Buy a collapsilbe Grey Card or buy Expodisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
I know the price difference is huge, but which one you think will save time and frustration in the long run?

The collapsible grey card from Tagotech is $40 and Cathay is now selling the Expodisk for $170.

both have pro and con....
but just to let you know....

collapsible grey card need to take out to use and keep it after you done with it, after sometime, either you decide not to use them or spoil already..

exposdisc is handy, just put in your pocket, can take out any time you want it, but easy to get lost, btw, have you lost a lens cap before? that is like a two hundred bucks lens cap you know?

How does an ExpoDisc differ from a gray card?
Gray cards are generally made out of non-durable mat board to reduce unwanted reflections but overtime they become damaged, dirty and their dyes can shift in color. As a result most gray card manufacturers recommend that the card be replaced after a couple of months of use. To use a gray card effectively it needs to occupy at least 15% of the image frame when setting exposure or color balance. Therefore, in many cases the card needs to be large (e.g. 8" x 10") which makes it difficult to carry around and store. Finally gray cards need to be used at precise angles to make sure that the light being reflected towards the camera is at the same angle as the light being reflected by the subject.

The ExpoDisc, on the other hand, is much better constructed and convenient to use: it is made of durable materials that will last for years; small enough to fit in your shirt pocket or store with your other filters; and, easier to use since it efficiently captures and averages light from a wide angle in front of the camera which makes it less susceptible to unwanted reflections and precise positioning requirements.

both have pro and con....
but just to let you know....

collapsible grey card need to take out to use and keep it after you done with it, after sometime, either you decide not to use them or spoil already..

exposdisc is handy, just put in your pocket, can take out any time you want it, but easy to get lost, btw, have you lost a lens cap before? that is like a two hundred bucks lens cap you know?

Thanx! Sounds like exposdisc is the way to go. I have designated places to keep the lens cap for each bag I use and make it a habit that it becomes my 'workflow' so I guess I will keep it together with the lens cap.

How does an ExpoDisc differ from a gray card?
Gray cards are generally made out of non-durable mat board to reduce unwanted reflections but overtime they become damaged, dirty and their dyes can shift in color. As a result most gray card manufacturers recommend that the card be replaced after a couple of months of use. To use a gray card effectively it needs to occupy at least 15% of the image frame when setting exposure or color balance. Therefore, in many cases the card needs to be large (e.g. 8" x 10") which makes it difficult to carry around and store. Finally gray cards need to be used at precise angles to make sure that the light being reflected towards the camera is at the same angle as the light being reflected by the subject.

The ExpoDisc, on the other hand, is much better constructed and convenient to use: it is made of durable materials that will last for years; small enough to fit in your shirt pocket or store with your other filters; and, easier to use since it efficiently captures and averages light from a wide angle in front of the camera which makes it less susceptible to unwanted reflections and precise positioning requirements.

Thanx for the detail explanation, I guess I will go Expodisc, but gotta wait till next month before can spend so much.

hmm, before you head off to get your expodisc, you might wanna check out Orient Photo at Sim Lim. they have this disc thingamajig that acts like an expodisc. i got one for myself, and it works really good!! the best part? it costs only 25 bucks. quite a far cry from the expodisc ;p

hmm, before you head off to get your expodisc, you might wanna check out Orient Photo at Sim Lim. they have this disc thingamajig that acts like an expodisc. i got one for myself, and it works really good!! the best part? it costs only 25 bucks. quite a far cry from the expodisc ;p

I think that is the mennon cap. The effect is not as good as expodisc.

I know the price difference is huge, but which one you think will save time and frustration in the long run?

The collapsible grey card from Tagotech is $40 and Cathay is now selling the Expodisk for $170.

there's another version from lasolight, IIRC. a 20cm (??) foldable grey/white disc specially for DSLRs... tho i thot all grey/white cards work the same regardless of film or digital. :think:

the card is cheaper. con is dat u have to prop it up somewhere (or ask someone to hold it up for u if it is big) so that u can take a reading off it to set ur CWB. if u seldom need to set CWB, it might be a better option.

if u need to set CWB often, then the expodisc makes more sense cos it is a one-hand operation. i think CP sells both the neutral and warm versions of expodisc - warm version for portraits. problem is, as mentioned, it is freaking expensive. i've tried other variations of the expodisc - ie. china-knockoffs. none came close to the accuracy.

oh yeah, i've also tried pringles cap, coffee filter, white A4 paper (even tissue paper, once, at a wedding dinner, when i forgot to transfer my exposdisc from my backpack to shoulder bag...) etc... DIYs are usually a hit-miss for me. ;p

Thanx to all the great replies!

No money yet!

:cry:

But I guess I want the original!

The homemade one looks great too! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.