Buy a 5D classic ?

driveanegg

Sep 8, 2009
Choa Chu Kang
The answer to this question is likely "if you dont know what you want you shouldnt get it" ... hahaha but I want to ask anyway.

I own
Canon 450d
EFS 10-22mm
EFS 17-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
EF 24-105mm
CZ ZE 35mm f2
Voit 40mm f2

Have been mystified about the full frame "magic" for a while.
What might you do if you were in my shoes ?

1. Keep everything, shut up and shoot more
2. sell the EFS 17-55mm, get a second hand 5D classic with the $$
3. Sell the entire crop camera/crop lens setup, buy a 5DII with the $$

I shoot just about anything... i dont NEED FF, but I WANT to try FF ;p

Please suggest and please dont flame me .... ;p

If you just want to try out, you should get the 5D classic first instead of jumping in with both feet. Later if you are convinced with the FF magic, then consider selling the crop camera and lenses and switch over completely. You can always resell the 5D classic with minimum loss if FF does not meet your expectation.

You invested quite a bit into EFS lenses and they are already well matched.
Moving to FF you will take quite a hit. If this is just to try, just rent one and shot a bit with the 24-105, and another preferably fixed lens to see if you really like it.
Unfortunately if you do, you will probably get bitten by the BBB virus. LOL.

Didn feel much magic when switched to FF except the much better ISO performance

Ryan

I've been using FF since mid 2007 and never regretted after upgrading from crop. If u buy FF, u've to sell yr entire EF-S lenses and buy new EF lenses.

The thing is, do u really need one?

Didn feel much magic when switched to FF except the much better ISO performance

I used by both crop and FF interchangeability, IQ on my FF is without doubt better than my newer crop.. But the ability to use the Canon 18-200IS makes me deciding to get my second crop... haha

just upgraded 2 weeks ago and i can really feel the "magic" even using the same lens that i use previously on crop and of course the iso performance difference which is quite significant :)

Rent one and see if 5D is worth the upgrade. I did that and decided to keep my crop.

I take pictures for a hobby, so there never is a really need to change the camera.... its really a ITCHY to change ... hahahaha

More comments please ??? ;p

I take pictures for a hobby, so there never is a really need to change the camera.... its really a ITCHY to change ... hahahaha

More comments please ??? ;p

Dun becos u feel 'itchy' for one then change. Have more money in yr pocket is a better investment.

The unknown will always make one curious, that's human nature. As some members have suggested, just go rent a FF camera and shoot for a few days. The day when you need to return the camera, the decision to stick with crop or go FF should be clear to you. Once you have experience of something, it is easy to decide.

usually when some one starts a thread like this.. very soon they will act on it. lol

don't waste time on the classic la, i have it. it is good. But all the 2nd hand ones in the market have been abused so much. you really wanna spend your money on that?

If u really gonna do it just sell your entire crop system and get the 5D mark II la. the 24105 on the 5D2 and CZ and voit should last u quite long.

I used by both crop and FF interchangeability, IQ on my FF is without doubt better than my newer crop.. But the ability to use the Canon 18-200IS makes me deciding to get my second crop... haha

Full frame has 28-300 too. But if you want it cheap, you will have to go for third party ones.

I will recommend you go for a 5d Mk ii. Will pair up really well with your 35mm.

1 thing i can say, using a 5D wud require good glass. So it's not a cheap investment if u dont really noe wat u wan.

with the lens tat u have, it is as good as buyin another system altogether since u probably need more EF set of lens.
Btw why go down tat road of trying out a full frame. Have u exhausted every aspect of photography using ur current set up?

Full frame has 28-300 too. But if you want it cheap, you will have to go for third party ones.

I know.. but Canon's 28-300L is too heavy and troublesome to be a walkaround , in addition the pull-push zooming is not my cup of team.

I am currently looking for a 2nd-hand Tamron 28-300VC as a compromise (it's F6.3 and not 5.6) , however I have yet to find one that is suitable for it's condition and price-point.

Personally I don't see the point of upgrading to FF and then getting these one-in-one zooms to go along with it.
That's like buying a sports car and putting crappy tires on it. You upgrade for a reason. Going down this route, I think he's better off sticking with APSC.