Buy a "ready made" computer or Better to DIY one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreq

Deregistered
Jul 12, 2007
COMEX is coming... Just wondering if there are any worthy ones like DELL or Acer to be recommended?

I built a computer on my own though I'm not technically minded. Spent some time reading and exploring to get the stuffs right. Was thinking, I didn't want to spend the time (or take risks!) this time round due to my busy schedule....

My only reservations are that those "ready made" ones have fixed RAM (2GB?) and very small hard disk space (320GB?).

Anyone any idea if they allow us to change the RAM size to say 4GB and "upsize" the hard disk to say 750GB?

Thanks so much. :D

COMEX is coming... Just wondering if there are any worthy ones like DELL or Acer to be recommended?

I built a computer on my own though I'm not technically minded. Spent some time reading and exploring to get the stuffs right. Was thinking, I didn't want to spend the time (or take risks!) this time round due to my busy schedule....

My only reservations are that those "ready made" ones have fixed RAM (2GB?) and very small hard disk space (320GB?).

Anyone any idea if they allow us to change the RAM size to say 4GB and "upsize" the hard disk to say 750GB?

Nah, rather you go to SLS to get a Custom Computer. :thumbsup:

neither, u can go SLS choose the part and some shop will offer you assembly(other than installing the OS) for free or at a small fee of maybe $20.

anyway for ram, you can get 2x 1GB stick at barely $50, for hdd, just install another 500gb and you get 820GB total, 500gb cost about $120 only. but do note some brand will have its warranty void if you install or upgrade ur own hardware.

price wise, they not of much difference... but if you get them from SLS (not those already-made custom box), you get longer warranty from each parts(hdd is a good 5yrs for most, graphic card and processor should be around 3yrs)

Last edited:

These days almost all the branded PCs you can buy allow quite abit of customisation like add more ram or swapped out HDD for higher capacity..etc. The trick is to do the upgrading at the moment you buy or order your PC because to do that later will cost you alot more money when you go back to them to buy the upgrades.

I have always built all my own PC. I get a kick out of doing so and I enjoy the researching to get the best parts (and learn what's the latest tech for each component if you are a geek like me) to build a specific PC for my work and play. I can't speak for others but system I build usually never give me any problem compared to branded PC I have helped advise friends to buy. There are things about brand PCs that I don't really like and alot has to do with how they configure the hardware (choice selection from their supplier) in such a way sometime that you can't upgrade stuff in the PC from parts you buy yourself from SLS but force to buy from them to maintain compatibility. Some off-the-shelf parts do not work well in them even if you managed to find the latest update or patch from the component maker till the branded PC does something about it in the PC's bios to accept a new card or CPU....etc.

If you have enough experience to setting up one, have the time to go buy the part, enjoy tweaking and messing about with your own build...it is actually a good path to take. To me cheaper too in one form or another...okay at times it might cost me more due to purchasing a top end part but on the long run I get more bang and power for my bucks.

Last edited:
I built my own PC for the past 13 years. The best of DIY is that you can choose what parts to add to at your own budget. It's really fun to setup every PC which is like a child to me. ;)

There are two meanings when you hear people say they are "building their own PC".

Some just select the parts and leave it to the SLS shop to assemble and install OS (most do so at no extra charge).

Others select the parts and actually do the assembly and installation of OS themselves.

In my view, you should select the parts and leave it to the SLS shop to assemble. Since there is no extra charge, might as well leave the grunt work to them. If they short anything during installation, its not your problem :) It will however be good to closely monitor what they are doing as they work, because some shops would "throw" away the spart parts that come with your motherboard into their common pile of "spares". I had to retrieve some of these when the uncle decided to contribute my spares to the common pool.

Most of ready-made ones, like dell give you options to upgrade.
Upgrading ram is fine, but for me HDD need not be too big. I store my docs and photos in an external HDD. No headaches when upgrading PC next time.

Build your own. you know what's there in it and its more fun that way.

On the other hand, if you are technologically challenged (like I am with some stuff), you could select parts and ask the SLS people to build.

Branded PCs I never understood :dunno:

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

So the general advice looks like to go to SLS to ask the shop guys to do it. Do they provide Windows OS or do I have to buy that separately too?

Looks like I don't have to make atrip down to the maddening crowd at COMEX then. :)

But could you all please recommend me a reliable shop in SLS to build the PC? It's a scary place where cheating is commonly reported. Is Fuwell good?

Thanks again!

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

So the general advice looks like to go to SLS to ask the shop guys to do it. Do they provide Windows OS or do I have to buy that separately too?

Looks like I don't have to make atrip down to the maddening crowd at COMEX then. :)

But could you all please recommend me a reliable shop in SLS to build the PC? It's a scary place where cheating is commonly reported. Is Fuwell good?

Thanks again!
of cos OS comes seperate... u are just paying for the hardware, u think they give you a software worth $100+ free? :bsmilie:

fuwell ain't bad as far as my friend experience goes, best is do some research on the net and then compare the price list among few of the shop, and do believe 100% of what they say when you are unsure. :sweat:

fuwell is ok... I mainly buy parts from them, cybermind, storage studio, even bell sometimes... but like ExporerZ says, good to do some research first... or ask someone you trust who has expertise in this area :)

Fuwell is okay, but Fuwell is the shop where the uncle tried to dump my spare parts into the common pool.

I'd like to add that most motherboards of the DIY variety (and perhaps not the branded pre-builts) have RAID as standard, and you should make use of this capability to protect your data. 2 x 500GB is only around $240, and if you set them up as RAID 1 you will get 500 GB of mirrored protection.

if you know how to or want to learn how to
it's better to DIY
better performance at cheaper price

:think: actually as of few years back, i don really see that significant saving for DIY PC, "branded" PC espcially dell and acer have kinda match up the price you would get from simlim. Do note that LCD and OS also add up to a significant cost of the whole system which many fails to include in their budget, this 2 can easily sum up $500 or more.

Only few plus i see from DIY would probably be the fun and flexibility factor with all parts choosen and assemble by yourself. but if any of the parts fail within warranty period, you gotta send them to their respective service center, there will be no "one-stop" service center as in the case of branded PC.

i chose ready made cos i dunno how to DIY. i'm a PC nut. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.