Impact Cameras.

james m....

I think the 10D is retailing in Singapore for about S$2750 including the 4% GST, just my estimate.

:eek: Looks like the 10D is mighty expensive over there in Australia!!

Think I will get the 10D here in Singapore. Thanks mysteriousjimmy for your help! :) Much appreciated!

Originally posted by lazyfiddler

:eek: Looks like the 10D is mighty expensive over there in Australia!!

Think I will get the 10D here in Singapore. Thanks mysteriousjimmy for your help! :) Much appreciated!

no worries...

All camera gear is expensive here.

What part of OZ will you heading to?

Will be down at Adelaide this July for post-graduate studies for 1.5-2 years. Really hope to get some great pictures there, especially those landscape ones. mysteriousjmmy, where are u at?

mysteriousjmmy, where are u at?

<------ :)

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy
<------ :)

Geez! I must be blind, having missed the 'location' information below your avatar!

Another question, do u think it is better to buy a notebook computer over there in Australia?

again not sure about a prices compared to here but have a look at

Harris Technology

Computer Alliance

Plus Corp

these computer etailers here in Australia, check them out to get an idea on price of notebook's in OZ

james m....

Hey Jimmy,
I'm heading up to Brisbane in a couple of weeks to start uni. I'm going to be doing information technology but I want to do photography part time and an independent institute. Do you have any recommendations as to courses or photography institutes in Australia? Thanks a bunch

Originally posted by PaulSeow
Hey Jimmy,
I'm heading up to Brisbane in a couple of weeks to start uni.

Since you are heading to Brisbane try ....

TAFE Queensland

OR

Brisbane Collage of Photography
112-116 Bowen St.
Spring Hill, QLD, 4000

Tel: (07) 3839 6326

Everything electronics, computers, handphones, etc etc --> Singapore

DVD -> Australia
Mags -> Australia
Petrol -> Australia
Cars -> Australia
Food -> Australia (Ok, maybe not cheaper, but nicer!)

Basically, everything that has content is better and cheaper there. Everything that's supposed to play that content is cheaper here. :D

My friend says his cousin got taxed on her brand new laptop when she went to oz to study. Apparently they're afraid of people parallel importing stuff in and selling it. Don't know if its the customs people messing with them or real policy.

Perhaps those in australia can shed some light on this?

If you are doing photo for work, buying in Australia is a wiser choice unless you have someone going back every 6 months.

as if your DSLR give problem .. no retailer will cover you under Canon w'ty somehow.

For notebook ... same things goes.
spoil your HDD , and all the repairer here will not your Singapore-based international warranty somehow.

I got lots of a few international students going to our shop with spoiled HDD or other parts, and Compaq and Toshiba for sure dun want to replace :(
[as they claim labour in Asia is cheaper than in Aussie ... dunno where they get the figure from :D ]

Btw. . you can get 10D much cheaper than 3.1K here. ..
is 2.9K with Australian w'ty :) Camera.centre.net.au

And if you are going back, you can claim the GST [10%] ...
so ... 2.7 K AUD :)

=bob=

Hi folks!

Need advice. I will be going over to Australia this coming July and of course, will be doing photography over there. To speed up the photography 'work flow', I have decided to go digital. In fact, will be getting the Canon 10D.

The question is, is it better to get the 10D here in Singapore and then bring it over to Australia to use or buy the 10D there instead? Also will be getting a notebook, buy here or there?

Thanks!

IS the laptop still in sealed box ?
IF not, just tell them its not new and you are a student so you will be using your laptop to aid your study.

I always carry laptop going in and out Sydney airport, and they never even ask me :D

[ a friend even carries a dozen of damaged laptops to be fixed back home ... and they dun care :D ]
=bob=

Originally posted by MoriMori
My friend says his cousin got taxed on her brand new laptop when she went to oz to study. Apparently they're afraid of people parallel importing stuff in and selling it. Don't know if its the customs people messing with them or real policy.

Thanks jimmy!

Hey Zoomer, if I get the notebook in Singapore, how about the warranty?

Thanks jimmy!

Hey Zoomer, if I get the notebook in Singapore, how about the warranty?

Some brands have international warranty.

But, any way, I recommend going for GOOD brands, because a reliable laptop does not need servicing at all.
Maybe if you are rough, a harddisk replacement maybe needed if it crashed.

Maybe you can consider a Compaq laptop, because they have a office in Adelaide. Just make sure it's got international warranty.

IT Show's coming on 5th June 2003 at Singapore EXPO. Good time to get one.

Extracted from http://whp-sp-orig.extweb.hp.com/country/au/eng/contact/office_locs.html

Compaq office
139 Frome Street
Adelaide SA 5000

Phone: 61 8 8408 4100
Fax: 61 8 8408 4299

Hey Winston,

Many thanks for the info on Compaq and the office address in Adelaide. :)

Also thanks for highlighting the IT show coming soon. Yes... will likely get the notebook then.

Could u advice me some more? What do u think of Acer? I am actually narrowing down my choice notebook from these 2 brands.

Originally posted by MoriMori

a few years ago my friend went for studies & what she did was to show the customs the laptop ie turned it on & there was a wallpaper of her & her bf - they were so amazed (then) with it & let her get through.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
a few years ago my friend went for studies & what she did was to show the customs the laptop ie turned it on & there was a wallpaper of her & her bf - they were so amazed (then) with it & let her get through.

yikes!! So is it true about the taxing part? Oh no! I will be lugging my camera and lens and tripod and notebook along when I go there!! Does it mean they will tax me??? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.