buy a car or rent? advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosycatus

Jun 9, 2004
I need transport for 1 year to to the ultra ulu location of my job.

Was thinking of
a) either buying a second hand then sell it 1 year later...
Will the loss be big?

b) rent it from someone... I've seen the really high prices professional rental companies are asking. Anyone has lobang ? eg, frens who got posted overseas for 1 year, car not in use etc?

I think getting a 2nd hand car is a better idea, though it's a good idea to make sure it's a well conditioned one.

It might be cheaper.

For lesser stress & liability:

C) Taxi, or
D) Car Sharing/Renting

Its easier to stop in the middle, if need to.

Few questions just popped when I read this thread... how remote is remote? Are there still buses serving the area? Are you going to work odd hours? Are taxis easily available in that area? Any experience on availability of taxi after hours? Can you cycle? MRT and buses are going to trial letting foldable bicycles onboard at certain time of the day.

Let's say the answers to the above questions points you towards a car. Have you considered a commercial vehicle? there are quite a few small pickups and vans. vans usually cost less than passenger cars, especially used ones. diesel fuel cost less, diesel engines are more efficient, nobody gives a thwart if you don't wash your van for 3 months, you dun want to drive a flashy new car to a remote work site do you?
on the down side, u need to register a business to buy a van, but IMHO the savings is worth the trouble.

Few questions just popped when I read this thread... how remote is remote? Are there still buses serving the area? Are you going to work odd hours? Are taxis easily available in that area? Any experience on availability of taxi after hours? Can you cycle? MRT and buses are going to trial letting foldable bicycles onboard at certain time of the day.

Let's say the answers to the above questions points you towards a car. Have you considered a commercial vehicle? there are quite a few small pickups and vans. vans usually cost less than passenger cars, especially used ones. diesel fuel cost less, diesel engines are more efficient, nobody gives a thwart if you don't wash your van for 3 months, you dun want to drive a flashy new car to a remote work site do you?
on the down side, u need to register a business to buy a van, but IMHO the savings is worth the trouble.

1. Jurong Island. It is remote. Don't ask me which part. :bigeyes:

2. Ya, seriously i have consider a eurovan... Kinda love those cute Fiat/renualt kangoo.... And they are avaliable at cheap prices...How is the resale value of a second hand van like?

Perhaps you could get a 2 year old Picanto for less than S$30K, fuel efficient too.

ya, considering a picanto.
Just some question about buying

1) have surf sgca*mart and there are direct owners. How do i go about the paper works? What should i look out for?

2) Say, i want to sell it off 1 year later...agar agar how much will i stand to lose? this is after all a 3nd car, or there will be no records of 1st owner?

3) How do i go about taking a loan? Say, i take a 4 year loan or something. After using for 1-2 years, i am quite willingly to say fork out $1K for someone to take over the ownership and continue paying off the loan. Think that will work?

any advice is appreciated

ya, considering a picanto.
Just some question about buying

1) have surf sgca*mart and there are direct owners. How do i go about the paper works? What should i look out for?

2) Say, i want to sell it off 1 year later...agar agar how much will i stand to lose? this is after all a 3nd car, or there will be no records of 1st owner?

3) How do i go about taking a loan? Say, i take a 4 year loan or something. After using for 1-2 years, i am quite willingly to say fork out $1K for someone to take over the ownership and continue paying off the loan. Think that will work?

any advice is appreciated

Since going drive for one year only must as well rent a Van. Some more long term rent is cheaper. No need to worry about maintenance and servicing. Buy 2nd hand later worry how to get rid of it ..... this or that... too much trouble liao or maybe you work there maybe less than one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.