buy a camera from amazon

YOGHURT

Jan 4, 2011
can anyone share the cons (or problems you may have) of buying a camera from amazon and use it in Singapore? like charger, warranty, etc...

or no problem at all ?

Their prices are usually a couple of hundreds cheaper. ;)

Thanks.

You don't get to test the camera like getting from a local shop.

If you shipped to SG exceeding $400, you need to pay 7% GST.

Do your own sum. You need you add the freight cost and GST. Note that you also lose the warranty. It may not be such a tempting proposition once you add up all the costs.

Thanks. I see. guess it is still worth.
take D7000 as an example, normal price @ usa is U$1199 = S$1560 (1.3), plus shipping charge & GST (total S$143.63, from VPost), so you may pay about S$1700 to get it. In Singapore, if you need to pay S$1999, the difference is already 300 bucks.

The best option maybe, buy @ usa, and bring it back Signapore. So you can test it and don't pay GST.

don't they have international warranty ?

take D7000 as an example, normal price @ usa is U$1199 = S$1560 (1.3), plus shipping charge & GST (total S$143.63, from VPost), so you may pay about S$1700 to get it. In Singapore, if you need to pay S$1999, the difference is already 300 bucks.

Hmm... The U$1199 one is body only isn't it? In SG, you can buy the kit at S$2,000 or so, and sell the lens back to shop at S$300. That would end you up with S$1,700 for body only without so much hassle.

At least that's what I did.

nikon service center(singapore) only service/repair local set with local warranty.

don't they have international warranty ?

Fair question. Most if not all camera manufacturers only have local warranty. The camera makers say that the cameras are different in each region hence warranty can only be local. The consumers see this as trade protection practice to discourage you from buying overseas where it is cheaper. My opinion is that it is trade protection as most cameras are exactly the same worldwide.

For me, if the price difference is less than 10% after adding up all the costs then I will always buy local. Cameras do break even new ones and it is often very expensive to fix if there is no warranty.

Thanks. I see. guess it is still worth.

The best option maybe, buy @ usa, and bring it back Signapore. So you can test it and don't pay GST.

in sg, u can get e d7000 local set for e same price of $1700, so for that, i feel its no pt..

Thanks All.
yeah, if can get a local set for a same price of $1700, no points to ....
I thought the price is still $2299 for kit.

I think the lens comes with international warranty but not the body.

Again this is on a country by country basis. Canon M'sia has just annouced that they will cease honouring international lens warranty from 1-July-11. Nikon may be in a similar situation. Best to ring local agent and confirm.

Last edited: